Valsgarde sword scabbards
In the rich boat-graves of the Valsgarde/Vendell numerous swords were recovered, of those, Valsgarde 8 grave is of particcular interest to me because it containes the famous/infamous "stave armour" parts that have been interpreted in numerous ways over the time. Anyways, I wanted to ask if anyone have done any research in the details of construction of the scabbard remains that were discovered within the grave or perharps made a reconstruction of one? It is clear from the descriptions that it had a wodden core and leather facing, also from the pictures it appears that the part near the hilt of the blade was covered with bronze/latten deccorative plate.

Attachment: 50.26 KB
valsgarde_8_sword.jpg

Hi Artis. :)
Here is one bigger photo. Unfortunately I don't know anything more than you wrote already, because I don't speak German. :(
I would like to make this sword (or generally one of Vendel/Valsgarde swords)one day one day for myself, but now I am too busy with others projects.

Hope this will help a bit.
Regards,
Greg.

Attachment: 57.75 KB
V8 sword 1.JPG

Thank you for the photo - it does show decoration on the scabbard quite clearly, but, sadly does not provide other answers. I do not own the exact replica of the sword in question but rather a blade that is made in style quite similar to this one, albeit without the ring. And as part of updating my combat gear to be more precise representation of the Valsgarde 8 grave finds, so I am working in the scabbard along the way of working in the helmet itself - which is a rather interesting project by itself.

On a side note - you are somewhat "responsible" for my decision to make the new helmet, as when we met in Uppsala last year you said that those richly decorated helmets might be more resistant to combat damage than everyone has been thinking so I decided to give this theory a shot :)
Artis Aboltins wrote:
On a side note - you are somewhat "responsible" for my decision to make the new helmet, as when we met in Uppsala last year you said that those richly decorated helmets might be more resistant to combat damage than everyone has been thinking so I decided to give this theory a shot :)

Say huh?!? Grzegorz suggested that? Are you referring to the same person who verbally attacked me in an earlier thread on that subject for daring to hold the belief that the Vendel style helms *might* have been usable in combat? The same one that insisted that these helms were only used for marching around in endless parades or were built exclusively for funerary purposes??? Either there has been a serious mis-communication or a literal 180 degree turnaround has occurred...

Regardless, back on subject, here is a rough translation of the description of the Valsgarde 8 scabbard from Arwidsson's book:

"Immediately by the hilt some fragments of the sword scabbard were preserved. The scabbard consisted of 5/64" thick wood strips that were covered on the exterior with thin leather. Perhaps the interior had a similar lining, presumably of a hairy pelt; namely, several small, hard to interpret fragments indicate a hide with furry structure on the interior. Below the mouth the scabbard was wrapped with a very fine, double bound cloth, and thereon sat an artificial band woven out of bark strips. The original width of the cloth and of the bark band cannot be determined with certainty, yet probably they had not entirely covered the preserved part of the scabbard. The bark band be permitted sooner than anywhere else dem bei den scabbard of the Vendel Period usual mouth fitting have accord with and be likely approximately just as wide as these gewesen sein. Yet this embellishment of the scabbard could not have been original, on the contrary the cloth and bark band must have originated from a later repair. On one side of the scabbard they cover a carved wood animal motif, plate 20, that without doubt in the beginning must have been completely visible. The fine leather covering of the wood strips must have been pressed in such manner over this carved decoration, that the pattern stood out on the leather. Es handelt sich also um a style of leather carving, fur die es mehrere, gave better preserved examples from other sword scabbards from Valsgärde (see Valsgärde 6 and 7).

Any traces of metal fittings were not observable on the scabbard, not even a fixture for the sword suspension strap."

Apologies for the rough spots, but I hope that helps in some fashion.
C. Gadda wrote:
Say huh?!? Grzegorz suggested that? Are you referring to the same person who verbally attacked me in an earlier thread on that subject for daring to hold the belief that the Vendel style helms *might* have been usable in combat? The same one that insisted that these helms were only used for marching around in endless parades or were built exclusively for funerary purposes??? Either there has been a serious mis-communication or a literal 180 degree turnaround has occurred...

C. Gadda,
This kind of commentary is unnecessary and doesn't advance the thread in any meaningful way.
Thank you for the translation, it has been most helpful. As I understand, no information could be gathered about the way swordbelt/baldric might have been attached?

As for your earlier communication/misscommunication with Grzegorz - I can not comment on that as I have not been part of such discussion. His suggestion, however, was that the decorative plates of the helmets might have been sturdier than previously thought, based on his experience of creating a replica of this type of helmet, and might not have fallen off on the first strike in combat.
Well, here it is - my attempt at the Valsgarde 8 scabbard. Wodden core used as base, I carved design similar to the original on it's surface, then glued thin leather over it all. Designs on the part used for attachemnt of suspension system is based on the similar part from Valsgarde 7 sword 1 scabbard, although on that one it is made of metal.

Attachment: 67.51 KB
Valsgarde_7_sword_1_attachment.jpg
Original suspension system attachment part from Valsgarde 7 sword 1 scabbard.

Attachment: 89.92 KB
Valsgarde_scabbard_1.jpg
Scabbard and blade.
Here are few more images from the process of making it and some closeups on parts of scabbard.

Attachment: 86.27 KB
Valsgarde_scabbard_2.jpg
Closeup

Attachment: 85.45 KB
Valsgarde_scabbard_4.jpg

Attachment: 88.4 KB
zobena_maksts_3.jpg
Closeup on a scabbard tip

Last edited by Artis Aboltins on Thu 30 Apr, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
And final bit - carved design covered by leather (in the process of making the thing)

Attachment: 63.59 KB
zobena_maksts_dekors.jpg

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: