Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Were bracers only for archery? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Let me add a couple of examples for clarity. I'm not concerned with vambraces, bazubands, or arm cannons as part of a warrior's panoply; I'm specifically addressiing the perception that bracers were simply worn as day to day garb.

I especially like the half naked pseudo-Scot with bracers. He's medievalish.

Ah, why would one wear these unless for battle/fighting as they are probably hot and sweaty and of little use unless one expects to be in daily sword or knife fights.

If fighting the vambraces, bazubands arm cannons make sense ..... the bracers for everyday wear I don't think so as period art don't seem to show their general " universal " use ! ( Again: Hollywood ! And the archers bracer would be just for archery ! ).

Just opinion though. Wink Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
So thus far I can reasonably see bracers used for archery (which is no surprise) and hypothetically introduced to the new world via Spanish gauchos, possibly for protection from rope.

If it's for protection from rope burns, though, I have to wonder why they weren't using leather gauntlets/gloves altogether, which would seem to be the more sensible and more protective choice....
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette wrote:
Quote:
If it's for protection from rope burns, though, I have to wonder why they weren't using leather gauntlets/gloves altogether, which would seem to be the more sensible and more protective choice....

Might be intended to leave the fingers free to easily handle said rope. I've had a hard time working with rope with gloves on before. On the other hand, I've regretted my decision to pull off my gloves too... Advantages and disadvantages to either I suppose.
Robert Subiaga Jr.

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Gavin Kisebach wrote:
So thus far I can reasonably see bracers used for archery (which is no surprise) and hypothetically introduced to the new world via Spanish gauchos, possibly for protection from rope.

Gauntlets typically have too much slack in the cuffs. "Bracers" used as part of herding are meant to fit snugly, for reasons including that they protect against rope burns when the rope is intentionally looped once or more around the forearm to be played out and/or brought on. Gauntlets w/ their slack in the cuffs will work, but more awkwardly.

Starting in a hollowed log of wood—some thousand miles up a river, with an infinitesimal prospect of returning! I ask myself "Why?" and the only echo is "damned fool!...the Devil drives...
Frank Mahoney

PostPosted: Thu 21 May, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:

Google bracers and you'll see what I mean; they're wildly popular. I can't think of a reason to wear big leather cuffs, unless you thought your wrists were in constant jeopardy. I suppose I could see a tradesman wearing them for protection, but as far as I know there's just no evidence of it. They just seem to appear sometime in the 20th century.

I own a pair of garment leather cuff/bracers, and when I'm not wearing them as part of my ren-faire psuedo pirate getup I tend to put them on when I go camping or hiking or playing capture the flag. They provide a little protection to my wrists when I'm pushing branches out of the way and knocking into things. I've seriously considered making a pair of close fitting sleeve things that lace onto the forearm from wrist to elbow for just that purpose.

Just a thought, but, bracers might just be a fashionable piece of clothing right now. Even given that people are supposed to be recreating history, or at least claim they are, fashion is still going to have an influence. My studies of history, such as they are, have left me impressed that historically fashions changed very quickly in some places and times. History tends to be presented as discreet images, 'This is what all romans looked like! This is what all vikings looked like! That denies that fashions could and did change in various times and places. Ultimately, I'm not surprised that the trend continues even today.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Were bracers only for archery?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: