Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your feelings on sword stamps/ marks Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
As the original poster has stated over and over again (by now, at least 3 times), he is talking about maker's marks on reproductions of pre-1100 weapons, which, historically, were rarely seen. He was asking for opinions, and just because he (apparently?) did not agree with yours, doesn't mean that he did not take it into consideration. It seems that you are making quite a few assumptions.

Dustin, as you'll recall my first response mentioned a maker ( Luther Sowers ) who stamped his work, multiple times in fact , after learning that some of his pieces were being antiqued and sold as origninal items. Daniel, asserted that this was not something a smith should do as what happens to his work after it leaves his hands is not his concern. I pointed out museum restorers do the same thing for the same reason and solicited if Daniel thought based on his statement regarding smiths marking thier work, a reasonanble solicitation of opinion I believe. As you missed my post regarding Mr. Sowers i'll reprint it here:

Quote:
I can tell you one reason. I had a discussion with Luther Sowers a number of years ago about a sword he'd done back in the 70's that I came into possesion of. He had his makr on one side of the blade, date on the other and it turned out three more hidden stamps all becauase he had become aware that people were " antiquing " his work and selling it as original material. He had actually stumbled on one of his pieces in and antique store being sold as and original item.

And Daniel's response :

Quote:
As for antiquing: yes, there are unscrupulous individuals but a) I don't really see how it is a pressing concern for a sword smith b) people should have it investigated by an authority on swords/ know enough about swords themselves before handing over the kind of money a genuine antique requires.

Last edited by Allan Senefelder on Tue 26 May, 2009 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since it has been asked about pre-1100 makers marks, I can add a bit. In the La Tene (I'm sure people get tired of hearing that from me by now), stamps on blades are not all that uncommon. These range from animals, anthropoid figures/features, astrological, and just things... Are these makers marks? Maybe, maybe not. They might be makers marks, tribal marks, or of some spiritual significance. We will never know for sure. When I picked a mark that I wanted to use, I picked one of these stamps. As of now I have yet to start marking my work though.

Shane
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allan Senefelder wrote:
As you missed my post regarding Mr. Sowers i'll reprint it here:

Hi Allan, It seems as though you have made another assumption. I did not miss this post the first time through.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As long as the maker’s mark is unobtrusive, in good taste, and would not be out of place on a medieval sword, I am strongly in favor of it. A bad example is the Windlass MADE IN INDIA, but as Jean said, it can be scraped off.

Besides the reasons already set forth, here are some others:

If a sword is being resold, a maker’s mark will tell me that the sword is really an Arms and Armor sword, and not some inferior copy.

Many of the fine swords being made today will still be around in a hundred years or more. The maker’s mark will inform our descendents who made them. One guy who refuses to put such an ID on his work is Angus Trim, so his credit will be lost down the line.

Maybe I should go back and reread this thread more carefully, but I don’t remember you saying why you didn’t want a maker’s mark on a pre-1100 recreation, besides the fact that many of them were not marked. Well, these aren’t pre 1100 swords, but 21st century replicas that look like those originals. As such, a maker’s mark will let people know that it isn’t an original, though very few swords that old would be in great shape.

You can always ask the swordmaker to leave off his maker’s mark, but I don’t think you will find anyone besides Gus Trim who will do that for you. Your request would be not entirely unreasonalbe, but pride in their work, plus all the other reasons listed in this thread will get you an unfavorable response.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi Allan, It seems as though you have made another assumption. I did not miss this post the first time through.

Wonderfull, then what didn't you understand? Is there something you're unclear about regarding my question, perhaps I need to elborate.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To everybody:

Please play nice.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

An interesting debate so far. I personally have to agree with the smith on this one. I think that it is reasonable to expect that any smith, especially the more prominent ones will mark the issue from their workshop. Not only does it allow them credit for their work, it also makes it harder to pass off as an antique, and easier to identify a forgery of their own work. To use the car analogy someone brought up earlier, an auto maker may not be resonsible for someone driving into a lamp-post, but they do use things like anti-lock brakes, airbags, seat belts, and other devices to lessen the chance that the customer will be injured. A maker's mark can serve the same purpose. I have also heard of some smiths making slight alterations to a design (reversing the 'S' on a basket hilt) to safeguard their work in a 'less' noticeable way.

I personally like the approach of one of my favorite smiths. He is fully capable of producing a sword that would be indistinguishable from an antique without carbon dating. He chooses to mark his pieces with the same mark for all periods but he does them in the style of the period and culture of the sword he is making. for example, iron inlay in a viking pattern welded blade, incorporated into the cartouche of an Arabian blade. This allow historical accuracy and his mark to co-exist rather well I think.

Regardless of reason, I do think it's a bit unrealistic to ask an artist not to sign his or her work in some way. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Michael Curl

PostPosted: Tue 26 May, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It also must be remembered that a mark is like a brand, if you see a mark of a reputable manufacturer then you know that it stands for quality, and that you can trust that sword, which makes a sword more valuable if you resell it as an anonomyous seller is not very trustworthy but a mark (if not faked) can be trustworthy.
E Pluribus Unum
Dustin R. Reagan

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My 2 cents:

It comes down to how accurate of a reproduction you are wanting. That being said, although it may be an annoyance to your sensibilities, I don't think it is unreasonable of the smith in question to refuse to make a piece without his customary mark. It is his perogative (and as Mr. Senefelder has pointed out, the smith may even feel that it is his responsibility). Remember, most sword smiths today are not in it for the money, but for their own form of non-monetary gratification. If the smith in question is willing to lose business over this, so be it...he (or she?) is doing what they feel they should.
Daniel Michaelsson

PostPosted: Thu 28 May, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan P wrote:

It's just not something I would really think of asking. Sure, it might be an exacting reproduction of an antique sword, but it's made in modern times by a modern craftsman who deserves consideration and recognition by modern standards.

I think that is my main issue really - I don't want to be reminded that it is a product of the 21st century. I'd like to hold a sword in hand and go back in time, figuratively speaking; a stamp impedes my ability to do this.
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's what I love about my Angus Trim 42 1/2" practice Rapier blade. There is no etched stamp on it. Big Grin

At that, I have no problem with a maker's mark on the blade, it makes blade origin identification easy.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot anyone?
Don Stanko

Reading list: 482 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are looking for historical examples of early swords with maker's marks, I would suggest researching Illerup Adal. These iron age swords are about 1800 years old and they had many maker's marks recorded on the blades. Some were even stamped with names. One was marked "ACRESSIMM" and another was marked "LOISIM". A little earlier than you are talking about but I thought it might help.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's the sword makers right to mark his product as he wishes, that's part of a free market system. It's the buyers right to seek satisfaction elswhere if this detail is a sticking point, that's also part of the free market system. Requiring a maker to leave his product unmarked, and therefore unidentified as his effort, is unreasonable.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 30 May, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
It's the sword makers right to mark his product as he wishes, that's part of a free market system. It's the buyers right to seek satisfaction elswhere if this detail is a sticking point, that's also part of the free market system. Requiring a maker to leave his product unmarked, and therefore unidentified as his effort, is unreasonable.

Asking is legitimate, requiring just means being told no or choosing to buy from someone else.

As to marks themselves I don't think there is one absolute rule or one period where it was NEVER done but there may be periods and places where it was uncommon.

In part it may just be a personal aesthetics thing were any makings on a blade seems like defacing it instead of leaving it pure and clean ! But then there used to be a time were the slightest scratch on anything would drive me crazy but then I got older and stopped being obsessive/compulsive about it.

Personal choices, personal preferences and nothing inherently good or bad about blade markings ( Unless really ugly markings. Wink ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your feelings on sword stamps/ marks
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: