Some arms & armour from Royal Armouries Museum Leeds
I went on another of my day trips today. This time to Leeds and to the excellent Royal Armouries Museum. I thought I'd post up some pictures of just a few things including the 'Hall of Steel' (I want one!), the beaufiful 'Lion Armour,' some other intricate armour including one with a very nicely realised religious motif, some Islamic and Japanese armour, and finally one shot of my wife about to be mowed down by an armoured war elephant.

I would highly recommend a visit to anyone who happened to be in the Leeds area.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Wow, that's quite something! I'll have to stop by next time I'm across the pond! Thanks for the pictures. (I also want a "Hall of Steel", it would really accent my living room)
Thank you for sharing these! I love seeing the large and elaborately arranged wall displays.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Thank you for sharing these! I love seeing the large and elaborately arranged wall displays.

Yes very impressive and must be quite a job getting up there to dust/clean. ;) :lol:

In a way a bit frustrating if one wants a closer look at one of the arms displayed at the top ? I guess it might be worth it to bring binoculars to be able to admire some of the details on the ones on top !
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
In a way a bit frustrating if one wants a closer look at one of the arms displayed at the top ? I guess it might be worth it to bring binoculars to be able to admire some of the details on the ones on top !

In all honesty I don't think the arms and armour on this wall are of the highest quality; looked like the were produced just for this display (though no doubt still much better than the average rubbish most people are willing to buy), and there's plenty to look at close-up in the museum itself.
Emmet J. McGauran wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

In all honesty I don't think the arms and armour on this wall are of the highest quality; looked like the were produced just for this display (though no doubt still much better than the average rubbish most people are willing to buy), and there's plenty to look at close-up in the museum itself.

I suspect much of that sort of thing in most museums is munitions stuff or even reproductions, but I for one appreciate the effort that goes into those types of displays.
Emmet J. McGauran wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

You believe them to be replicas?
Emmet J. McGauran wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Agreed, it looks like some common stuff like identical bayonets placed together to produce a very aesthetically pleasing pattern or almost a texture like effect.

Truly rare or unique pieces are probably placed so as to be easy to see.

In any case the wall display looks very nice. ( Note: My comment in my previous post where half in jest. :D :cool: ).
Here is some info from the museum's site:

http://www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds/...l-of-steel

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: