Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather Armour: Viking/Medieval Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next 
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If linen was available, it is highly unlikely that leather would have ben used in the construction of armour. All of the most reputable tests conlude that layered linen provides far far better protection than leather of a similar weight. There is nothing to suggest that leather has been used for anything other than a cover for armour with layered textiles.
Steven H

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadrian Coffin wrote:
Hi,
Unfortunately I can not explain every step in the tests as that would defeat the purpose of my article. However I can say this garment was designed from three examples: Cu Chulain's cneslenti (but alternating with leather instead of just rows of linen), a possible (though unlikely) manufacture of the Dublin gambeson, and the lewis chess men "berserker" tunic. This is obviously purely speculative but entirely plausible. The point of these experiments was to find a reasonably effective garment, of leather, made using only historical tools. This combined with artistic and archeological evidence is designed to help find the plausibility of a pre-12th century leather armour. This study is not designed to find the exact method of manufacture of any item so a re-enactor can have a historical copy, but to figure out various ways a cathchriss or couton may have been manufactured. It was designed as an experiment to further a hypothesis not prove a point. Wink

Ah! You're publishing it. Very good. But it means we have to wait. <sigh>

Thanks,
Steven

Kunstbruder - Boston area Historical Combat Study
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When can we expect this article to be published? And where?
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 16 May, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry it sems I missed that,
Late fall/early winter
Best
Hadrian
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Sun 17 May, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hadrian Coffin wrote:
Sorry it sems I missed that,
Late fall/early winter
Best
Hadrian

Very well, best of luck with your publication, and make sure to let us know when it will be ready. Some of us might not agree with your conclusions, but it will certainly be an interesting article to read.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
If linen was available, it is highly unlikely that leather would have ben used in the construction of armour. All of the most reputable tests conlude that layered linen provides far far better protection than leather of a similar weight. There is nothing to suggest that leather has been used for anything other than a cover for armour with layered textiles.

Neither is there anything to sugest that something hasn't been TRIED just because its stupid... Wink
Though chances that it will become popular is slight.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Cuchulain is said to be wearing 27 cneslenti. Old works translate this as "hide tunics" but modern scholars believe that the word is used to describe multiple layers of textiles - probably linen. The word "leinte" is a possible derivative of "linen". The passage cannot be used as an example of Irish leather armour except for his girdle [cathchriss] which I have trouble imagining how it was worn and how much of the body it covered. Has anyone attempted a reconstruction

This is interesting, 10th-11th century.

As we know, most period authors wrote mythical stories based on the customs and practices of their own time, they were not archaeological based reconstructions of the past.

27 layers of linen makes a heck of a lot more sense than 27 layers of hide. Even using a light 4oz weight leather, you would have a garment in the 100+ pound range.

With a medium-light linen fabric (6oz/sq yard), you would be looking more around 20-25 pounds or so.

But I find this interesting as this looks to be very similar to the 20+ layers of linen type garment described in a few other but later sources.

Quote:
Over that outside he put his hero’s battle girdle [cathchriss] of hard leather, tough and tanned, made from the best part of seven ox-hides of yearlings, which covered him from the thin part of his side to the thick part of his arm-pit; he used to wear it to repel spears [gai] and points [rend] and darts [iaernn] and lances [sleg] and arrows [saiget], for they glanced from it as if they had struck against stone or rock or horn.

It apparently was worn under a hide/leather curiass - the information on the leather "girdle" makes sense to me. To really provide any effectiveness as armour, leather either needs to be very thick, or very hard, or a combination of both. Not cuir-boilli necesaarily, a very thick vegetable tanned curiass that's exposed for a long time to the tanning agents would get pretty hard as well, and if thick enough (probably 12oz weight+) could function as armour.

But it would be fairly rigid, a "girdle" type cuirass would make the most sense.

The other thing I find interesting - the 27 layers of linen were worn under an outer protection of leather - could they have been worn under mail as well?

Just as a comparison though - To give an idea of the thickness of leather needed to provide true armour protection - your heaviest protective leather motorcycle jackets top out at about 2mm - and these are fairly stiff. A "Buff Coat" seems to have been in the 3-5mm range, thinner in the sleeves (3mm?) thicker on the torso (5mm?), and these were more of a suede type material, which in comparison is relatively supple.

The better part of 7 oxhides actually makes sense to me as well. Real thick leather, like the 3-5mm stuff of a buff coat comes from the areas of hide on a cow that are the thickest.

Would it have taken 7 ox-hides to make? Not entirely, but if looking for the thickest parts of the hide on a cow, this makes more sense, as much of the hide would not be of sufficient thickness. Add to this the fact cow of the middle ages was not as big as todays, and their hides were likley proportionately thinner.

But I thik the important part as far as this type of a leather garment in common use as armour - It WAS expensive. They measure the true "cost" of putting the leather girdle at 7 cows or so. 7 cows puts it up there with mail if you look at the historic mail to cow cost Wink . Kidding to a point, but serious as well.

Also you can look at the "Buff Coat" which is described as in the mid 17th century as very expensive from a period quote, costing 10L for a good one, the cheaper ones running 4-6L. Another mid 17th century document shows metal cuirass' in the 2-4L range, though a full "armour of proof" is about 14L, though I'd guess this as more than just a cuirass.

I think this shows leather armour at the thickness needed to be effective as true armour was never "cheap".

Now, Ireland in the 9th-10th century was fairly heavily pastoral based, apparently more so than England (a few centuries later they wer exporting cattle to England), so they were probably "hide rich" in comparison to other areas, but It's also been said at this time Ireland was "metal poor". So economically this leather armour may have made a bit of sense, a coat of mail being more rare/cost prohibitive.

But even so, apparently it was still an expensive piece of armour.

But the 27 layers of linen as actually what piqued my interest.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's fascinating to me how much we borrow ancient technology for modern-day usage. The body armor I wear today, which is intended to stop handgun caliber and velocity projectiles, is layered fabric just like the armor worn 1,000 years ago. Sure, it's made out of kevlar or similar aramid fibers instead of the earlier materials, but it proves the effect of layered woven fabrics in stopping violent impact.

The latest improvement in body armor are the plates of Dyneema, a thermoplastic, layered in a similar manner. A 10" x12" plate weighs 3 pounds, and can take multiple hits from high-velocity rifle rounds including 7.62 NATO and 300 Winchester Magnum. Compare that to steel or cermaic plates and it just goes to show that the idea of woven fabric layers that has been in use for countless centuries is still in current use by warriors.
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Leather armour         Reply with quote

As has been pointed out repeatedly in the various discussions on leather armour, if leather was expensive and any such leather or leather/textile combination armour was considered a luxury it makes some sense within the ethos of conspicuous display of the wealthy elites of martial societies geared to warfare to wear them. Just a thought.

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
if leather was expensive and any such leather or leather/textile combination armour was considered a luxury it makes some sense within the ethos of conspicuous display of the wealthy elites of martial societies geared to warfare to wear them.

Absolutely. The girdle of Cuchulain gets great attention. The deerskin tunic of the chariot driver, not so much.

I think as today leather, even "clothing" was certainly more costly than a textile equivalent, so even leather clothing showed someone either had some degree of wealth, or at least an easy avenue to get leather (a trapper perhaps).

But the thick leather armour worn by Cuchulain goes beyond that, likley a very expensive commodity.

I think part of it to is the "Cattle" economy was different back then. It seems all animals were looked as more as a renewable source of income as opposed to fattening them up for slaughter as much.

Cattle produced milk, and were also a beast of burden. I'm sure they culled the herd a bit for winter to reduce costs of maintenance, but I don't think you saw anything remotely like the cattle drives of the american west, i.e. taking the majority of the herd to slaughter.

So cowhides would not be as common, either those few that were slaughtered before winter, or those that died through the year.

I don't know why the middle ages approach to cattle and animals in general as a renewable resource was like this. More efficient use of resources perhaps? Problems with storing the meat of a large slaughtered animal, i.e. spoilage? Less of a demand for dried/salted beef? Or just tradition?
David Huggins

PostPosted: Thu 06 Oct, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Leather         Reply with quote

Worth consideration is that the body armour was not necessarily the primary armour, this role going to the shields of the period, so the effectiveness of any leather or leather/textile body armour would not necessarily have needed the level of effectiveness that we assume to be a requisite.

Cattle raiding also seems to have been a preoccupation of the early Irish (and other cultures) and would indicate the status afforded to this animal.

best
Dave

Jon Reinhardt Husvegg

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, I think many of you are forgetting the most important point when it comes to the use of leather in the early medieval periods. It is not that waxed leather won't work as armour. Or that it's too expensive.

I have two valid points that I don’t see get used often in these discussions.

First of all; armour and good weapons are something for the elite. Most “normal” people that got drafted to war often had little or bad equipment. That is because most people would use their resources on other things; like tools, clothing etc. And if you think about it, it's reasonable, because you need tools and clothing for your everyday life. But as a levie you would probably not fight more than one battle, or campaign in your lifetime.

And there are several written sources that tells us of lords complaining about lack of equipment on levies. And this might be the reason why we get these written laws about required wartime equipment for both levies and nobles. (kongsspiele, Hirdskråen. These are Norwegian sources)

The second point is something we can see in agricultural economy.
If you look at most farms from the early medieval period, they would produce more household animals than the land can sustain. So what you do (and which is still done today) is to slaughter most of the male population of the herd. And you don’t slaughter many adult animals. Most cows would be slaughtered as calves. Around 7 months or so. This is the time where you get most meat out of them compared to how long you have to feed them.

If you want to make leather armour you need hides from cows. Hives from most other animals would not be thick enough. However, the races of cows common in Europe in the early Mediveal period were a smaller breed with less leather, so to speak, than the animals we have today. And I think theirs was thinner? (Not 100% sure about that). In order to get the best leather, not skin, you need the neck part of an ox. ( This is if you want to make something with a similar thickness as these leather lammelar armours that you can find in the Viking reenactment scene.)

My point here is to show that yes you could get real thick leather but it was rare more than it was expensive, because of the way the animal husbandry would be organised. There would not be many oxes, most of them would be slaughtered as calfs, and the ones you let grow up would be prised as they would be used as breeding or ploughing animals.

And there are a lot of leather products and waste findings on excavations from the early medieval period. And most of it is of shoes. And the thickest leather is most often found in the sole of the shoe.
So it seems that the little amount of thick leather you could get hold of would be used as soles. And after shoeing Europe there would not be much leather left for armour production :P
These day-to-day objects would for most people be much more important than wartime equipment.

And in any case, if you were a noble or a soldier and could afford a leather armour, you could probably just as well afford a mail armour.

I should point out that there are evidence for usage of leather armour in this period, but not in Europe. The nomadic steppe people used it ( the Huns, Avars, Mongols), but this is a different culture that bred larger amounts of animals due to the fact that they were nomads.
We find the use off leather buff coat in 1700- Europe. But then we have different breeds of larger cattle. And larger productions.

JRH
David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Leather         Reply with quote

Jon

Please can you provide evidence for the use of leather armour amongst the Huns and Avar, the only evidence I have seen for the nomadic steppe tribes has been metal lamellar armour not leather prior to the use of lacquer on much later Mongol leather armour. The lacquer tree is of Chinese origin and not as far as I am aware native to the Euro- Asiatic Steppes.

I am not attempting to present a counter-argument just very interested in your comment on leather armour amongst the Huns and Avar.

Just to refer back to your postulation that nobles would have preferred mail to other forms of organic armour the pressblech plate from the Vendel 14 helm shows two warriors in combat, one warrior in what appears to be a possible mail affair and his opponent in a kaftan type of coat, which may or indeed may not have been leather or leather/textile combination but certainly considered worthy of wearing by a member of the warrior class when engaging in combat.

For the martial elites there is much more to costume and armour then just effectiveness, cost and practicality. The conveyance of wealth, status and power where reflected in what they choose to wear, and as members of the social elites of society they had the means and status to produce costly arms armour , jewellery and clothing, leather would not have been a problem if they choose to wear such a material..on their feet or elsewhere!

best
Dave

Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Remember this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustavus_Adolphus_of_Sweden He had enough money, but an injury by all his fighting, so he switched to lighter leather armour that's still exhibited in Sweden. So maybe there are also reasons for leather. How do weight, durability and effectiveness compare to other armours?
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kurt, if true, part of the Wikepedia article may put some light on this subject:

Quote:
Gustavus is reported to have entered battle without wearing any armor, proclaiming, "The Lord God, is my armor!" It is more likely that he simply wore a leather cuirass rather than going into battle wearing no battle protection whatsoever. In 1627, near Dirschau in Prussia, a Polish soldier shot him in the muscles above his shoulders. He survived, but the doctors could not remove the bullet, so from that point on, he could not wear an iron armor. Also, two fingers of his right hand were paralyzed.[4]

Sounds like for some reason his injury prevented him from wearing metal armour?

Quote:
How do weight, durability and effectiveness compare to other armours?

To be thick enough to offer much protection, Leather needs to be at least 8oz, if not heavier. The "Buff" leather coat is in that range. I think thinner than this, and you are looking more at leather clothing.

That's 8-12oz per square foot. 1 mm thick mild steel is about 1.6 pounds per square foot, or 25-26oz.

So "armour weight" leather is about 1/2 the weight of 1mm thick steel.

I think mail runs a little heavier per that per square foot, but of course can vary greatly depending on thickness of the "weave".

So yeah, it's lighter, but not incredibly lighter.

Textile armour is a bit different, the weights are in oz per square yard, not per square foot.

I have seen a reproduction gambeson made of 27 layers of 6oz linen - that weighs about 18oz per square foot.

Dr Williams tests a 16 layer gambeson - no info though as to what weight was used. Even if it was a heavier weight linen, maybe 11 oz per sqaure yard, it would weight in at about 19 oz per square foot.

So perhaps these multi layer linen gambeson weighed a little more than Armour weight leather.

As far as testing goes - Williams tests showed the gambeson providing more resistance to penetration than either a Buff Coat (I would guess 3-5mm, or 8-12 oz weight leather?), or Cuiboilli, but again I have no specs on the thickness of the cuirboilli.

There is another test where various types and thickness of leather is cut and stabbed with various weapons - mail is also tested.

The 4oz leather offers little resistance, even 2 layers offer little resistance. The Cuiboilli is better, but it "cracks" showing a lot of stress fractures after one blow. The Hardened Leather lammelar performs pretty well. But the leather lammelar is peirced by a sword thrust about every time - the worst the mail seems to get is a broken link.

The critics of this test have two points - 1) on the "soft" leather (the 4oz and 2 layers of 4oz), this could have been vegetable tanned to become harder and more dense. This is possible, but doing so would make it much less malleable, so it could not be worn as a "tunic" but would have to be worn more as a girdle like mention for Chulainn, or other spot protection. 2) The Cuiboilli was made by treating with hot water - there are other methods (such as treating with wax) that would make it a bit less brittle and not subject to the stress fractures.

I agree, but both of these treatments would also increase weight some, and wax I tink was also not a cheap commodity in the middle ages, again increasin cost. If indeed it was made this way.

Either way, the Layered cloth gambeson tests out better, metal armour tests out far better. And of course, metal would be far more durable.

Quote:
For the martial elites there is much more to costume and armour then just effectiveness, cost and practicality. The conveyance of wealth, status and power where reflected in what they choose to wear, and as members of the social elites of society they had the means and status to produce costly arms armour , jewellery and clothing, leather would not have been a problem if they choose to wear such a material..on their feet or elsewhere!

I agree, the wealthy could afford leather. But why wear leather when it his all the issues above that prevent it from performing effectively? Why not get metal armour that functions far better, lasts longer, and probably is not much more expensive?

The only reason to do so IMO is if metal is very rare/expensive, and hide is more on the plentiful side. Like in Ireland in before the 11th century.

Quote:
As has been pointed out repeatedly in the various discussions on leather armour, if leather was expensive and any such leather or leather/textile combination armour was considered a luxury it makes some sense within the ethos of conspicuous display of the wealthy elites of martial societies geared to warfare to wear them. Just a thought.

True, but mail would be a conspicous diplay of wealth as well!
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Please can you provide evidence for the use of leather armour amongst the Huns and Avar, the only evidence I have seen for the nomadic steppe tribes has been metal lamellar armour not leather prior to the use of lacquer on much later Mongol leather armour. The lacquer tree is of Chinese origin and not as far as I am aware native to the Euro- Asiatic Steppes.

I believe there was a find of a partial sheet of hardened leather lammelar, found at Dura Europas, believed to be 3rd Century AD, most likely Parhian, and not lacquered.
Jon Reinhardt Husvegg

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Leather         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
Jon

I am not attempting to present a counter-argument just very interested in your comment on leather armour amongst the Huns and Avar.

Just to refer back to your postulation that nobles would have preferred mail to other forms of organic armour the pressblech plate from the Vendel 14 helm shows two warriors in combat, one warrior in what appears to be a possible mail affair and his opponent in a kaftan type of coat, which may or indeed may not have been leather or leather/textile combination but certainly considered worthy of wearing by a member of the warrior class when engaging in combat.

best
Dave

im sorry i can not remeber now where i have this abouth the Huns and Avars form. And you might be rigth that they did not us it. (but i think i have read it some where. I know "think" don't count) My point is that they do animal husbandry in a different way that would give you acaceso a larger amount of thick animal hides. But shure i wiwillry to look it upup

And shure that if you are from the high end of soseity cost is not important.
So there is no finds of armor made just of leather. So its does and i think the reason is to be found in the way animals was breed in Europe.

There is found a loot of leather and skin items in archaeological excavations, mainly shoes, bags, sheaths things like this,but no armor. Shure there is not much finds of memetalrmour either.

I know the Vendel 14 helmet you are rerefereingo and to make a caftan like that in thick leather would almost be the same as the buss coats from the 17tthecentury.

But we know that the agriculture has changed dramastily from the early medeval period to the 17th century.
I think when it comes to this kaftan from the Vendel 14 helmet we are talking about a kind of gambeson whit maybe a skinn layer on topp. Or maybe its not armour at all.

Yes there is a lot of thins that is explained whit sosial status but we dont know that much about this. There is a lot speculation. But this argument found in how agriculture and animal husbandry was done is more solid. Becaus there is more facts gatherd about it. ( there are very maney excavations from farms whit a a big collections of bones from coking pits wast ...... And in general ther is much more bones of veal than cows. At least in norway)

I have read these disustoins about leather armor so many places. But thes are very often isolated from a bigger archaeological context about early medival European society and agriculture in general.
And i think that is where you can find explanation about atleast this.

When it comes to making things of thin leather or skinn shure ther would have bin pleanty both from agriculture and hunting. But not leather thick enok to make armour from.

JRH
David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Leather         Reply with quote

'True, but mail would be a conspicous diplay of wealth as well!'

Simply perhaps choice having that luxury as a warrior of means! Mail would be a display of wealth as well, hence my allusion to the Vendel 14 pressblech warriors, but braggadocio and forms of belief and world view practised by what are quite alien cultures to those of us of th 21st C are not always easy to comprehend.

First Nation American natives wore buck skin shirts in the belief they would not be harmed by bullets, Commando Forces of WWII chose to wear berets instead of metal helms even though society could quite easily provide for more costly and more effective protection.

Jan thank you for your answer, perhaps it is the very rarity of costly leather armour worn by an equally small minority of society that no such finds have come to light in the archaeological record were the far more common shoe exists in such abundance, after all when I look out of my garden window I know for sure I will see more Starlings then Eagles.

best
Dave

Jon Reinhardt Husvegg

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Leather         Reply with quote

David Huggins wrote:
'True, but mail would be a conspicous diplay of wealth as well!'

Simply perhaps choice having that luxury as a warrior of means! Mail would be a display of wealth as well, hence my allusion to the Vendel 14 pressblech warriors, but braggadocio and forms of belief and world view practised by what are quite alien cultures to those of us of th 21st C are not always easy to comprehend.

First Nation American natives wore buck skin shirts in the belief they would not be harmed by bullets, Commando Forces of WWII chose to wear berets instead of metal helms even though society could quite easily provide for more costly and more effective protection.

Jan thank you for your answer, perhaps it is the very rarity of costly leather armour worn by an equally small minority of society that no such finds have come to light in the archaeological record were the far more common shoe exists in such abundance, after all when I look out of my garden window I know for sure I will see more Starlings then Eagles.

best
Dave

All you say is tru but as longe as there are noe evidence for it things like this is just speculations.

" First Nation American natives wore buck skin shirts in the belief they would not be harmed by bullets, Commando Forces of WWII chose to wear berets instead of metal helms even though society could quite easily provide for more costly and more effective protection.¤

Leather armour gives you a level of protetion as do horn and stone (hehe there is a islandic scorse that tells of a guy tha use a stone plate as chest armor:P)
David Huggins

PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Leather         Reply with quote

Indeed Jan. Although having explored the likelihood of 'leather armour' I'm happy to play devil's advocate on this one and I am open minded to the possibility of 'leather armour' if not the probability. Perhaps one day we will see a definitive example, archaeological wonders continue to turn up! BTW welcome to the forum.

best
Dave

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Leather Armour: Viking/Medieval
Page 2 of 12 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: