Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deadliest Warrior Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, I don't have cable or satellite T.V. and I haven't seen this show so I'm basing my opinion on what I can imagine this show is like from other people's posts.

You're in luck. Full episodes are available online.

http://www.spike.com/show/31082

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Joshua Connolly

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"William Wallace versus Shaka Zulu"? Are they actually trying to determine if individual warriors would beat each other? This had to be a joke. What's next, "Miyamoto Musashi versus Jeanne D'arc"?
David Sutton

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just watched the Viking vs Samurai episode on youtube.

What can I say? Between bouts of irritation at the usual cliches, fantasy presented as fact and absurd conclusions, I was laughing my head off! Big Grin

Some of this stuff is really hilarious, the fighting is so terrible its almost pythonesque, actually, I think Monty Python has more convincing fights! The script is dire. I really feel sorry for the narrator (who sounds suspiciously like David Wenham from LOTR?) who had to read it as if he was taking it all very seriously (I love the way he says Naginata!). I almost sprayed the screen of my computer with Diet Pepsi when he compared the Viking and the Samuai to 'fire and Ice'! Laughing Out Loud Eek! The banter between the two teams is very wooden and so obviously staged.

The editing is pretty sloppy too, in one of the 'after commercial break recaps', the narrator is describing how great and honourable the Samurai were etc, while its actually showing a guy dressed as a Ninja! Did anyone notice the Samurai resheathing his 'diamond hard' razor sharp Katana by casually grabbing the blade with his bare hand? Eek! Just a couple of the inumerable 'gaffs' I spotted.

The fight at the end tops it all off. Of course the Samurai had to win, everyody knows he was the greatest warrior in Anime.....I mean history! Right? WTF?! Wink

This show entertains for all the wrong reasons.

BTW, Joshua, I'm genuinely hoping they make that episode, Miyamoto Musashi vs Jeanne D'arc, would be awsome Cool

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Tony Brass

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was going to comment that any show about weapons and armor must be entertaining, and that being so critical of this show might be a symptom of forgetting how to have fun with our shared interest in historical weaponry.

Then I saw the show "Viking vs. Samurai." It is diffcult to defend. I simply found it wasteful. They have all of those fun replicas, all of those resources, and all of that equipment. They really had to go out of their way to make the show bad.

If they simply experimented, and stopped pretending to be scientific, and historically precise, the show might not be so insulting to one's intelligence. Too bad.
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Connolly wrote:
"William Wallace versus Shaka Zulu"? Are they actually trying to determine if individual warriors would beat each other? This had to be a joke. What's next, "Miyamoto Musashi versus Jeanne D'arc"?

Charlamaign VS Billy the Kid Wink
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the problem is that they sank thier entire budget into the sweet dummies and couldn't afford to hire any historians.

Having already bought the dummies, they had to make a show so they found a few guys from the office who like to watch the history channel (and have a couple of Osprey books for toilet reading) and asked them about samurais, pirates, and vikings.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Chuck Wyatt

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with everything posted. The show is just an excuse to wail on Ballistic jell dummies.
But I do plan on watching the knight vs pirate episode, just to prepare myself for any new myths being developed that will eventually need debunking.
Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The real problem with this kind of program is that there are a lot of uneducated people out there who will watch it and take the information provided as gospel truth. Then they'll go and spread what they've seen around (the worst kind of scenario for this is a teacher watching it and then sharing all of the misinformation with their class). I've had my share of folks who've watched something like this and then proceed to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about because "they watched a program on Discovery Channel, and therefore it must be true."

I really wish that somebody would have the good sense enough to produce a program like this, and at least do their homework, which means hiring competent reasearchers, and then use the information they provide. I mean, come on! there are enough people in this industry who actually know what they're talking about who would love to be interviewed for a program like this, and be able to provide accurate information. But then again, we're talking about a program that is pitting a ninja against a Spartan to see who can beat whom. Based on that thought, kindly disrgard everything I just said...
Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ya... the Samurai vs. Viking episode... 'bout that...

I'm done with the show now, not that I'm spiteful, its just like watching some other kind of show, and then it turns out to not be all that interesting or entertaining, and then just changing the channel or picking up a book. Its funny, "Deadliest Warrior" reminds me a lot of a card game I used to play call "Anachronism" http://www.trikinggames.com/oracle. I remembered about it after hearing that the 4th episode was going to be a knight vs a pirate.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I really wish that somebody would have the good sense enough to produce a program like this, and at least do their homework, which means hiring competent reasearchers, and then use the information they provide.

It'll never happen for one simple (though huge) difference: You are persuing your passion for knowledge. They are selling entertainment. You can take all the time you need to gather minute details and fill in the edges, they have 30 minutes to grab and hold a fickle audience. They don't even have time to clearly state the history and context of an Apache, let alone give a decent assesment of his tools.

Now if they did 120 weekly minutes show on each match up, you might have something. Give 30 minutes to summarize each culture and warrior (and dispell some myths) then the next day do 30 minutes of tests, followed by 30 minutes of analysis, you might have a show worth more than the steaming heap that "Deadliest Warrior " currently is. Even then it wouldn't do the topic justice.

What needs to happen is that the myArmoury gang needs to collaborate on making our own documentary. I'll be over here, holding my breath.....

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding what Peter and Gavin have said:

I think it would be interesting to have a person involved in a project like this who can do some decent research simply to avoid getting anything wrong. I don't expect an entertainment program to include a lot of factual info, but I would like to see it deliver what info it does in an accurate manner.

In other words, if they were to simply avoid all the wrong crap and use the same limited time (about 5 minutes in total, for hte show) to accurate info and then improve on the entertainment aspect of things, this show wouldn't be bad.

Stop calling a Viking sword a "longsword", as only one example, and simply calling it a "sword" would not take any more time or anything away from the entertainment aspect of things but would at least make it less wrong.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Viking longsword does make me facepalm. I can see them making the common "claymore" and "broadsword" misnomers, but viking longsword? That's pretty bad.
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I concur, this show is very basic entertainment. I watched the Apache vs. Murmillo(?) and the Viking vs. Samurai ones though it got boring after a while when I realised it's basically all talk, but not saying much.
Basicaly it's cool to wonder and muck around with the whole 'what if...' notion, but how can you compare a 10th century warrior with a 15th century soldier?
And Maori vs. Shaolin Monk, I wonder how many people they'll offend with that one Laughing Out Loud

P.S. At the least they could have Googled or used Wikipedia for some info... Any info... At all...[/i]

Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

O... what the hell... since were all having fun here...

Aliens vs Predator !!!!

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Aliens vs Predator !!!!

Hey, not a bad idea. You could also throw in the Terminator, Robocop, or Batman.... Oh wait, that's been done....

They should have gotten some people who actually train in the various arts depicted (though most of them except for the Gladiator stand-in claimed to be so trained), had them whack the dummies, then fight each other with padded weapons. Would be far more revealing than their "amazing" simulations.

Minor thoughts: The guy playing as the Gladiator was punching the dead cow, but the fight scenes showed some slashing action. Anyone know if one technique was favored over the other? (The point may be moot, because against an unarmored opponent both are probably killing blows.)
Concerning the Samurai dressed as a Ninja, as David mentions: To start Ninja dressed as the situation warranted, not always in the classic B-movie style everyone thinks of. Ignoring that, the Samurai shown just looks like he's in black armor and a mask, not the Ninja get-up. I don't think that was really a mistake or anything, just a Ninja-like outfit.
Reinier van Noort

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After reading about this show on ArmourArchive and here I decided to simply ignore it and flee from it like it was a plague. Then somebody posted a link on my group's forum. That meant I had to watch it simply to know what misinformation would have to be countered. I saw the viking vs. samurai episode. It made me make really nasty posts on our group forum.

The one thing I did like to see was that a swordstrike with poor edge alignment still does massive damage to a dummy.

School voor Historische Schermkunsten

www.bruchius.com
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why it wasn't knight vs samurai I'll never know...

Seriously though, who wouldn't like a few of those gell dummies?
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think my biggest problem with this show, after watching on youtube, is that the winner is decided by the "computer simulation". (well, classifying a shield as a "special weapon" for a viking was a bit of a streatch, as was giving the samurai a tetsubo, I thought they were a pretty obscure weapon)

Reminded me of a funny incident a few years back. A friend of mine wrote his own "combat simulator" then programmed in his assesment of his friends' and his own speed, skill, fitness, strength, body weight, techniques (and their percieved merits, once again, his assesments) into the combat simulator and then ran it. You will never guess who won according to the simulator...

Last edited by Nat Lamb on Fri 17 Apr, 2009 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Wolfe

PostPosted: Fri 17 Apr, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The idea that others have previously mentioned of putting together some kind of counter to the faults of "Deadliest Warrior" may not be that bad an idea, especially if it could save the folks that are inspired by the show, and take an interest in historical arms and start doing their own research into it. It could never probably reach all of those who have been exposed to the program, but it could "save" a few from going down that path of a poor understanding.
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sat 18 Apr, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

its best to just tune-out the trash talking and combat recreations and just enjoy the weapon tests. i've stated here before that i think that the best way to do weapon vs armor test would be with ballistic gel like they do for firearms. the weapon affects on the gel dummy are pretty interesting. seeing the way that the viking axe was partially deflected by the samuri helmet was also interesting.

i would have liked to see how the viking 'longsword' did against the samuri armor though...

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Deadliest Warrior
Page 3 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: