Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Historical construction of Kite Shields. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have done wood carving for a few decades, and Lindenwood or "Basswood" is the preferred species. I have never heard of one large enough to create a single piece object the size of a kite shield. I suppose they could have been larger in Medieval times, but, as I understand it, they were also revered to a degree. I hate to think of the most sacred ones being cut down simply to make kite shields!

Since I do a little unrelated modern work in composites, and use composite construction in scabbards, I would advocate the idea of overlapped and layered slats or sheets glued while clamped or strapped to a jig as being the most economical and fastest way to make a strong and light weight curved object. I can't prove it was done historically with shields, but, it seems to have been understood and practiced by a great many peoples in making bows and other objects during the same time period being considered in this post. The time saving advantages are especially true when using simple hand tools and a lot of hollowing out with table saws or scorp type draw knifes is to be avoided. The composite construction generally yields the highest strength to weight (improvement factor of 2 to 4 with very simple layups) ratio as well. Gluing a covering layer of cloth or leather with hide glue also fortifies it further. I am unsure of the scientific and historical basis, but have read that period hide glue was more effective at gluing dissimilar materials (cloth leather) to wood than at bonding the wood to itself. Hence, the coverings may have been critical structurally. (As was the analogous "backing" on many bow styles.) As we see this in actual period grip wraps, I would find it likely that the leather and cloth coverings were glued composite fashion over the shields as well with period understanding of the structural advantages of doing so.

Traditionally, beeswax was a cheap enough commodity to weather proof tents since Roman Empire era. Many present day leather workers still include it as an essential sealant/ rigidizer ingredient today. (Most blend it with paraffin wax.) And it is not that costly for sealing formed leather against light or occasional exposure to rain. I would not use beeswax as weather proofing for sea faring applications though. The pine pitch seemed to work well enough to have been utilized in longboat construction. I would guess that it could have proven similarly effective for rawhide or thick leather banding.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Ron Reuter

PostPosted: Wed 23 Dec, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Doughty wrote:
Sam:

Ha ha, this is really funny. I made almost exactly the same kind of jig for making kiteshields some years ago. I found a bad version on the net and decided against it and "invented" the same one as you did. The strips of wood, the ratchet straps, everything.

I guess good minds think the same :>).. Here are my plans for my shield press that I made a few years ago. I tried a few "fancy" ways to clamp, but found the rachets just worked the best.

http://yeoldegaffers.com/project_shieldpress.asp

Ron
Michael Doughty

PostPosted: Thu 24 Dec, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I have done wood carving for a few decades, and Lindenwood or "Basswood" is the preferred species. I have never heard of one large enough to create a single piece object the size of a kite shield. I suppose they could have been larger in Medieval times, but, as I understand it, they were also revered to a degree. I hate to think of the most sacred ones being cut down simply to make kite shields!

My guys in Northern Michigan & Wisconsin report basswoods on their property so large they cannot wrap their arms around them. I'm not sure how thinly our predecessors were able to accurately saw these logs, but if they could cut as thin as ½”, it wouldn’t be too difficult to steam bend into shape, again, using a form to clamp it to.
On the History Channel series Weapons that made Britain, they did some testing that pretty clearly demonstrates the utility composite materials used in shield manufacture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZnTCQptWc

Michael Doughty
Aldùlfr the Shieldmaker
Saxon Shield
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Doughty wrote:

My guys in Northern Michigan & Wisconsin report basswoods on their property so large they cannot wrap their arms around them. I'm not sure how thinly our predecessors were able to accurately saw these logs, but if they could cut as thin as ½”, it wouldn’t be too difficult to steam bend into shape, again, using a form to clamp it to.

I found a growth chart that states the American species can actually grow to 35 inches in diameter. This would theoretically be enough for a single piece shield.

I doubt that they "sawed" them in period era though. I have an 80 year old "sawyer" that lives a couple of miles from me. By tradition, he always "quartered" the felled trees using wedges and a maul after a few months of drying time. Before power tools, axes were used to rough out the timber. Hence, the larger boards used to be limited to 1/4 of the tree diameter or less. Beams, such as for barn roofs, were a special case though.

Thanks for posting the video of the shield with rawhide composite construction. I think it is pretty persuasive for the historical merits of composite construction. I weighed my Sempach scabbard as being around 2 oz with leather covering. (Not including the metal chape which doubles the total weight.) I can jump on it like a trampoline if I support the ends on some logs.

Michael Doughty

PostPosted: Fri 25 Dec, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm aware that boards were usually produced by splitting logs, but saws were certainly not unknown, as demonstrated by the toolbox discovered in Mastrmyr on the island of Gotland Sweden in 1936.

http://www.netlabs.net/~osan/Mastermyr/

If, as has been suggested, kite shields may have been made of a crude form of plywood, they'd need some way to produce fairly thin and smooth boards to bond together. Irregularities in the wood surfaces would tend to form voids in the lamination, and would adversely affect it's structural integrity.

How else could they have done this?

Michael Doughty
Aldùlfr the Shieldmaker
Saxon Shield
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Doughty wrote:

I'm unaware of any extant evidence of pegging being used in shield construction, can you show me an example?

There is at least one shield currently kept in Kristdala Church, Sweden, that supposedly shows the remains of pegs that were used to fasten together the wood before shaping the final form. I'm not sure if there's any literature published on the shields though, but I'll have a look. Maybe some of our Swedish members know more?

And my apologies for the late reply, Christmas got in the way of my internet addiction...

Johan Schubert Moen
Michael Doughty

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanx for that Johan...

Pegging the planks together certainly makes a lot of sense... it's the way I would do it, at least.

Looks like a majority of the shield planks found were quite thin...some as thin as 0.4cm, so I'm assuming pegging would be out of the question in those cases.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/shield/shield16.jpg

If you could give me some more information about this, I'd appreciate it very much.

Michael Doughty
Aldùlfr the Shieldmaker
Saxon Shield
Michael Doughty

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's another possibility:

http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highligh...hield.aspx

Michael Doughty
Aldùlfr the Shieldmaker
Saxon Shield
Jared Smith

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Doughty wrote:

Looks like a majority of the shield planks found were quite thin...some as thin as 0.4cm, so I'm assuming pegging would be out of the question in those cases.

I would hate to peg something like that to. Planing and gluing would not be a problem though. There are still a few craftsmen around in the U.S. that efficiently produce wood shingle siding for entire "cedar shake" style houses using little more than a simple fixture and an axe. (Fairly consistent dimensions of about half of the above common shield planks being the norm.) Fairly good quality wood planes have been found dating back to Roman era England. So I can see how edges and faces could be dressed and straightened as much as needed for gluing. (I doubt the faces of the boards would have to be particularly smooth for gluing the flesh side of the leather.) Artifacts related to plywood (veneering and such) are considered ancient in China and Egypt. But, structural sheet type predecessors of plywood are not known to have started in Northern Europe until around the 17th century.

Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scanning through this thread and trying to keep in touch with it, it does seem clear that we simply don't have a definitive answer to how were they constructed - which is a shame. Damn all those people 800 years who didn't write 'how to manuals'.

For my 2 cents worth though here are my thoughts from the experience of making laminated ply shields, solid timber shields, crossply steam bent laminated shields and butted planked flat and curved shields.

Shield making jigs for single plane curvature shields are the only modern way to go and I suspect historically this must have been so. They are easy to make, you can have a few on the go even in a small workshop and they make shields quickly and reliably to a given curve.

Single plane curvature shields have no need of curving the edges of the planks (barrel stave style) so actually are pretty easy to make; use loads of glue to gap fill, having made sure the edges are planed to go face to face well, and grease the jig before laying the wood on. Dished shields need to have the planks thin for curving and steam bending and will need to be 'barrel staved' to make them fit together (I use a jig for these too) and these are also pretty easy to shape and fit with a plane; not the nightmare you may think.

Solid timber shields take quite a lot longer to shape and finish and waste so much timber. I guess sometimes they made them like this but as with everything there are different quality levels. I am not certain they would be much stronger than a planked and glued shield, but assuming it is stronger by 20% or 30% most buyers would buy a cheaper shield (maybe a third of the price) and suffer the drop in quality. Think Albion verses Windlass - superficially they look similar but are quite different but far more people buy windlass. I simply cannot believe all kite shields were made like this some perhaps, but not all as both are valid and successful methods and it would depend on materials available.

Crossply steam bent are straightforward enough. Steam and bend the timber over a jig, 'stave' the edges and form the dome, do the same again and set at 90 degrees. Again use loads of glue. I have not heard of the pegging system before and so haven't tried it but I can see that working well enough. As a first thought, hazel sticks that have been hit will twist into a knot and a knot onto each side of the planks will clamp the faces down very hard.

Butted and flat are again pretty straightforward but as with all these getting thin timber is the issue, easy now, but more problematic then. As was said earlier, splitting shingles is still done now and also trugg baskets. These are made by boiling oak logs in long troughs and then after cooling they can be split in very thin sheets easily down to 3.5mm/1/8th" I don't know if this works with other timbers but I assume it does. The faces of these thin boards of course have the riven surface and this can be removed by scraping with a cabinet scraper, a technique that was used. This will give a smooth surface. I am not sure this would be too much of a benefit as the keying offered by a riven surface would be huge.

Animal hide glues are fantastic to use and for any that have not used them or doubt their effectiveness then I strongly suggest you go out and play with them - they are great. They are applied hot so you have to work fast, but when they cool they become very sticky, very stiff jelly so they go from fluid to holding pretty well in a couple of minutes and then the rest is air drying and so the final strength comes over the next few days. You can mix them to different consistencies so it can be used in different ways and part of that is too make it fluid enough to soak into leather......This means it will gap fill, it will laminate almost fibreglass, it will stick like hell to pretty much all organics as far as I can tell, it sets fast, it will soften with moisture, but it will also rebond if it has fractured. In short it is great and quite the job for laminating shields.

The one serious downside to animal glues is that they are heavy, so if the shield was crossply laminated with a riven surface there would be some gap filling to do and so this would be done with a heavy glue.

Viking shields seem to be very thin at about 6-8mm and are flat and butted planked construction - this we know. The Normans descended from the Vikings and so a similar technology would seem logical. If a customer asked me to make a kite shield as authentically as possible I would suggest a specification as follows - not to say this is right, just that it is my best guess.

Poplar, lime or pine planks at about 9-10mm thick as finished but made up from 4 planks that are scraped to this thickness so on the jig they would be about 18-20mm thick; bonded in a four faceted curve and scraped to be smooth.
The back face would have a layer of hide glue applied and then linen cloth applied and pressed so that the glue comes through and the excess scraped away. The front face would have a layer of thick hide glue applied at the same time as the cow hide cover had a layer of thin hide glue applied then the shield and the front cover pressed together and rubbed to revove excess glue, the edge pulled round and nailed down. When dry the nails can be removed and the edge of the leather tidied up.

If required the faces of the shield can be dressed down with gesso, a mixture of hide glue and chalk or a moulding compound based in linseed oil can be use for areas of high refeif. The shield can have a rawhide edge applied, but this does in fact add massively to the weight.

No definitive answers I am afraid but some thoughts I hope.

Interesting thread this one............

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Michael Doughty

PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Thanx Tod!         Reply with quote

Quote:
The shield can have a rawhide edge applied, but this does in fact add massively to the weight.

I've heard the edging sometimes described as "Parchment" which is rawhide, but seems to suggest it may have been somewhat thin. I don't think shield edging was intended to hold up to a blow from a sharp weapon so much as to help hold the whole thing together. Stitching with waxed linen thread, sinew, or rawhide lace would probably be the best way to do this, and would have the added benefit that it would be repairable "In the field" without having to carry a pocket full of nails. Also, I think it would be lighter. My tacked-on edges use nearly 200 tacks!

I've just picked up a piece of deer rawhide I have laying around, enough for two 30" round shields, and it weighs about 10 ounces + maybe 1 more for the stitching.

A very interesting thread indeed. Thanx, all.

Michael Doughty
Aldùlfr the Shieldmaker
Saxon Shield
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Thu 31 Dec, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In stead of edging the shield per se, covering it completely in rawhide/parchment and bending the material around the edges is another option. Cloth works as well.

Applying rawhide edges is attractive from a reenactment standpoint, since it is easy to do, and cheaper than getting a large piece of rawhide, but if you're making a shield to last a battle(or not even that), cloth would probably do. I made a heater shield with a few layers of linen covering it, and the edges held up pretty well even when fighting often with blunt blades. I did however get fed up with all the dents after a while, and applied a rawhide edge...

Johan Schubert Moen
Michael Doughty

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan S. Moen wrote:
In stead of edging the shield per se, covering it completely in rawhide/parchment and bending the material around the edges is another option. Cloth works as well.

True enough, but once damaged, it cannot be easily repaired or replaced, and you'll end up applying a separate edge anyway.

I once used a strip cut from a canvas fire hose that, while rather ugly, held up quite nicely. Did I mention it was UGLY?

While we're on the subject of edging, I'm constantly being asked why I don't offer a metal edge like some other makers do. There is some evidence that metal edges were used in pre-Viking times, but the industrial hooped C-channel that I've seen used looks exactly like what it is... not authentic at all.

A really nice alternative is described by Jared Fleury, which he uses on Roman scutums:

http://www.florentius.com/scutumedging.htm

I'd really like to use this technique on a round shield, but metal working really isn't my thing.

Michael Doughty
Aldùlfr the Shieldmaker
Saxon Shield
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Fri 01 Jan, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, this thread inspired me to make another shield.
Granted it's not a kite-shield, but I whole heartedly intend to make one... After completing this one... Then may an Italian style one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8ejfh1c8o
I've got a friend who's parents know a wooden boat maker, and allegedly he steams alot of the planks he uses to make klinkers and whatnot.
So methinks that I may inquire further with that and see where it leads.
Also, keep up the awesome work gentlemen Big Grin

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been following this thread a while, and though I'm in no way an expert, I can't help wondering about the stability of some of the propsed construction methods. Do the plank-type shields have any kind of cross bracing on the back, or is the glue/edging combo all that's holding them together? Granted a shield wasn't meant to last forever, but how did all those joints withstand even a few hard blows? Also, the single piece, carved design seems like it would be prone to splitting. Wouldn't a laminated design be the strongest--and if turned out on a jig--the easiest construction method? I know you guys know way more about this than me, so will somebody explain where my reasoning is going awry.
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jan, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hide glue of reasonable gram strength forms a bond as strong as the wood itself. I don't know enough historical research to comment on whether wood alone, cross bracing, etc, was what they used. Aside: Tod is right on about the virtues of hide glue. The more I work wood the more I use it. It does have some, erm, 'eccentricities' compared to modern aliphatic resins and epoxies.

I don't think they had the technology for laminating wood as in modern plywood. That's made by rotary cutting entire boles into thin sheets. These days it's done with a meters-wide lathe and knife beast. Back then wood was split if possible, plank sawed if not. There are woodblocks showing sawyers making very thin planks but the widths were of course limited to the diameter of the log. Also, that process means the widest planks were necessarily sawn on the quarter which is the worst grain orientation one could choose for something getting pounded on. (Great for soundboards, though Happy )

Surely curved shields were made like other curved plank objects then and now: laid up on a frame (aka mould or 'jig'). Iconographic sources show everything from lutes to boats used frames during manufacture.
Michael Doughty

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Hamilton wrote:
I've been following this thread a while, and though I'm in no way an expert, I can't help wondering about the stability of some of the propsed construction methods. Do the plank-type shields have any kind of cross bracing on the back, or is the glue/edging combo all that's holding them together? Granted a shield wasn't meant to last forever, but how did all those joints withstand even a few hard blows? Also, the single piece, carved design seems like it would be prone to splitting. Wouldn't a laminated design be the strongest--and if turned out on a jig--the easiest construction method? I know you guys know way more about this than me, so will somebody explain where my reasoning is going awry.

Here's a good primer on shield construction that should bring you up to speed:

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manu...hields.htm

Note the "Cut Tests" discussed toward the bottom of the page.

Michael Doughty
Aldùlfr the Shieldmaker
Saxon Shield
T. Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Michael! That really put it all in perspective for me. I guess I had no idea just how much strength was added by facing the shield. I am very much a fan of historic construction techniques, and have been wanting to take a crack at a shield myself. I had been leaning toward a laminated one, but after reading that article, I think I'll go with the plank method!
Michael Doughty

PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T. Hamilton wrote:
I guess I had no idea just how much strength was added by facing the shield...

I posted this link in a previous reply, but it bears repeating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZnTCQptWc

Michael Doughty
Aldùlfr the Shieldmaker
Saxon Shield
William R. Short

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010 4:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Doughty wrote:
Here's a good primer on shield construction that should bring you up to speed:

Thanks for the kind words about our work.

If I may be allowed a shameless plug, I expanded the arms and armor articles I wrote for the Hurstwic site into a book published last year, Viking Weapons and Combat Techniques. It may have more information for those with an interest in Viking-age shield construction and use.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Historical construction of Kite Shields.
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: