Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Warder to Valiant Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 21 Apr, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: New Warder to Valiant         Reply with quote

Sent the new prototype bastard euro saber to Valiant today. They should get it friday and said they would post up some pictures for a look see. Hope you guys like the style, even though it's not a straight broadsword. But I feel that a long saber is a must for cutters that already use the euro straights and an occasional katana. It's 44" total and 2 1/2 lbs with a 4 1/2" balance. I used to use this style for blunt work and it is my favorite, kinda taking a gamble though. I have a couple ideas for the next one if there is to be one:)
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi John,

Any chances you can post some pictures of the prototype ?

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
Hi John,

Any chances you can post some pictures of the prototype ?
Hi Hugo, no I don't know how to post pics, but Valiant will post friday or saterday, so stay tuned bro!
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll keep my eyes open for this. Wink

Since it will be a Valiant product, do you plan on making a scabbard prototype too ?

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 24 Apr, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugo Voisine wrote:
I'll keep my eyes open for this. Wink

Since it will be a Valiant product, do you plan on making a scabbard prototype too ?
Yes I did make one and a chape but Valiant wants to do the leather work on it . That's fine with me:)
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a photo:

http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...amp;page=1

It's quite nice, it's the most interesting design I have seen in recent memory. Definately going on my short list... Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting to say the least. What was this inspired by?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Karl Knisley

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(5 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello John
Does Valiant, have any idea, what the time frame, might be, before release? I want one now:-)

Thanks
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice piece. As a follower of saber-style blades, I WOULD like to see MORE curve in the blade.
Mind you -- as I've written before and elsewhere and elsewhen and in other times and in other
life-forms -- historically speaking the curve of a saber can be very very shallow, almost straight,
to quite quite quite quite quite redundantly pronounced. Personally I think the curve is very very
challenging to smiths and makers everywhere and in every known dimension. B-)
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Very interesting to say the least. What was this inspired by?

M.
I guess it was inspired by the Toledo Del Cid sword hilt and the blade itself was inspired by 25 years of full contact blunt sparring and that it happens to be my favorite style od blade.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello John
Does Valiant, have any idea, what the time frame, might be, before release? I want one now:-)

Thanks
I heard something about Fall time this year or by the end of the year.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way the specs on this prototype are 44" total length and 2 1/2 lbs with a 4 1/2" balance from guard. This is a good length for me but an even longer blade with a 46" total would be good as well and everyone is different.
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Nice piece. As a follower of saber-style blades, I WOULD like to see MORE curve in the blade.
Mind you -- as I've written before and elsewhere and elsewhen and in other times and in other
life-forms -- historically speaking the curve of a saber can be very very shallow, almost straight,
to quite quite quite quite quite redundantly pronounced. Personally I think the curve is very very
The curve is challenging yes but I could have really made it totally pronouned without a problem, just have to please alot of people when it comes to production. In your case custom would be the answer. The point though is to make it weildable. The fact that the hilt followes the exact curve helps there. With a huge amount of curve sometimes it is important to recurve the hilt alittle as with many sabers styles.
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking piece. Looks like it would have a nice bite to it. I am wondering, do you expect the hilt to be changed for production?
'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking at the sword upside down like this picture is of the sword it does look alot straighter than it is. if you look straight on rightside up which i hope to get pics of, the sword blade will show alot more curve.
Antal László

Reading list: 1 book

Feedback score: 100%
(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a question, quite off topic, so I am sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, but it isn't worth to start a new topic, because it is only one particular question. I have heard somewhere, that the curve in the katana blades is created only by the deformation, what occurs at the heat treating. Is this true?
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Antal László wrote:

I have a question, quite off topic, so I am sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, but it isn't worth to start a new topic, because it is only one particular question. I have heard somewhere, that the curve in the katana blades is created only by the deformation, what occurs at the heat treating. Is this true?
Yes it is true if you water quench the blade with the clay coat, which is the traditional way for Japanese swords. This is how I do my Katana blades. Alot of folks like to forge the curve into thier katana and then oil quench. Two different animals with the same look.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

PostPosted: Sat 25 Apr, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since my growing fascination with the saber I find it interesting to discuss the curved blade,
Japanese Style Sword or otherwise. In my own mind there is a relationship, and in the past
I've asked willing craftsmen IF they have command and influence over how curved they make
a certain blade. I can't say there was a difinitive answer; it seemed chance was still involved.

With regards to The Warder Prototype, I'm curious if you have measurements of the
spine's thickness ? with the understanding that the sword produced for Valiant will likely
differ ...
John Lundemo
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since my growing fascination with the saber I find it interesting to discuss the curved blade,
Japanese Style Sword or otherwise. In my own mind there is a relationship, and in the past
I've asked willing craftsmen IF they have command and influence over how curved they make
a certain blade. I can't say there was a difinitive answer; it seemed chance was still involved.

With regards to The Warder Prototype, I'm curious if you have measurements of the
spine's thickness ? with the understanding that the sword produced for Valiant will likely
differ ...
When you forge the blade and curve it while hot and then normalize. It is a sure bet that the blade will end up in close to the same curve you set when heated up again proper and marquenched, if careful. The Valiant comapany will have fun with this one and I'm sure they will get it down pat..
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: jordan?         Reply with quote

John,
I was wondering if the choice of the name ''Warder'' for your quite unique saber had anything to do with the descriptions of the ''Warders'' ' weapons in the Robert Jordan novels? It is a visually a very interesting piece of work.. JC

Bon coeur et bon bras

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > New Warder to Valiant
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: