Example of Broad one handler type XVIII
Hi all,

Looking for examples (pictures) of one handed type XVIII with very broad and hollow ground blades. I can find some type XVIIIc with that kind of geometry, but can't think of any one handed ones. Pics would be most welcome (museum or period art).

Cheers,

J
Very broad and hollow ground is rare I think; I believe that the more slender blades lean towards the hollow grind while the broader ones are almost all diamond.

Not sure if this one from the Musée de l'Armée in Paris counts, as it might not be 'very' broad. I'm pretty sure it's hollow ground.

[ Linked Image ]

M.
Thanks for the pic M., but not broad enough for my taste! :)
Check out Records XVIII.1, .6, and .13. I consider short , wide, and hollow ground to be standard for the type.
Not sure what I did wrong; I used the image tags and a direct link to the image.

M.
This thread has some nice pictures by Gordon Clark of one currently exhibited in the Frazier:
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=
I love these short, broad little hollow-grounds too!
Dan
Hi Dan,

That's spot on (overall shape and lines is exactly what I meant). With the one already in Oakeshott's records of the medieval sword that's two! I wonder if those feature just a very strong central ridge or an actual hollow ground blade (the one from records seems to (on the left below). That's sometimes hard to figure out from pictures only.

So very similar hilts and pommel so far. If any of you have encountered different hilts mountings, don't hesitate to let me know (this will very likely my first custom sword order once I settle on a design). I plan to commission Mark Vickers for this as I briefly inspected Matt (Easton) type XVIIIc longsword and the hollow ground blade was amongst the best I've seen on a replica (save maybe for Peter Johnson's own prototype of the swante).

Cheers,

J

ps: "I consider short , wide, and hollow ground to be standard for the type." Well I have seen dozen's of one handed sword with slender blades of this type, but very few wide ones so far.

Attachment: 25.56 KB
TypeXVIII_sideBySide.JPG

Not a period photo but this one by A & A seems like the right type ?
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/sword188.html
Here is a photo of some of the Castillon swords. A few of them are what you are looking for. The one on the far left looks like it is the same sword pictured in one of the previous posts.

Attachment: 39.09 KB
DordogneCastillon.jpg

Here is a sword I found at Hermann Historica - first half of 15th century, about 37inches overall length. The pommel looks very like the one on the "Henry V sword."

Attachment: 10.97 KB
sword_hh_1425b.jpg

Attachment: 21.46 KB
sword_hh_1425a.jpg

Here is A&As Edward III blade in their Duke of Urbino mounts. Not really a hollow grind but it is wide, for a single hander. It is a broad handful.

Cheers

GC
Thanks a lot Roger, great pictures.

so Cross type 8 and J.1 pommels, for all of them....it appears to be very little variation for that particular blade shape.

I was kind of hopping some different design would come up (fishtail pommels and such)

Cheers,

J
Here's another one of similar form to the Castillon examples, but dated to c. 1380. It's the sword of Pierre de Cros (according to the heraldry and title on the pommel).

Attachment: 14.48 KB
de cros 1.jpg

Spendid sword Chad, keep them coming! :)
Here's one in Higgins, MRL used to make a copy of it. The grip on that sword Roger posted looks just like how Albion does it!!!! I always thought albion had just kind of come up with that.
[ Linked Image ]
That's a nice sword too Zach, but a type XIV from what I can see on the picture.
Here's another Castillon sword, from a Sotheby's catalogue of December 2003.

Attachment: 13.31 KB
castillon 1.jpg

Attachment: 37.12 KB
castillon 2.jpg

Attachment: 79.75 KB
castillon 3.jpg

Oh sorry, it probably is what you say I'm not to good at the different types, I just thought you were interested in shortish one handers with very broad blades. My bad.
Oh I think I remember another one that may have been an xvii I don't remember it very well it was by windlass/MRL and called the duke of arbedo sword... I'll look for a pic of the original.
Z :)
Perhaps not what you're looking for but I love it so I'm sharing these photos of it.

Royal Armouries, Leeds
IX.3683
Possibly English, mid 15th century
Reported to have been found in the River Dordogne near Castillon la Bataille

Attachment: 54.48 KB
IX.3683.jpg
Copyright Royal Armouries, Leeds
Zach Gordon wrote:
Oh I think I remember another one that may have been an xvii I don't remember it very well it was by windlass/MRL and called the duke of arbedo sword

Hi Zach,
Yes I remember the discontinued Arbedo sword (http://www.firebloodarms.com/FB21042.html). A bastard sword though :)

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Perhaps not what you're looking for

That's exactly what I'm after you mean Nathan! It is a splendid sword and I'll be sure to take pictures when I go to leeds at the Royal Armouries. Wide blade, pronounced hollow ground/central ridge, needle sharp point. I'm amazed to find out through this topic that this particular type of blade geometry allows for practicly no hilt variations...all similar like peas in a pot.

I love the castillon swords, and I can't wait to raise the cash for this custom (I'll probably mix the design of all the castillon swords above).

My only concern is weight, as wide blades such as these tend to be quiet heavy. M Vickers at St George Armoury who I contacted gave me an estimate of 3.3 pounds and 6.3 mm thick (1.5 kg, a sword such as the sovereign or kingmaker weighting around 1.25 kg). He has handled swords from this find in the past.

Cheers,

J

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: