Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "functional" boar spears? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

One could add a wooden crosspiece tied between the head and the lugs for added protection from the hog running up the shaft ?

No it would be attached behind the head of the spear, tied to the shaft. But on something like the CS spear the shaft could be too short for it to work.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Minturn wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

One could add a wooden crosspiece tied between the head and the lugs for added protection from the hog running up the shaft ?

No it would be attached behind the head of the spear, tied to the shaft. But on something like the CS spear the shaft could be too short for it to work.

Yes I'm not an expert about using a boar spear and I guess what one wants is to keep the very angry and still dangerous boar from getting close but not keep the head from penetrating deeply enough to be as lethal as possible ? ( Just guessing here from your comments ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Mercier wrote:
From what I've heard here, the boars on the base here are quite small and although I know looks can be deceiving, they are not as much of a threat as some out there. I will not have any dogs. We're just two guys in the same unit that want to fulfill a dream while preparing for a deployment in a few months.
The person that wants to go with me has native american ancestry, which I would assume he would want to go out with a bow, but he wants to hand knap a spear point and go that way.
I'm not wanting to go a cheap route on a weapon which although offensive, can immediately turn into a defensive weapon. No fantasy 440 steel anime super ninja spear for me. My first choice is the arms and armor one. Not only because of their reputation, but because in the end, I collect weapons and I want it to be something "authentic" and functional I can hang on the wall. The only problem with that is that I am on a strict allowance from my wife in order for us to save money while I'm gone.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure how difficult it will be to hunt boar with a spear/knife without an aid (dogs/beaters). The purpose of the dogs is to locate and distract the boar, allowing you to get close enough to make the kill. If you had beaters and/or nets the beaters would channel the boar towards your party's position.

Going in, hunting for him and trying to engage with a melee weapon may be difficult depending on whether the boar chooses to flee or fight. If he flees, you probably won't catch him on foot. If he fights, that could be dangerous (though you say these are small). I've seen a leg gored by a boar, it isn't pretty. Anyway, as others have suggested, bring a back up firearm.

@ Bennison

Yeah, I've seen guys who are proficient use knives and it looks just as practical as using a spear. Approach from behind, again with the dogs distracting, hold and stab. Its just a level of contact I would have to become more used to before I could feel up to it.

@general

Here's another pic I found:

A good variety of lengths and spear heads but I don;t see any with lugs/wings.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart
R. Scott Malone

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 20 Apr, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My ju-jitsu friend Fred Arnold who works in corrections in Florida helped cold steel design that spear.
He suggested the wings after a boar came up the spear at him.
I saw a picture of him in the catalog and said, "Fred did you kill a 600lb boar with a spear?!"
He looked down and said, "well not exactly." I asked him what not exactly meant and he said,
"They wanted the picture with a 6 foot spear, but I cut off 3 feet of it to be closer to the action".
He's nuts, but I guess if you work in corrections you need to raise your level to get the same adreneline rush.
We trained with Fred Crivello in Clearwater, you can find him under leverage pinning or Ju-jitsu 101 on Youtube.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Munich there's the German hunting museum with a selection of boar and bear spears (no differentiation). They were in between an estimated 1.80m and 2.70m or 6 feet to 9 feet. Length may depend on skill and technique. you can try to stop a pig running towards you, or you can try to stab a pig that has been immobilzed by dogs.
The images of modern use of boar spears for pig hunting show immobilized animals surrounded by dogs with hunters thrusting into them until achieving the death of the animal that takes quite a long time. The length of the spear is a test of courage of how close you want to go, but at the same time might reflect limited training of these men to handle longer weapons. The stabbing seems to be about poking holes until the beast is dead.
It has some resemblance to what the old Romans did in their colloseum:
http://www.roman-colosseum.info/colosseum/wil...osseum.htm

This looks like the animal is accustomed to human presence and thus very surprised.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3cy5w9Ef7o
And thus is one of those tests of courage that at least worked with one thrust:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J47U9-hjVcI
And this example is animal cruelty for fun with a clueless "hunter" testing his courage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJwkGx2XZSU

A 3 feet boar spear is in principle the same idea as a boar sword, a German weapon for increasing the entertainment value of hunting and keeping up class differentiation.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauschwert

Last edited by Kurt Scholz on Tue 10 Jul, 2012 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephane Rabier

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
sorry to say but in the videos, I can only see clowns badly slaughtering farm pigs who thing the farmer brings the food when they see a hunter, they should come to an European forest and meet with some REAL WILD boars (not those grown for the tourists), those that don't just look at you or run away when you approach but charge and try to change you into "human pâté" Laughing Out Loud
Perry L. Goss

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Harley's Hawg Hunts         Reply with quote

NC eh? A bit west of you over in the English mountain area of TN there is Harley's Hawg Hunts. Not sure of the exact spelling of his name. Has a web page. Might email him. But some of the Don Fogg guys out in E. TN hunt with custom bowie knives out of his base camp. You could also post over there too and get some tips.

I have not done it, but...they claim there is a certain critical mass involved in the blade. Size, does matter there. Dogs and...maybe a back up .357, .44, .45 or a nice smooth bore .62 or .66 pistol? The blackpowder has a fairly large and heavy soft lead ball traveling at abt. 1300 fps. Not modern specs, but for knock down/shock - tis hard to beat. And the wound will not close up, plus bone and organ damage. Trouble is...you got one round Eek!

One does not want these little rascals coming back at you, up close and personal.

Reminds me of a buddy in college from Sudan back in the mid 70's that in order to date the maiden of your choice one had to either kill an alligator or lion with a spear. Makes John Travolta and Grease look passe. Wow, all we have to do is to register to vote and take a driver's test!

Keep us posted on your hunt. I agree with Stephane. Managed kills- I guess, are better than nothing.

Scottish: Ballentine, Black, Cameron, Chisholm, Cunningham, Crawford, Grant, Jaffray, MacFarlane, MacGillivray, MacKay-Reay/Strathnaver, Munro, Robertson, Sinclair, Wallace

Irish/Welsh: Bodkin, Mendenhall, Hackworth

Swiss: Goss von Rothenfluh, Naff von Zurich und Solland von Appenzel
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephane Rabier wrote:
Hi,
sorry to say but in the videos, I can only see clowns badly slaughtering farm pigs who thing the farmer brings the food when they see a hunter, they should come to an European forest and meet with some REAL WILD boars (not those grown for the tourists), those that don't just look at you or run away when you approach but charge and try to change you into "human pâté" Laughing Out Loud

He is right, the reactions of these lone and young animals are very tame. They have no idea of how to handle the situation. Normally, wild hogs are much more aggressive and either in groups or redoubtable single boars of age, size, cleverness and aggression if cornered.

Berlin, the German capital, does have a hog problem and you can't solve that with a sharp stick for everyone at night. The hunters do have a problem with our animal-loving citizens and with wounded wild hogs going on attack mode. In attack mode they do intentionally kill their attacker with all their might and cleverness before they die themselves. This reaction is beneficial for the survival of the species because it makes the risk of going hog hunting very high for every predator. Predators, other than humans, only go after the young and after the very old or very(!!!!) sick. These attacks are the reason why boar spears are still part of the huntsman's arsenal for defence against boars going kamikaze. Many car accidents with hogs can cause such a reaction because the animal gets wounded, making it very important to kill these. If you want to go hunting dangerous hogs, help the Berlin hunters to dispose of hogs injured in traffic accidents and never mind, that job got dogs dead and people seriously injured by these cute animals.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122937877627908421.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13251805
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm currently working on a 16thC boar spear and a boar sword, but have still to find a suitable donor head for the spear (I've made the toggle/bar assembly). I was thinking about modifying the Windlass Euro Spear Head as it appears solid enough (I need them to work, rather than be diplay wallhangers, although I doubt I will ever get the opportunity to use them). My late grandfather used to hunt boar in his native Auvergne region of France, and I guess these are my 'tribute' to his memory.

Anyway, thanks guys for resurrecting this topic: it has given me some new ideas. Also, I found this whilst following some of the above links, which shows what I am striving for:

Attachment: 165.96 KB
Neuw Jag vnnd Weyderwerck Buch, Frankfurt 1582.jpg

Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Painted pictures are interpretations. The above image highlights nobles enjoying killing boar while relatively safe on a horse but close to the bloodshed with short weapons and with the danger to the dogs and the horse. If you lose expensive hunting dogs that way hunting is unsustainable as a way of life and rather reflects the dramatic pastimes of courts.

This image from Le Livre de chasse. ca. 1440, by Gaston Phoebus, Count of Foix, On Catching the Wild Boar in His Wallow, highlights the immense danger of male boars, tuskers, who often roam the lands in all-male groups. It's an over dramatization, but it shows different aspects of boar hunting. The hunters have poor equipment turned into makeshift lugged spears and are more likely to do this for economic reasons (protecting their harvest, getting some meat diet). The dogs are not expendable and don't attack boars head on. The dogs are rather used for confusing and slowing down the boars in order for the hunter to make the boar run frontally into his spear.
The tactic of the depicted tuskers is to use the massive energy of their charge for thrusting their tusks into their enemies flesh and tearing open an opponents blood vessels on the pass. Tuskers attack humans on the upper leg arteries.
Before impact, the spear is often held in an almost sitting position, in order to better defend the legs with the staff. The spear is then moved up in order to strike into the ribcage below the head of the tusker running towards the hunter at full speed. Technically, it's similar to receiving a cavalry charge.
After receiving the charge, the spear point is moved in the animal in order to create maximum damage and cut important blood vessels, especially the aorta from the heart. The men capable of facing boars this way have enough sang froid and skill with the spear to also face charging men-at-arms.
http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/student_orgs/arth...iblio.html

The same technique on a Roman mosaic. Remember that Tarent in the Second Punic War fell because of a hunter who had claimed a special prey, a wild boar for the Roman garrison commander. That did convince the guards to let him and the disguised assault party in at night, against normal safety precautions. Wild boar was not the most frequent hunted animal for food.

The male tuskers do attack when they feel irritated and cornered for whatever reason. That's more frequent a reason to attack then for female hogs who rather try to escape in such situations. The female hogs rather defend their offspring only, but this at the drop of a hat. The females don't have these tusks and rather bite until they are satisfied with the result = perceived danger to their offspring is DEAD. Female hogs don't charge normally and have to be pursued and cornered with stabbing them from other directions than the front. They are not as dangerous as the male boars who counterattack, no matter what.

From a hogs perspective, the threats are to their youngs because they themselves are one of the most dangerous animals in their ecosystem.
The usual northern hemsiphere top predator, the gray wolf is from an "armament" point of view a very weak equivalent to the hog with both acting in groups. this leaves as "armament superior" predators large cats, but few of them act in groups, while hogs are in mutually supporting groups, including the aforementioned kamikaze mentality for tuskers if mortally wounded. Don't take me wrong, hogs do have problems with predators, but except humans, they are among the best omnivores to fight off almost all threats and not run away from them.
Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Might I suggest some additional equipment?

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/dtc-shared...-C78669-L4

That leg artery attack Kurt mentions could leave you very dead without any protection. You probably want better than tough pants if available.

I haven't read a lot of reviews and have no experience, but I believe some hunters carry multiple spears in case of failure. If that is true, I'd definitely pick up an extra Cold Steel Boar Spear. Cheap insurance.

Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another"

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA)
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you have a spare couple of grand - Puma Knives (germany) makes ( or made) a genuine boar spear. A 13 inch head, 78 inches overall.. I doubt you could find a more authentic one Happy
Stephane Rabier

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
I've seen them on an old Kettner catalogue, they indeed looked really sturdy.
Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hanson wrote:

That leg artery attack Kurt mentions could leave you very dead without any protection. You probably want better than tough pants if available.

I haven't read a lot of reviews and have no experience, but I believe some hunters carry multiple spears in case of failure. If that is true, I'd definitely pick up an extra Cold Steel Boar Spear. Cheap insurance.

The boar spear is still a legit hunting weapon in Germany because of the self-defense value when hunting hogs. It requires lots of skill to use these spears in order to stop the charging animal, but a spearman can thus defend a group of hunters with guns. Among hunters the boarspear also works as a badge of honour for this reason.

If you want to train using a boarspear try something similar to medieval training for mounted cavalry with a boar-vehicle coming towards you or devise a clever idea for your dog(or a farm pig because they are very clever and can be trained) to help you train with this item (don't harm the animal!). The problem is hitting underneath the protruding massive head into a very small area, the ribcage, of an animal running towards you that might even try to turn away your weapon on the run - a wild hog, not a farm pig that looks like a hog and is very surprised by human hostility!

As for safety, chainsaw approved trousers will be fine, although you might ask about their penetration resistance specifics degree. Many of these trousers have quick fix kit in place to stop bleeding of major arteries. Hog-hunting and working with the chainsaw both share the characteristic of high powered objects cutting the arteries and killing the man by massive bleeding. For this reason special first aid and protection has been developed for woodworkers, who also have special first aid equipment in their groups - you need helpers to apply it - for such contingencies and you can ask them about that!

The hunters with the group of boars in the image above possibly wear some kind of stiff clothing, protecting the outside of the legs as the boar will run sideways from the opponent and hit while passing.
As for dogs, if you look at the above images you'll see different breeds, fighting animals with a short snout and trackers with a long snout. The nobles in their enclosure just waste fighting dogs.
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian Hutchison wrote:
Here are some spears that (clearly) have been used for the purpose...

I think this is the Arms & Armor Friedrich IV Spear. I have this spear and love it. I have always wanted to take hunting.

Scott Hanson wrote:
That leg artery attack Kurt mentions could leave you very dead without any protection. You probably want better than tough pants if available....

I daresay, if you have it, plate leg harness should be quite effective too-
http://www.platener.eu/oslonynog_en.html

Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Scott Hanson

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the biggest problem with plate legs would be noise. If you're not using dogs, you need to be able to maintain your stealth to get close enough, and I doubt you could do that with plate legs.

Maybe brigandine?

T. Arndt

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hanson wrote:
I think the biggest problem with plate legs would be noise. If you're not using dogs, you need to be able to maintain your stealth to get close enough, and I doubt you could do that with plate legs.
Maybe brigandine?

If you just wear the greaves or schynbalds it should be pretty much slient. At least my schynbalds are.

Scott Hanson

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't schynbalds just cover the lower leg though? The big concern in boar hunting is protecting your femoral artery, and the thigh is the place you can expect the boar to strike from what I've read (again, no actual experience here).

T. Arndt

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Hanson wrote:
Don't schynbalds just cover the lower leg though?

Yes that is correct.
Scott Hanson wrote:
The big concern in boar hunting is protecting your femoral artery, and the thigh is the place you can expect the boar to strike from what I've read (again, no actual experience here).

Interesting. It seems like the feral pigs very greatly in size by region. I could see some of the big boys down south doing this kind of damage.

I'm curious if the higher injuries are not more common in rifle hunters. I'm curious if in general serious injury is more common in rifle/bow/ranged hunters. All of the videos I have seen where the hunter was injured have been where the pig has charged and closed the distance. No first hand experience here either unfortunately.

Scott, it sounds like we need to plan a hunting vacation Happy

Kurt Scholz

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Noobs can shoot hogs, you need training to dare face their charge with a spear. Numbers might not tell the whole story.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > "functional" boar spears?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: