A good place to buy arming clothes.
I was thinking about buying a suit of armour (when hell freezes over and college is over) but I can't find any good places to find arming clothes and gambesons to go under it (and without them armour is pointless).

Can you guys point me to any?
If you're going for later period stuff, you'll need this:

http://historicenterprises.biz/arms-and-armou...1_135.html

If you're going for earlier stuff, I've heard you will pretty much have to go custom to get the proper fit.

M.
It is just sad that despite all the swords and armour we make we don't have much in the way of arming clothes. Luckily for me I am looking for 15th century Italian style armour.
Theres also, Revival Clothing. I know Steel Mastery makes them but I cannot speak to the quality either way as i've never sen them in person.
have a look at web-sites of

Matuls - http://www.matuls.pl/index.php?Lng=1

and

Medieval Designs - http://www.medievaldesign.com/eng-prodotti.asp?form_chiave=20

they have some nice things.

cheers,

Bill
I am currently working on an arming vest that is near completion. The one I am making is completly hand sew'n. I have a few thories on how I can make them quickly. They are arming jacks, not gambesons. 4 layers of padding in between two layers of a light canvas material. The first one I made looks horrible, yet has been proven to take tough abuse from the armour. The arming jack is custom fitted without having measurments. I have been able to accomplish this by lacing the jack up on each side and up the front. If there is any interest, I can take pics and post them. I cannot apply any historically acurate materials being used for this, however I live in texas where it is pretty dang hot and humid, and for me it breathes half-way decently. I have not come to a price yet, though was hoping to make it much more affordable than others out there.
You could get this pattern and have it made by any competent local seamstress/seamster:

https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/rh006-15th-century-burgundian-arming-coat.php?s=&c=22&d=29&q=1&p=541&w=21

I'm told that the respected "Company of Saynt George" favors this pattern series.
I know David Teague has a Matuls arming coat and loves it. He speaks very highly of the work.
Allan Senefelder wrote:
I know David Teague has a Matuls arming coat and loves it. He speaks very highly of the work.

Yeah, and others not so.
Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
If there is any interest, I can take pics and post them. I cannot apply any historically acurate materials being used for this, however I live in texas where it is pretty dang hot and humid, and for me it breathes half-way decently. I have not come to a price yet, though was hoping to make it much more affordable than others out there.

Pics or it didn't happen! :lol:
pics will be posted tommorrow on monday.
Here is the first one I made, you can see just how horrible it is. I was also looking horrible after being suited up for more than a few hours. In the second photo you can see only two tieing points which are hiddeous and do not help for an arming coat. Also note in these two pictures that the shoulders of the coat, well sit right on top of my shoulders. This is a huge dis-advantage. When I lift my shoulders an in turn my arms I am also lifting all the weight of my armour.

here is two pics showing the poor sewing job.

And here is the re-finsihed look. This arming jacket will be laced up on bothe sides and the front. So that when worn it will contour to the body and the weight will be distributed onto your shoulders and your waist. I will be putting in arming points not only for leg armour, though also for my padded/maile leggings. Also you can see the soulders have a slight amount of extra material, so when you lift your arms/shoulders you will not be picking up your entire arming jacket and everything attached to it. All hand sew'n.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: