Custom Blade Makers
This may be better suited to "off topic" but I'll let the fearless moderators decide if this needs to be moved.

I was thinking of comissioning a mid-high level custom smallsword project. The maker(s) I was originally trying to contact (no names to protect the innocent as I'm sure he/she/they're just busy) have not responded over the past month so I've decided to start shopping around again in the event they don't respond at all (and if they do, the information obtained likely won't go to waste for the future and may help someone else as well!)

While looks are always important, like many of the people on this board I'm primarily concerned with solid construction and good handling (ie: total weight, balance, etc) so ideally if someone has any experience with those involved in creating custom blades that would be most helpful to hear about. There are quite a few creators out there but my experience is limited.

Thanks in advance.
My advice would be to contact Kevin Cashen:

cashenblades.com
You should try Tinker Pearce:

www.tinkerswords.com
For smallswords in particular I'd recommend Old Dominion Forge, as they specialize in 18th century items, though I'm not certain if they're taking orders right now or not.

I'd also highly recommend Arms and Armor. I have a custom smallsword from them that I think is leaps and bounds better than almost any other moder made smallsword I've ever seen in terms of both function and aesthetics/historical accuracy. They definately understand how a smallsword is supposed to handle and look.

One of my big complaints about modern made smallswords is that they're typically too bulky in the fittings. If its important to you that it captures the same look as antiques, make sure the maker you go with has really studied originals.
I think Bill Grandy's suggestions are spot-on. For the needs that you expressed, I'd also throw in Darkwood Armory as they may be willing to work with you. The top of my own list for such an given, and given the needs you expressed, would far and away be Arms & Armor.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: