Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Newbie looking for direction Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William Reynolds

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Newbie looking for direction         Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for a few months now and this is my first post. I have read many of the reviews on the site and I think I've got a general idea of the sword I'm interested in (A&A German Bastard sword). My problem is, I'm not interested in spending $500+ on something that's just going to hang on my wall, I want to play with it (boys and there toys eh?!). So my question is anyone aware of a San Francisco Bay area group that practice historically acurate sword play? I've already checked out the local SCA group, and god-love em they sure are nice folks, but I'm not looking for life size D&D. I'm interested in learning actual techniques, as well as the history behind them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing to do if you like the nicer stuff but want it cheaper if to watch the varios sword and collector forums for people selling things off. I just sold an A&A GBS for $470 shipping included on another forum. One habit of collector you can always seem to count on is upgrading collections.

As to your other questions, don't know since its way way way out of my location. Most likely somebody else will come along able to give some worthwhile advice.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Roger Siggs

PostPosted: Fri 28 May, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the SF area, you've got Schola Saint George, foudned by chivalry Bookshelf's Brain Price (http://www.scholasaintgeorge.org/) They are in Union City...

Also, In San Jose is the Davenriche School of European Swordplay, founded and taught by Stephen Fick. (http://www.knight2day.com/)

Having taken classes and worked with both these men for a number of years I can say that they're pretty damned good at what they do.

If you want to head a little further south to the LA area, Gary Chelak has a Tattershall Branch that practices regualrly at various locations in the city and environs.

He can be reached at through www.tattershall.org

Hope this helps ya some- welcome!

Roger Siggs
Rector, Tattershall School of Defence
www.tattershall.org
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Newbie looking for direction
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic