A new kind of fight club
I stumbled across this video and thought this was kinda cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqwt_dh3PA&feature=related
Armour is always cool... but in this video most of that armour was really crappy mix of different styles and fantasy stuff, also it seemed that majority of people had very vague idea how to wear it - some, obviously, were somehow strapping it on without any sort of proper sub-armour garments at all. Then again, they were rather obviously having fun with this so good for them.
take a look at these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whKwYyyOxqE

and related videos

in east europe they use to beat hard.
I have yet to see a knight group that fights with armored combat techniques :\

I'll you see in these groups are a bunch of guys in armour wacking each other till they get tired or hurt. I would love to see a group that have armour and have studied the armoured combat teachings of Hans talhoffer and other fencing masters.
Reece Nelson wrote:
I'll you see in these groups are a bunch of guys in armour wacking each other till they get tired or hurt. I would love to see a group that have armour and have studied the armoured combat teachings of Hans talhoffer and other fencing masters.

They're definately out there. Sadly, they don't get as much publicity. While I don't care very much if groups such as the ones in the above links exist and have fun with what they're doing, I do find it disappointing that the general public assumes these are representative of realistic martial arts.
It looks like a pretty good way to trash your armor, end up hurting yourself or someone else, and getting all WMAs outlawed in your area. :wtf:

Don't get me wrong, I understand more than most that the point of a deed of arms is to demonstrate your skill - but I also believe in courtesy and chilvalry. There are rules in modern WMA organizations for a reason. You don't punch your opponent in the back of the head repeatedly with an armored gauntlet or jump full force en arma onto a supine opponent - these (among other actions I observed in the video) are capable of seriously injuring or killing someone, moreso considering the apparent ill-fit and incomplete composition of their harnesses. This does not appear like anything more than a poorly-armored, unregulated MMA match by people that appear not to have alot of respect for WMA organizations out there.

If someone is seriously hurt or killed in this so called medieval fight club - then the media will naysay/slander everyone in any medieval combat community and hurt the reputation as a whole. This is exactly the type of ammunition anti-sword activists are looking for against us.

Just my .02 on it...

Last edited by JE Sarge on Tue 02 Jun, 2009 2:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Re: A new kind of fight club
Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
I stumbled across this video and thought this was kinda cool
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqwt_dh3PA&feature=related

WWF with swords and armour is how it looks. Not a good look.
One hopes that a lot of that was staged. Much of it looked very... well, mass-media-y, and, to boot, dangerous if not pre-choreographed.
WWWMAF perhaps?
Stone Cold Steve Maxamillion vs Hulk Greenwich!
Thats exactly what i was thinking... forget about period accuarcy and go for a modern entertainment value of a bunch of joe blows turning famous while fighting in some crappy, replaceable armour. an upgrade from backyard wrestling lol
Yeah, for destroying the image of legitimate HEMA practitioners! I know there are Ren. Fair participants on this website, so I'll save my personal opinions about what goes on at those, but this is the kind of stuff we have to deal with out there when people who are innocently ignorant of what HEMA is, start of with this kind of notion in their heads.
Alessio J. Orlandi wrote:

in east europe they use to beat hard.

My former reenactmentgroup I was in did massevents in Eastern Germany where Polish, Russian and other eastern europe reenactors take part in the battle. There even was a Russian group that was not allowed to join the battle because they fight with SHARP spears, halberds and swords.

back ontopic : I really enjoyed the video, because it is a terrible waste of armour and swords. They should form or join a reenactmentgroup so they can use the armour (with some adjustments ofcourse)and fight properly. The most costs (armour, swords) they already made so the next step to authentic is a little one.

greetings,

Gert-Jan
Reece Nelson wrote:
I have yet to see a knight group that fights with armored combat techniques :\

lol
the only fighting style i love is halfswording like should be done in armour, or even more, fighting with my poleaxe

down side is i haven't got enough protection to fight like a full plate so i end up bruised most times=p

unless with my poleaxe, this weapon just eats full plates like sandwiches so to speak
I'd rather you checked this out: a training session for group and individual sword and shield fighting. Some of the best s&s fighters in Poland. Please note the footwork and the general speed. Also please note that all the fighters have adequate protection, train with pretty light wood here. As they take part in events with various timeframes, the armour elements differ in style.

All of these guys are good friends and very cool people, not the least bit aggressive in everyday life. It looks far more dangerous than it really is. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZVSbI-kLvU

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: