Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some arms & armour from Royal Armouries Museum Leeds Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Some arms & armour from Royal Armouries Museum Leeds         Reply with quote

I went on another of my day trips today. This time to Leeds and to the excellent Royal Armouries Museum. I thought I'd post up some pictures of just a few things including the 'Hall of Steel' (I want one!), the beaufiful 'Lion Armour,' some other intricate armour including one with a very nicely realised religious motif, some Islamic and Japanese armour, and finally one shot of my wife about to be mowed down by an armoured war elephant.

I would highly recommend a visit to anyone who happened to be in the Leeds area.

Nathan M Wuorio

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that's quite something! I'll have to stop by next time I'm across the pond! Thanks for the pictures. (I also want a "Hall of Steel", it would really accent my living room)
Nathan.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing these! I love seeing the large and elaborately arranged wall displays.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Thank you for sharing these! I love seeing the large and elaborately arranged wall displays.

Yes very impressive and must be quite a job getting up there to dust/clean. Wink Laughing Out Loud

In a way a bit frustrating if one wants a closer look at one of the arms displayed at the top ? I guess it might be worth it to bring binoculars to be able to admire some of the details on the ones on top !

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
In a way a bit frustrating if one wants a closer look at one of the arms displayed at the top ? I guess it might be worth it to bring binoculars to be able to admire some of the details on the ones on top !

In all honesty I don't think the arms and armour on this wall are of the highest quality; looked like the were produced just for this display (though no doubt still much better than the average rubbish most people are willing to buy), and there's plenty to look at close-up in the museum itself.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Emmet J. McGauran wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

In all honesty I don't think the arms and armour on this wall are of the highest quality; looked like the were produced just for this display (though no doubt still much better than the average rubbish most people are willing to buy), and there's plenty to look at close-up in the museum itself.

I suspect much of that sort of thing in most museums is munitions stuff or even reproductions, but I for one appreciate the effort that goes into those types of displays.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Emmet J. McGauran wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

You believe them to be replicas?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 15 Apr, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Emmet J. McGauran wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Agreed, it looks like some common stuff like identical bayonets placed together to produce a very aesthetically pleasing pattern or almost a texture like effect.

Truly rare or unique pieces are probably placed so as to be easy to see.

In any case the wall display looks very nice. ( Note: My comment in my previous post where half in jest. Big Grin Cool ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Emmet J. McGauran

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is some info from the museum's site:

http://www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds/...l-of-steel

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Some arms & armour from Royal Armouries Museum Leeds
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic