Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > flintlock Rifle Kits Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryce W

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: flintlock Rifle Kits         Reply with quote

For a while now I have been looking around for a decent quality rifle kit (flintlock) that i could build. Unfortunately for me in this case, I live in canada, and our dollar is weaker than it was a while back, so i'd be interested in finding somewhere within canada. What i'm looking for is something of a decent calliber ie. 54-62ish. While not imperative, It would also be good if it were before 1812 time period (i'm in a kentucky militia unit, so it doesnt really matter if it were a military rifle style). Additionally, i'm trying to stay away from pedersoli kits as i dont like their form and styling.
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Flintlock kit recommendations...         Reply with quote

Bryce:

Saw the post, thought I would reply. This is only the tip of the ice berg below. And although I have no direct links to Canadian kits, no need to go that route myself; there are folks on the last two links that can direct you.

[Your going to need tools!] If you are already familiar with Pedersoli....then hate to say it but outside of a "custom kit". Chambers???? Customer service is out of sight too.

Anyway...

Just a few, there are tons out there. Do your research, just as in anything. These three below are USA. However...the other forum links, I know if you post there are folks there that have kits etc. Just have to ask. I know the Canadian "d" may be weaker, but Chambers is hard to beat.

Jim Chambers. The caddy of kits. http://www.flintlocks.com/
Track of the Wolf. Has a bit of everything. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(llgdz5izfolv...index.aspx
Mike Brooks. http://www.fowlingguns.com/

American Longrifle Forum. All over the world. Canadian folks post on a regular basis. And discuss US to Canadian shipping and cost issues all the time. Just ask. Great bunch of folks, totally open and very accomodating. They will help you on anything, just ask. http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/

The Muzzleloading Forum. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/fusionbb.php Again, another one from all over the map. A bit more picky, if you will. Critical might be a better word. Still, all and all a good place to start.

Both of the two forums above have numerous posts on caliber size and "shooting effects"! There be a big difference between a .45 and .62! I have found that .54 and .62 take place over the .58 cal. All facets are covered in that regard. No need to deliniate them all here! Just search the forums. And again, am sure that somehow someone in those links can help you out.

Thanks and have fun!

PM if you got any more questions.

Scottish: Ballentine, Black, Cameron, Chisholm, Cunningham, Crawford, Grant, Jaffray, MacFarlane, MacGillivray, MacKay-Reay/Strathnaver, Munro, Robertson, Sinclair, Wallace

Irish/Welsh: Bodkin, Mendenhall, Hackworth

Swiss: Goss von Rothenfluh, Naff von Zurich und Solland von Appenzel
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perry covered the subject of where to look for kits very well and I cannot add anything to what he said. However, I can add this tidbit. Building a kit is not easy! In fact, building a kit can be just as difficult as putting a gun together from scratch, especially if the kit itself is not well done. The recommendation of Jim Chambers is an especially good one. Jim lives a few miles from here and puts out a very high quality product. However, his kits, as good as they are, are also not easy to build, especially if you lack experience and understanding of how the gun goes together. If you have some experience with hand tools and shaping wood as well as fitting metal to wood, then you can probably do OK. But, if you do not, look for a mentor to help you.

Even a pre-inletted kit will require a lot of special tools that are not found in the average home work shop.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > flintlock Rifle Kits
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic