Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

JG,
That isn't weird at all. I would much rather be able to make this stuff then buy it any day. Then my collection would be exactly what I would want it to be. Plus there is just something awesome about making something with your own hands.

While I am here though I will say that I would love to get my hands on Peter Johnsson's new longsword, and that huge swiss saber that Nathan has from A&A. In addition I would like a custom piece from Barta and EBE.
Somebody has this A&A custom rapier and my envy with it:

Likewise, there has been more than one incarnation of Jake Powning's Du-Sith, so there's a neighbor out there with this toy:

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Zach Luna on Sat 14 Aug, 2010 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
C. Gadda wrote:
I would have to put in a vote for Mr. Bell's Iron Age Celtic long sword

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_tmpl_celt.html

I too, vote for Mr. Bell's TEMPL Celtic sword.
I am in serious envy of Scott Kowalski's early glaive by Michael Pikula. :cool:

Attachment: 24.79 KB
DSCN0470.jpg
Scott Kowalski's early glaive by Michael Pikula
There are some stunning swords on show here and as a new member i haven't seen many of them before, I am truly envious of these stunning pieces.
I want to ask a question on etiquette if i see a sword I would like made, is my first obligation to ask the owner for permission to have one similar made, I say similar because i feel some details should be different so no two are identical, or is it a matter between the swordmaker and his customer to only make the one. As most of these swords are based on ideas from pieces in museums they are essentially copies themselves so is it a free for all on getting what you want regardless of who owns something similar. Personally I would ask the owners permission first, as you are coping there sword, then the swordmaker. any thoughts.
I always had hoped I could have gotten this one by Jody Samson:
David Spencer wrote:
There are some stunning swords on show here and as a new member i haven't seen many of them before, I am truly envious of these stunning pieces.
I want to ask a question on etiquette if i see a sword I would like made, is my first obligation to ask the owner for permission to have one similar made, I say similar because i feel some details should be different so no two are identical, or is it a matter between the swordmaker and his customer to only make the one. As most of these swords are based on ideas from pieces in museums they are essentially copies themselves so is it a free for all on getting what you want regardless of who owns something similar. Personally I would ask the owners permission first, as you are coping there sword, then the swordmaker. any thoughts.

David,
That's a great question for a new thread. Why don't you make a new topic in the Off-Topic Talk forum?
I second the motion. All in favor.......
AYE!
Done. Topic is : Permission denied in the Off-Topic Talk forum
Please add the following daggers to my pile of things I covet.

Tod's Stuff ballock dagger set:

[ Linked Image ]

Tod's Stuff dudgeon dagger:

[ Linked Image ]
Tim Lison wrote:
It's so hard to choose as there are so many nice swords out there! This is a replica of the Fetter Lane sword done by Patrik Barta, owned by Kirk Spencer. This is one I would love to have!

How the heck did that one slip under my radar?!? That is probably the single, most GORGEOUS Migration-era sword I've ever seen!
That's an easy one, anything from what I consider as the pantheon of smithing excellence would do:

A number of you out there own custom pieces by:

Peter Johnsson, Jake powning, Patrick Barta, Robert Moc, Owen Bush/Tod, Vince Evans and E.B. Erickson, Marc Vickers and Arms and Armor. Among the ones not around anymore, Phoenix metal creation for these superb complex hilts.

Pictures won't be necessary, we all know what these guys are capable of :)

J
I will have someone make me a copy of these one day if it is the last thing I do...
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
As a lover of Scottish weapons I must say I have drooled many times over Nathan Robinson's beautiful bronze Claymore....simply magnificent.......................Larry
Coveting thy neighbour's toys
Rex Roae's espada ancha
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Please add the following daggers to my pile of things I covet.

Tod's Stuff ballock dagger set:

[ Linked Image ]

Nathan you don't live too far away, so anytime you want to come on down and drool on my bollock dagger, send me a PM and it can be arranged. :-)
This topic has been interesting and useful for me. Because I posted it, i was able to acquire a couple things that I expressed wanting. Lucky for me! Perhaps this was on the back of my mind when I posted? Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure.

But an unexpected thing happened as well. I just sold an item that was mentioned in this topic and am considering putting up for sale a couple more items from this topic. The fact that I know there are interested parties is really pushing me to consider such things.

For the record, the item that I recently sold was my Bronze-hilted Claymore. This was a custom piece made over 10 years ago. When I moved into the pad I live now, I put the sword into a closet and there it sat for 5 years. When I saw it mentioned in this topic, I put some thought into the fact that I hadn't handled the piece in so long so I might as well sell it.

When I first got it, it was a a really great example of a sword that was of higher quality than most of the offerings available at the time. My worry was that because it's so old and the market has changed so drastically that it would perhaps not be able to match up to the quality that today's market provides. I was wrong. I took it out and after some polishing and upkeep, I realized that the piece was better than my memory (or my old crappy photos) recalled. It's actually pretty great.

The new owner is happy with the piece. I gave him a very good price. All he had to do was ask, really. It never hurts to ask. :)

I took a few quick photos of it before boxing it up and seeing it for the last time. Here they are for the sake of posterity:

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

Click photos for high-resolution versions
Chris Goerner wrote:
Fun idea for a thread, Nathan!

Here are my favorites:

My all time favorite -- a Walter Allen hilt by ElJay Erickson. Formerly of Thomas MacDonald's collection. Not sure who the lucky owner is now.
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/5475.html

Kelvingrove Dirk by Vince Evans. Ben Sweet posted the photo, so I am assuming he is the owner. Is that right, Ben?
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/4257.html

The all-brass hilted dirk Mac used to own was also a favorite of mine. Couldn't find any photos of it in the user albums.

Pinch of Snuff by ElJay. I believe Steve Grisetti is the current owner??
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/4952.html

Diamond hilt by Vince Evans -- also formerly of Mac's collection. Again, not sure who has it now.
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/6482.html

Update to include this recent addition to Nathan's collection -- a beautiful example of an early dirk!

Attachment: 36.91 KB
ve_dirk_thick_spine01_s.jpg

I figured I'd bring this back to life...

A sword I currently covet is Tim Lison's Robert Moc Rus type Z

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Absolutely stunning piece of work!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: