Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval festivals in europe this summer? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christoffer Lorang Dahl

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Medieval festivals in europe this summer?         Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm going interrailing this summer, from the end of june to middle of july. I was thinking it would have been fun to visit a medieval festival, without all the hassle of being a participant. So does anybody know a good festival with a marketplace where I can use all my money on more armour, clothing and leatherwork?

I'm guessing I probably could find this in Poland, but I do need some help sorting out the good ones.

Thanks

Heavy metal!
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tewkesbury is well worth a visit - a huge battle and a large market:

http://www.tewkesburymedievalfestival.org/

(If you visit, don't forget to visit the Compline service on Saturday night in the abbey!)
Lukasz Papaj

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Depending what "middle of july" means till the 17-19th of July, you might be able to get on Grunwald field,
http://www.grunwald1410.pl (Unfortunately, only in Polish Language)
There are always many makers there though, you know, quality vary a lot, and amour sellers are very, very rare, at least it was last time I attended as a guest. The "festival" is definitely big, though amount of things for outside guest (as in not from reenactment community) could be limited. I have no ties to the community now, and will definitely not participate, even as guest. It would be good idea to make contact with some group that will be attending.
Anyway, It definitely fits "festival" clause, but I'm not so sure about "marketplace" clause

On the brigher side, there is more likely you will nail something of interest there than on "Siege of Malbork" (http://www.oblezenie.malbork.p) that will be week later, which contrary to some propaganda, is 100% tourist focused affair, though some makers appear .. probably by some mistake Happy And "Mrok" will attend definitely (It is a term in polish reenactment community for combination of anachronisms, phantasy and out-of-place things in supposed reconstruction) So much for being local patriot Razz On the other hand The Castle is always worth to visit Happy

Both events are focused on events from 1409-1411 "Great War" between Alliance of Kingdom of Poland and Duchy of Lithuania versus Teutonic Order.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Medieval festivals in europe this summer?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic