New Work, Langseax with carved grip and leather over top.
Hey guys, here is a langseax that I made to get a feeling for making a blade this large and work through some handle designs and work with carving some more. The blade is 27 3/4" long with a 10" handle and the balancing point is about 7" forward of the grip. The spine is a healthy 1/4" and is just over 2" wide. I'll leave it at that for now and let the pictures do some talking. The piece is for sale at this time.

Attachment: 84.07 KB
100_3430_x.jpg

Attachment: 78.2 KB
100_3416_x.jpg

Attachment: 89.12 KB
100_3413_x.jpg

Attachment: 90.53 KB
100_3426_x.jpg

Attachment: 81.7 KB
100_3423_x.jpg

Attachment: 93.52 KB
100_3419_x.jpg

Nice
All I can say is wow...that is a beautiful piece. If only I wasn't so poor right now :p
Yeah, more good work, and I'm running out of compliments. ;) :cool:
I'll probably regret asking this but how much are you asking for this one? If you could shoot me a PM that'd be great.
Mike Capanelli wrote:
I'll probably regret asking this but how much are you asking for this one? If you could shoot me a PM that'd be great.

OhOH: I think someone is DOOMED, asking is usually buying if one can possibly afford it. ;) :p

Mike look at it as an investment because in a few years Michael's prices and wait times may go way up ..... yeah, that's it keep thinking of it as an investment. ;) ( Oh, not just a financial one in the sense that you might get more for it down the line but that in a few years you might not be able to afford it and it will be a very special piece of your collection + it's really beautiful ).

Do it, you know you want to. :p ( This is very mean of me. :D ).
now, I know that the seax was not exclusively used in combat. what was the longseax used for? was it pretty much the same, or was it a weapon only.
More beautiful work Michael!!!! I love the grip on this one. The shape of it really compliments the blade shape shape.
Getting a bit of "viking samurai" vibes from this one. Good stuff!
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. This was a fun little project and I'm looking forward to trying to make more of these larger seaxes.

J. Scott, I think seaxes of this size were pretty much weapons of war, but I'm no history expert so please don't quote me on that.
J. Scott Moore wrote:
now, I know that the seax was not exclusively used in combat. what was the longseax used for? was it pretty much the same, or was it a weapon only.

I think ones this size were used for carving really large game. Imagine whipping it out at the Thanksgiving Table. :)
Mike Arledge wrote:
J. Scott Moore wrote:

I think ones this size were used for carving really large game. Imagine whipping it out at the Thanksgiving Table. :)

I know I'd get a pretty big kick out of it. :D

Mr. Pikula, I've seen some of your other peices, and I have to say, I never cease to be impressed. very, very impressive.

(It's just Scott, btw, :cool: )
J. Scott Moore wrote:
The long sax replaces the sword/broad sax combo in the earlier (7nd century) graves. So either it's a combination of both functions, or it's a completely different fighting style that made the long sax more favourable. Double edged swords do stay in use though, so it could represent a different type of warrior. What's interesting is that the longsax combines both functional aspects of the broad sax and sword (single edge and long hilt, as well as increased length and reduced width more like the sword), but it also assumes decorative elements from the double edged sword (patternwelding, which was not applied to earlier saxes, and actual fullers rather then just decorative lines). Mikael's long sax is the first reproduction that I know that actually captures all functional aspects perfectly, which is a great thing to see (esthetical aspects are a bit less historical, but that's me being nitpicky! :)). The shape of the blade is correct, the shape and construction of the hilt as well, including the leather covering (though probably not all had that).

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: