MRL Military Sword Rapier sale
So I just saw that this was on the MRL deal of the day page:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-256-military-sword-rapier.aspx

[ Linked Image ]

While I myself am not crazy about the design, that seems like quite a bargain at $117.50, so I thought I'd pass the word along.
here's a little review for it over on SBG
http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...amp;page=1
Between the price of $117 and the good SBG review by Rick, I'm sold. I will placing my order today. I just need to find out if both sides of the blade are suitable for sharpening.
Unfortunately, that review doesn't say much... but the photos are much better than the ones published on Museum Replicas. At that price, it seems like it would be a good project sword.

I'm really bothered by the weird shaping and whatnot on the elements of the hilt... it's not attractive to me and doesn't look like anything from history. But I'd think that with a grinder, some sandpaper, and a lot of patience, it can be re-shaped into something pretty cool!

I like how the narrow fuller extends so far down the blade... the reviewer's note that there's no distal taper is alarming.
If nothing else, good for starting a project.
I have looked at this one for quite some time. Unfortunately, I had spent my money on some nice clothes instead, which is not really unfortunate, but a sword that I want ALWAYS comes up when I have no money. It seems that when I have the money, there's nothing new on the market that I want, but there's always something new when I spent it all. I really do ant this sword, but alas, I have other commitments, and I think they get in the way!
Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
Between the price of $117 and the good SBG review by Rick, I'm sold. I will placing my order today. I just need to find out if both sides of the blade are suitable for sharpening.

There was a price for sharpening of $135 USD. Seems like an awfully good deal!
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'm really bothered by the weird shaping and whatnot on the elements of the hilt... it's not attractive to me and doesn't look like anything from history.

That's exactly my problem with it, and why I'm not interested in it myself. But the price was so low, I figured I'd pass the word along in case there were people who liked it more than me. :)
I recently purchased this item from the MRL website. It was only available sharpened which leads me to suspect it is a return. It suits my purpose but the blade is distressingly floppy and the sharpening job is uglier than the hilt.

I intend to use it as a costume piece for presentations on Lepanto and such. I have since acquired a Serenissima so now I can talk about comparing munition weapons and quality swords. The Serenissima fits in the MRL scabbard which is a plus for now as I have no funds for an alternative.

These sorts of bargains are also useful to me in that I have a tendency to give away stuff, especially less than top-shelf stuff. I am a teacher and I sometimes hold essay competitions with swords and such for prizes. Needless to say pieces that I might consider disposable can make a high school student pee his pants.

JSA

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: