Sheath 14 Century
Hello.
I am interested in what the system of fastening sheath for the belt was in the late 14 th century

Here is an example.

Attachment: 117.51 KB
1624421716_99ce50f10f_b.jpg

The quick answer: to the best of my knowledge, no one knows.

The long answer: based on discussions I have had concerning this, there are some ideas floated around of various ways that scabbards were attached to the plaque belt as seen in effigies and illuminations from the period late 14th early 15th centuries. Some have theorized a hook on the back of the locket, but lockets tended to go in and out of fashion. Some believe that there is a thonged piece of leather or a small looped belt through the back of the scabbard between the leather of the scabbard and the wood, which is then tied off or buckled to the plaque belt. There have been hints of what might be going on behind the scabbard, but nothing concrete, and barring opening a grave or two to document this, we won't likely know with the current level of information we have.

I could be wrong here. If anyone has concrete documentation, I'd love to see it. I believe that the laced scabbard and belt had gone out of fashion c 1365 and the locket and ring and the suspension belt had not yet come into fashion.

Oh and welcome to myArmoury

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: