Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Observations from the Atlanta Bladeshow Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
Mac,
Congrats on your new dirk as well. I was looking at your pictures Vince's personal S-Hilt. Do you know if he applied his "antiquing" to it. It could just be the lighting in the picture. Just wondering.

Thanks, Stephen !

It must be the lighting, in that pic, as the hilt is 'browned' !

Slàinte, Mac

Turkish Sabre, with pattern welded blade, by Vince !

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Verrrry nice...

Those Vince Evans pieces are absolutely stunning. Every last one of them. Every time I think I've found one piece that sums up his level of skill... I find another that does it all over again! The level of quality here is superb. To own one of his pieces is defnitely a unique privilege.

That isn't to say the other offerings aren't spectacular, they certainly are. Every pic makes me wish I had gone to this show! I certainly hope next year is as good as this year... maybe even better!

The sword is my companion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. This all really makes me wish i could have gone. I need to start saving up pennies for next year... I'll definitely be there.

And I'll get to talk with so many of you whom I just know from little letters and emoticons.

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson on the job for myArmoury.com ....

Nathan chats with an amused Vince Evans !

Nathan shows off the detail on Vince's yatagan !

Yatagan in hand !

Two of the nicest folks you'd ever have the pleasure to meet !

"I'm sorry, sir .... that one is sold, too" !

The ever present crowd gathered at Vince's table !

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Allen W

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had a great time at the show and really enjoyed meeting everyone. Eric, Mike, and Harlan must have immense patience as I needed to handle everything. They were very helpful and informative as were Vince and grace. I was knocked out by the Evan's work at the last two blade shows where I also got to see and appreciate the bulk of Paul Chen's line and as usual their work was excellent. Albion's work was the main draw for me this year as I would finally get a chance to see their work. Of course it was top notch. The oval grips were the most comfortable that I have encountered and leave no doubt as to your absolute control over the blades. Great job Eric. For my money the Solingon was the star of the show.

I really appreciate Joe Fults bringing his Redeemer which was my first direct exposure to the work of Christian Fletcher or A Trim, though I had my doubts, they really deserve the praise they receive on this forum. Likewise Ron Luciano was very courteous to bring his amazing Turcael and 16th cent. cutlass.

Thanks again everyone, especially Albion and Nathan for providing the passes!
Allen W

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Perino wrote:
From a distance the claymore and the other longsword look decent...did you have a chance to handle them?

Both of those swords were tied down but I have handled the claymore before and like most of the Hanwei line it felt very good. The one shown this year had more taper in the blade profile and so probably handles even better.
Alex McCracken

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe the Ohio crew should plan a road trip next year?

Hi Joe. That might be an option. A little too far out to plan,
but maybe. There's so much to do in Atlanta that getting me
there isn't a hard sell. I should be sitting better financially
than this year, assuming Uncle Same doesn't give me the
call again. Maybe we could rent a Winnebago and drive
down there in style? Big Grin

Alex

Pray, n:. To ask that the laws of the universe be
annulled in behalf of a single petitioner
confessedly unworthy.

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Musings on Bladesmiths         Reply with quote

Wanted to share some thoughts on the various bladesmiths I encountered. Now, I'll not spend too much time on Vince Evans; my purchasing habits speak volumns there, and others have spoke quite eloquently on that particular subject. So here goes with the rest.

Kevin Cashen: I am frankly mystified why this man does not have a large cult following. A gracious couple the Cashens, and the work is simply breathtaking. The cuphilt rapier is a marvel of sword construction. He even made the screws out of patternweld. Now think about it, how does one make a patternweld screw? As Kevin did he, he takes a bar stock 1.25 inches in diameter and lathes it down to a 3/16" screw. One slip and you're f***ed. In fact, he told me he snapped two before getting the ones he wanted.

Albion: To be blunt, at their particular price point, the best you can get. Period. I'm something of a sword snob and I gotta tell ya, every sword I handled at their booth felt good in varying degrees. I have certain preferences, of course, but these are wonderful blades. They are priced at roughly twice MRL/Windlass blades, and in my opinion you get more than twice the value. As important to me, though, they are good people Albion.

Richard Rogers: Who, you might ask? He makes high end folders. Really good high end folders. He may well have sold out his table before Vince Evans did. Richard and Sally are great people; good friends with the Evans'. If your interest venture out to art folders, Richard is the man to see. They are based out of New Mexico, and will hit most of the big West Coast shows.

Rob Patton: Young up and comer. He's quite versatile and will work with you on blade design. He made me a spike tomahawk with some design input from me. Good guy. Forges his own damascus blades. Makes really good swords, too. Just passed his Journeyman with the ABS. Lives in Idaho and will be at Knife Expo in Buena Park early next year.

Wes Byrd: Primarily a knife maker. He showed me some patternwelds he did which were wonderful to behold. Very creative old Wes, and very knowledgeable on history. A former nuclear engineer who is doing quite nicely in a second career. His wife Lynne is a delightful woman. Friends of Vince and Grace Evans...yes, I know who ISN'T friends with Vince and Grace.

Hanwei: Now the new generation blades are quite well done, I thought. I am in agreement with David Stokes in that regard. The rep told me that they are likely do the upgrades on the folded line soon. I am not a huge fan of Bohi, however, and would like to see the swords offered with an option.
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jun, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex McCracken wrote:

Maybe the Ohio crew should plan a road trip next year?

Hi Joe. That might be an option. A little too far out to plan,
but maybe. There's so much to do in Atlanta that getting me
there isn't a hard sell. I should be sitting better financially
than this year, assuming Uncle Same doesn't give me the
call again. Maybe we could rent a Winnebago and drive
down there in style? Big Grin

Alex

It would be an honor to have you join us next year Captain Alex. Patrick Kelly, also.
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's been a busy week, and news of Don Nelson's passing made for an awfull homecoming, but here are some of my impressions from the show-

Firstly, it was great to finally meet Nathan and chat with him. Seems a nice fellow, very dedicated. Happy Birthday, Nathan!

Vince Evans- this guy just keeps getting better and better. Hell of a nice guy, and his wife Grace was charming as always. I have to admit that a couple of the pieces he brought last year, while beautifully made and finished, had less than optimal handling. This year evrything was FANTASTIC. The detailing, fit and finish, handling, everything was spot-on. This man may well be the best sword-maker in the world.

Kevin Cashen- sorry we didn't hook up for that cigar. I did get a chance to look at the work- awesome, dude! Unfortunately the show was as busy as always, and I never made it over when Kevin was there.

William Lloyd- winner of Best Sword in show. I've known he and his wife for years, and they are great folks. Exquisite carving. Propps to William on the award!

I didn't get out much, but many participants in the assorted forums were kind enough to stop by and admire my work- it was a pleasure to meet and talk with you all.

I have to say that the biggest (and most pleasant) surprise of the show was from the good folks at Albion. Understand, please, that my contact with thier work has been very limited and mostly included thier older stuff, which while nicely finished and attractive did not by any stretch meet my rather demanding criteria for a 'good' sword. I could not be more pleased to report that that has changed dramatically! I handled a great many of thier new swords, and was universally pleased- and impressed. The quality of the workmanship, the edge geometry, harmonics etc. were all there- these are good swords even by my standards! The people were friendly and knowledgable, and I was also impressed by the professional set-up of thier booth and professional attitude. Whatever problems I have had with them in the past with thier quality, attitude and, er, 'creative' marketing are now just that- in the past. Their company has matured and emerged as one of the best in the business. Simple truth and a good product will do that for you if you let them. Props to Eric and the whole crew- it's a new day for Albion Armorers and I'm proud of you, one and all! It great when we can all get past the trivial bull**** and move on. What more can I say? I am now proud to call Albion Armorers my collegues (even if I can't spell this morning!)

All in all I was very happy with the show and delighted to meet you all. Thank you for making my Blade Show 2004 the best yet!

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another shot of Nathan with Ron's antique 16th century cutlass ....

..... and a good view of the swords thumb ring ( & Nathan's thumb ;-) .

Paul Chen & James Williams pose for the camaras !

Vince making an on-site adjustment !

Kevin Cashen gets an upclose look at Vince's sharp & pointys !

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Some of my photos         Reply with quote

Not as good as some of the other folks took. I got a bit excited. Happy

Attachment: 44.9 KB
DSC00191.JPG
Angel Sword

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Allen W

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since no one else has mentioned it, Albion's booth was conveniently located across from a vacant booth which allowed limited test swings of their wares.
David Stokes

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup! I got to swing a few of their blades.
Also id like to Thank Tinker for "Hanging out"
Tam and i where over talking to him and it was time for this break, so we grabbed a few swords and went out back on the loading docks, so i got to swing a few around........
I like that eurotana, and he had a waisted longsword as well that handled like a dream, but he had this nice slim bladed longsword, blue leather grip.......... just felt soooo nice in the hand........ I nicknamed it Glamdamn........ hehehehe
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wanted to quickly share some photos I took at the show this year.

First, here's a couple pics of the Albion booth and their wares that were on display:

A close-up of some pieces in the CAS Iberia booth, including their very nice early dueling sabers:

Here's some photos of the pieces that Vince Evans graced us with:

Michael McRae of Scotia Metalworks:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Allen W

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These are excellent photos. More so since none of you had any control over the lighting and little over the placement of your subjects.
Stephen S. Han

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Tinker Pierce         Reply with quote

I knew I forgot someone important in my above post! My apologies to Tinker. I always enjoy conversing with him, for his technical knowledge, as well as just BS'ing around. Good man, our Tinker. He had some great looking and feeling swords on his table, as well as an amusing tale or two to tell. I hope someone ended up buying that one hander that was "stupid cheap." Alas, I had run out of money by that time.

Was on Kevin Cashen's website and it would appear that the pattern-welded smallsword is sold. All he has left available is that beautiful cuphilt rapier. Congratulations to Kevin.

Note on one of the photos above. I did NOT stab Mike Sigman. Nope, wasn't me.

To follow up on David Stokes and his lovely lady Tamara. Tamara is not only lovely, but also a real good sport. She did not grab the nearest sharp object and skewer me, even though I played a joke on her with some oosic. If you know what oosic is, then you know the kind of juvenile joke I played on her. Good on ya, David.

To all who took photos and posted them. Thanks for letting me relive the wonderful experience. Like a goof, I forgot to pack my own camera; actually what I was doing was to fight off another racial stereotype. Laughing Out Loud
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It was great to see ya agin too, Steve! Yes that sword sold to a fella who was standing nearby when I showed it to you guys. Nice plain type XII, just been around for a couple of years and Larry (owner of Bladeart) wanted it gone, so it went for a rather modest price. I love to see someone walk happily off with a new sword... preferably AFTER they have paid for it.... Razz
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just a couple more pics from my batch.

Mac & Harlan telling fish tales..."No, really, it was this big!"

Attachment: 68.41 KB
Mac & Harlan.jpg

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Me with Albion beauty, dreaming of next year & contemplating how long I have to eat nothing but bologna sandwiches for lunch 'til I can't buy one of these....

Attachment: 39.1 KB
Albion dream.jpg

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Observations from the Atlanta Bladeshow
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: