Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Experiences with Barta swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Experiences with Barta swords         Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I, like many others Happy , are on Patrick Barta's waiting list of commissions. I have around one and a half years to go. . . . I am commissioning a type XI shown in Records, and a few other places.

In any case I am very excited and, due to the cost, have been putting off major A&A purchases for a while now.

I am interested in hearing about forumite's thoughts regarding the Barta pieces they have handled. I, for one, have not handled one, and will not likely until I receive my own . .

Thanks!

Jeremy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had the pleasure of handling two Barta swords, one owned by Nathan Bell and my own shown below. Both are of excellent quality and the transaction was painless and pleasant. Patrick Barta is one of the best smiths working today.

M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oof, that's mythic! Must have run a fortune too Eek!

Pardon me while I go endeavor to strike oil.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kimon Andreou

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok... that may arguably be the most beautiful sword I've ever seen in my life!

As previously mentioned, this must've cost a small fortune.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have never noticed before but is that blade slightly waisted Patrick? As for the OP these photos should leave you in no doubt that you are going to get something special.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,

Yes, the blade is slightly waisted. Here's a photo of one of the originals upon which it was based. It's the second one down. Patrick was able to do hands-on examination of several blades with this profile and it is clearly the original shape rather than the result of repeated sharpening.

My original order was for a viking pattern sword but Patrick very much wanted to do another celtic piece and he doesn't get many orders for them. He'd been doing some hands-on research of celtic La Tene era swords and was eager to put some of his new found knowledge to use. The cost was quite a bit less for me and that was an issue at that point in time so I agreed. The sword is actually a combination of different elements: the blade is continental, the scabbard decoration is irish, etc. while the bronze chape and guard plate are rare Patrick did examine one or two with these features. When I recieved the sword I posted photos on a few forums and some of the celtic era purists were quite offended by this combination of elements. However, I prefer to give a maker his freedom and I let Patrick do as he wished with the sword. I haven't been disappointed.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kimon Andreou wrote:
Ok... that may arguably be the most beautiful sword I've ever seen in my life!

As previously mentioned, this must've cost a small fortune.

For this level of quality Patricks prices have always been very reasonable.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
As for the OP these photos should leave you in no doubt that you are going to get something special.

Perhaps I should have been more clear: I have no doubts of Patrick's skill and I expect to receive something very special. His craftsmanship and artistry are evident in photos.

I am more curious of the issue of the handling of different pieces. You see this is what I lack.

I am especially interested in how Patrick will represent a type XI example.

In any case I always enjoy reading and seeing more pics of Barta swords. Happy

Thanks
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Type XX from Patrick was surprising in it's delicacy and precision, I thought. If I were going to guess about what a Barta XI would handle like, I would say it might feel lighter than it looked, and move extremely well. Very clean lines, great attention to detail, and an overall grace characterize my Type XX, and the other pictures I have seen. That is what I would guess - but they are very different swords.
Gordon

Attachment: 83.45 KB
HiltAndBlade2.JPG

Attachment: 144.97 KB
[ Download ]
David Wilson

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I got my Barta Viking sword second hand. It is absolutely gorgeous. Pat Barta is a master of pattern-welding.
At a bit over 4 lbs, it's much heavier than I prefer, but it handles and tracks quite well, despite the weight (note: Some Viking swords did reach the 4 lb mark, there are a couple of them in Pierce's book. The original sword that mine is based on, although no longer complete due to the passage of time, may have been "massive" in size, according to Ian Pierce. Therefore I don't think this sword is too far off from the original).

And I like the furry scabbard. Laughing Out Loud

Would I get another Barta sword? You bet! There are several different sword on his website that I'd go for in a heartbeat. If only I could win the lottery....

Attachment: 13.29 KB
PBViking4.jpg

Attachment: 10.74 KB
PBViking1.jpg

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, Gordon, and David,

Thanks so much for sharing! Your swords are splendid!

I am especially struck by the beautiful fullering on Gordon/s XX example, and the pattern welding on Patrick and David's pieces.

It has been stated before but I will echo my amazement of Patrick's scope of artistry and commitment to the more historical materials and methods used in making these fine pieces.

In any case, thanks so much for your attention to my post. I know that few forumites own of have handled Barta pieces but I appreciate the feedback you guys can given.

Truly, obtaining a Patrick Barta piece is really a significant addition to a person's collection and I am holding off on my normal collecting habits to make this happen.

Jeremy
Gordon Clark

PostPosted: Tue 28 Apr, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy - for you, a close up of the fullers. Even this shot does not completely show how deep and defined they are.

Attachment: 98.4 KB
FullerCloseUp2.JPG

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Experiences with Barta swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic