Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Warder to Valiant Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, I was thinking the same thing as you, Mr. Hudon. The first time I saw the sword, I immediately thought of the single edged long sabre from the Wheel of Time series, and the name would make sense. I desperately hope I can afford this piece, as I am drooling whenever I see it.
Nathan.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: jordan?         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
John,
I was wondering if the choice of the name ''Warder'' for your quite unique saber had anything to do with the descriptions of the ''Warders'' ' weapons in the Robert Jordan novels? It is a visually a very interesting piece of work.. JC
Yes I read the first two books and liked the description and that Lan Warder guy who had that type sword without a Heron mark. I hated the books though so could not see trying to go on with the series. A friend of mine did read them all and i had asked him if anything happens in any of the books he said no and would throw them across the romm at times:) The inspiration for the size and shape etc is from many years of sword study.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: warder fatigue         Reply with quote

John,
I read the first two books with enthusiasm, thinking that the author was building up to something, then the third and fourth kept repeating the same story lines, but in different settings, so I gave up after doing the fifth , just to make sure that I wasn't missing out on anything new, I wasn't, so I gave the whole lot away ( hardcovers, not papaerbacks), and wished the new reader good luck... but the warder image was a strong one, and your interpretation seems to me to be right on. Nice work.

Bon coeur et bon bras
M. Eversberg II

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I tried reading it, but I stopped at page 57; it has to be one of the most boring books I've read in a long time. Asked a mate what goes on with the FIVE MILLION characters, and it's almost like we're stuck in uncanny valley -- everyone is a "someone", it seemed.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Apr, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: jordan?         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
John,
I was wondering if the choice of the name ''Warder'' for your quite unique saber had anything to do with the descriptions of the ''Warders'' ' weapons in the Robert Jordan novels? It is a visually a very interesting piece of work.. JC
Originally I did get inspired by the description of the Warder, Lan and his sword, though I didn't care for the books. Alot of other influences as I've mentioned, but yeah. To me it looks like a historical sword but I know it is a total fantasy piece with an european look. I have made a ton of Oakshott euro's and could have submitted an historical reproduction type, but they are every where and Valian is doing so many straight swords already. Someone might say then why didn't you? I dunno:)
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: warder season         Reply with quote

To everything, there is a season...
John,
I am sure that many share the impatience you & I & Mr Eversberg felt when reading, or trying to read, the Wheel of Time series, but that doesn't take anything away from the attraction of the description of the Warder's weapon, which evoked a crossover between western and japanese styles of sabers. It seems to me that the author made a deliberate attempt to mix cultural stereotypes throughout his book, not only with weapons but also with mythologies and esoteric belief systems, and that is why he kept my attention for so long. He eventually lost me when he became repetitive and failed to focus on a central story line which merited my continued attention...but the idea for this particular weapon will certainly strike a chord with fans of the series, as you have well captured the spirit of the weapon the Warder would carry. and it is a visually pleasing piece to behold, though I am quite sure that those of us who only wish to see historically documented weapons produced will not sign up as clients. So be it, there has to be room for innovation and creativity and your offering certainly is both creative and new.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Nathan M Wuorio

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I actually love the series, though I can see your points. I'm currently reading it all over again, and I'm on book five. I personally can't wait until fall for that sword to go into production. I need it now!
Nathan.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: jordan?         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
John,
Yes it did, though the books were disappointing. Really the only thing I liked about the story was the Warder, Lan. I liked the idea of the long saber described and stole it. Hope you don't mind. I made a version once or twice with a Heron Mark etched into it, but Lan's sword didn't have a heron mark.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: warder saber         Reply with quote

John,
I certainly don't mind, and from the expressions of enthusiasm by some other forumites it seems clear that the Wheel of Time has a number of followers and fans. I agree with you that the warder concept, Lan's full time job, was intriguing and kept my curiosity going with the series for quite a wheel, oops, while... but as I mentionned before the repetitions and multiplication of characters just got to be too much. The aesthetics are nevertheless quite interesting, in a fusion east meets west way.. which begs the question, why didn't the Japanese ever adopt quillons for their sabers whereas the West went for one handed knucle guard types? Another thread???

Bon coeur et bon bras
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 14 May, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: jordan?         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
John,
Yes it did, due to the character in the story called Lan the Warder and the description of his sword. Most of the rest of the story to me was pretty lax. I also like the Del Sid sword from Toledo and many european saber designs and just stuck alot of everything into one sword. Plus I like the size weight and curve for many sword styles. Being so used to a bastard sized broadsword, a saber of the same size is just a joy to weild. Kinda thing that just takes alot of what you know and gives it a little shove in a new direction. Not as severe as like a sword man to a pole arm man Happy
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 24 May, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: jordan?         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
John,
I called it a Warder cause I liked the name and description of the blade that Lan used in those books. Didn't get passed the second book, pretty dull. The sword here is not as close to the description as previous Warders I've made but decided long ago that I would call all my Odin euro sabers Warders, and all my fully mounted Japanese styled blades Ronin's and I used that name for over 15 years. Have the Slice, Peacemaker and a few other names I've used many times. But believe me anything with a elvish kind of name in my site is solely named by the customer. Can't think in elvish:)
Sonny Suttles
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 31 May, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some low quality pics of the Prototype Warder

Sonny

www.valiant-armoury.com
www.customswordshoppe.com
Nathan M Wuorio

PostPosted: Sun 31 May, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh my gosh, that's going to be amazing! I can't wait until it's released! Do you have any idea what the price might be at?
Nathan.
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sun 31 May, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's one hell of a cool design !

If I may say, I like the sword itself and the scabbard very much, but I kinda wish that the suspension system was different. Anyhow, this is just a minor detail. Great work on this one! I think my favorite part of it is the pierced pommel and guard. It makes the whole sword look lighter and faster.... like you can imagine the hissing sound of the air going through the pommel... Cool

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Warder to Valiant
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: