Windlass Type XIV Arming Sword Project
I wanted to do something a little more with one of these Windlass Type XIVs, so I ordered one earlier in the week from Kult of Athena and did a little treatment to it.

I won't bother with a review on this sword, because just about everyone has one and we all know how it performs. Mine is no different and I am more than happy with my purchase. It's a nice little sword, but most people know this already.

Now, I wanted something light and simple to wear in lieu of a two-hander with my kit. I looked at a few different models and finally decided on this sword on what I have read here and on other sites. With this sword, I wanted an aged look, yet not neglected. I wanted it to be more detailed than the other Windlasses of it's type. So, I went to work.

First, I removed the annoying lacquer and sticker/logo. Since I had the sword sharpened by Windlass. I blended the edges with a diamond hone.

Next, I stripped the stock grip wrap and applied bluing to the pommel and guard to obtain a greyed steel finish similar to a stock Del Tin. I then standed the grip and added three risers - one on either end and a central one.

I wrapped the grip with cord and some 2oz leather and dyed a nice deep oxblood/black cherry color which I wrapped in cord. I then sealed the grip with leather sheen and let dry.

Then, for the finishing touch, I took a couple of Egyptian coins I picked up there last year on a military venture and mounted them inside the pommel recesses. They fit perfectly and offer a little bit of mystique and color to the pommel. Since the writing is in Arabic, it tends not to look modern. Each coin is the exact same demonination and size, however the obverse is different - so I mounted the differering script up. (In the photos, the coin/recess still needs a little cleaning a bit, but it's fine for now until I get around to polishing them a little).

I dropped the whole package in a Christian Fletcher Ranger Belt, laced with with same color latigo as I used on the grip, and now it's ready to go...

So, here is my unique Windlass Arming Sword. Enjoy!

Very nice work indeed. I don't actually have one of those; could someone enlighten me as to how it performs? I had a Classic Medieval once, and it was quite overweight and had some hilt rattle.

M.
M. Eversberg II wrote:
Very nice work indeed. I don't actually have one of those; could someone enlighten me as to how it performs? I had a Classic Medieval once, and it was quite overweight and had some hilt rattle.

M.

Try here: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_ws_typeiv.html . :)
Very nice grip work mate! (maybe a little bit too much leather overlap on the pommel and grip for my taste but that's really being picky :) )

Never been a fan of those coins inserts in the pommel though, but it's all a matter of taste. I love type XIV, but I always kept away from that one because I want a "fat" type XIV, as broad at the base as possible. This one is somehow slender compared to...let's say the met sword.

How did the edge came out? Would you have a close up of the bended edge?

Best,

J
Julien M wrote:
Never been a fan of those coins inserts in the pommel though, but it's all a matter of taste. I love type XIV, but I always kept away from that one because I want a "fat" type XIV, as broad at the base as possible. This one is somehow slender compared to...let's say the met sword.

The Type XIV in the Met is pretty darn big. I think it's slightly unusual in its size for the type even though it has all the classic features of the Type XIV (diamond cross-section notwithstanding).
Chad Arnow wrote:

The Type XIV in the Met is pretty darn big. I think it's slightly unusual in its size for the type even though it has all the classic features of the Type XIV (diamond cross-section notwithstanding).

It certainly stands out yes! For having seen the type XIV in the Morosini collection with my own eyes, I indeed found it to be of great size for it's type, but I don't believe that blade to be (proportionally) any wider at it's base than, say a yeoman's or sovereign's. It's a matter of personal preference, but I'm drawn to wide blades tapering strongly towards the point...gives the sword a lot of authority and a hell of a mean look I think (you know what I'm talking about I’m sure Chad, as you are the lucky owner of a A sovereign :) )

J
Chad Arnow wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

Try here: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_ws_typeiv.html . :)

Ah; I was looking for the "XIV", no wonder I missed that.

M.
Nice work on a fun sword for the money.
Thanks for the complements!

I don't have a closer photo of the edge or of the pommel end (I actually wrap it a little large, then compress to fit, so the end result has a little less overlap, btw). I was so excited about getting those perfect fitting coins into place, I could not wait to get a picture of them up.

I'll put it like this; this sword could cost twice as much and I'd not have a problem with it. I am not a huge Windlass fan, but every now and then, they get it right. This sword ranks right up there with the old GBS, Transitional Viking, Higgins, and others that were unfortunately discontinued over the years. This blade is exceptionally fast in the hand when compared with every other Windlass I have held save perhaps the Coustille.

It's a nice little sword, but does not feel that 'little' if that makes any sense. One does not sense the blade is as short as it is because of the blade presence. :D
May have to get one of those one day.

M.
I liked the MRL Higgins and the Del Tin 5140, both of which are Type XIVs. The Higgins is still one of my favorite swords of all time, even though I believe it's a little shorter than it's historical counterpart - at the shoulders the blade is over 3" across, giving it a pretty dramatic taper - moreso that I have seen on any other production sword. It was probably the beefiest sword MRL/Windlass made - its built like the brick outhouse. The Type IV is a good inexpensive addition that has some of the same pros; which suprises me about the newer Windlass stuff.

I eyed this sword for about a year and a half before I bought it. Reading all the good people are saying about it made it to where I could not refuse. The flared shoulders were an excellent idea, giving the Type IV sexy looks and making it an apt cutter - kind of a hybrid between the Higgins and Transitional Viking - sweetening the deal just enough to put this sword over the top for me to buy it. It was begging for some improvement, and I wanted it to be more than the average bear if I take it out and about at a period event! :D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: