Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > British Naval Boarding Weapons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: British Naval Boarding Weapons         Reply with quote

Hi,

I've recently developed an interest in British naval boarding weapon (cutlasses, axes, pikes and firearms). If any of you could point me to some good books, articles or other sources on the subject, I'd be much obliged.

Alternatively, if you have something interesting to say about naval boarding weapons, please do so.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recommend George C. Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution. It has photos and dimensions of plenty of naval cutlasses and spadroons,and even a couple of boarding pikes.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My friends who collect naval weapons all recommend Boarders Away, Volume One: With Steel and Boarders Away, Volume Two: Firearms of the Age of Fighting Sail.

Jonathan
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@Roger

Thanks, that is definitely on my "to get" list.

@Jonathan

Thank you, those seem to fit the bill perfectly. I'll definitely check out the Steel book.

I also discovered: Naval Swords and Dirks: A Study of British, French and American Naval Swords, Cutlasses and Dirks During the Age of Fighting Sail at: http://www.amazon.com/Naval-Swords-Dirks-Amer...amp;sr=8-1

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From Sim Comfort's website, regarding the above referenced book:

Quote:
Naval Swords and Dirks reflects the weapons that a naval officer and his men would have used to gain their fame and is written as a companion to both Boarders Away and Swords for Sea Service. The object is to provide a number of colour images for each of 174 British, 21 French and 33 American hangers, cutlasses, officers’ swords and dirks. Included are fine images of hilts, but also all makers’ scabbard cartouches and details of blade design and marks, (1,750 plus colour images). In addition, the text provides a lively commentary by a collector written for fellow collectors and curators which includes a detailed description of each piece and biographical information to the many provenanced swords. A Glossary and comprehensive Index are also provided.

Here is Sim's site:

http://www.simcomfort.demon.co.uk/

Jonathan

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > British Naval Boarding Weapons
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic