Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > practice pollaxe/beck de corbin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
That's really interesting; I'm not familiar with Anonimo (cute name!), so I'll have to look into that.

It's called the Anonimo because it's an anonymous manuscript (actually, two manuscripts). Unfortunately, unless you can read Italian, there's not really anything to look at, as there are no photos. However, there are quite a few techniques for the Azza with utilize the hook, as well as some that utilize the petal (i.e. butt-spike). The material is consistent with the other polearm material in the Bolognese system (i.e. Marozzo and Manciolino), just with certain aspects receiving more focus than with (for example) the partisan or ronca.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Hugh Knight

Reading list: 34 books

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Spreier wrote:
As regards Fiore's axe material- what I said before about the axe being shorter I think plays a large part of how he conducts his axe materials. I don't have the text in front of me, but I can paraphrase a section out of the Getty manuscripts axe section where Fiore shows the scholar holding the axe with his right foot forward, queue held in right hand (also forward) aand head angled back along the body. Clear as mud? K, this corresponds to his armoured guard with the sword, vera croce (they even share the name). Fiore does not show what to do from this point, but he does say something along the lines of "From this position, I will do the same play as the 1st scholar of the sword in armour". That is the most obvious place where I can say "here is where Fiore got this play". Also, in my opinion as a Fioreist (Thanks Christian, I had never thought to put it like that before Big Grin ) all the plays that Fiore shows, both in the sword, sword in armour, and axe sections occur after a crossing has already been made. It's kind of like Fiore saying "I don't care how you get here, but when you do, do this". I know that that is a gross generalization, but it seems to work for me.

Hi Alex,

I understand how we're supposed to see all arts of fighting in Fiore's work by comparing different sections, but what I'm saying is that when you do that--when you look at all these other plays--they don't contain a lot of the things that make the pollaxe special. And the pollaxe has so much that's unique you can't just expect to see it in sword plays, or spear plays, or even both combined. The lack of hooking techniques in Fiore is a great example of that, as I wrote above. Many of the central actions of the pollaxe--the core principles--just aren't done *anywhere* in Fiore. Everyone says "Oh, it's in there, you just have to know how to look", but when we sit down with axes and a copy of Fiore, suddenly they can't find these things anywhere.

Your point about actions after the bind is a great example of this problem: Sure, I understand how Fiore acts after the bind. Great, very clear. But Le Jeu and Talhoffer show different *ways* of binding, and different kinds of binds--things Fiore never even talks about. How do you act when you bind Queue against Queue and your opponent is hard in the bind vs. soft in the bind? No one can tell me Fiore mentions that anywhere, because I've had people look for it for me. And how do you handle a bind of the Queue vs. Croix? Since Fiore doesn't do anything like that with any weapon (except that one foot vs. mounted spear technique, and that's only against a spear, not against a poll weapon) you never learn about the heavy vs. light dynamic so important in Le Jeu.

Please note, I'm not insulting Fiore. I happen to think his grappling and dagger material is even more elegant and sophisticated than the German material. But his pollaxe material just don't measure up, not at all, not even when you try to take techniques from all his other material to supplement it.

I'm probably not explaining this well, because no one ever understands what I say about this when I type it, but they instantly see what I mean when I can demonstrate it with a pollaxe in my hand.

Anyway, like I said, let's get together; I'd love to show you a whole host of things that might amaze you.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven Reich wrote:
It's called the Anonimo because it's an anonymous manuscript (actually, two manuscripts). Unfortunately, unless you can read Italian, there's not really anything to look at, as there are no photos. However, there are quite a few techniques for the Azza with utilize the hook, as well as some that utilize the petal (i.e. butt-spike). The material is consistent with the other polearm material in the Bolognese system (i.e. Marozzo and Manciolino), just with certain aspects receiving more focus than with (for example) the partisan or ronca.

Hi Steve,

I got the bit about him being anonymous, that's why I said using the word made for a cute name. Has anyone published anything on this? I'm very interested to see it.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Steven Reich

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Knight wrote:
Steven Reich wrote:

Hi Steve,

I got the bit about him being anonymous, that's why I said using the word made for a cute name. Has anyone published anything on this? I'm very interested to see it.

The only thing available is the transcription. Frankly, there's too much material for anyone to be ready to publish anything in English on it. (The main corpus is the 485+(!) distinct plays for sword-alone, but it also covers Sword and Rotella, Sword and Targa, Sword and Brocchiero Piccolo, Sword and Brocchiero Largo, and and various other combinations). The only material out there at all (in English) that I know about is what I extracted from the Sword and Rotella sections and incorporated into my general compilation of Techniques for Sword and Rotella from the Bolognese sources (i.e. Manciolino, Marozzo, and The Anonymous). To publish anything meaningful on the "Bolognese Azza, it would have to be either a compilation of general Bolognese polearm material, or a compilation of pollaxe material from Fiore, Vadi, and The Anonymous.

Steve

Founder of NoVA-Assalto, an affiliate of the HEMA Alliance
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Hugh,

Dealing with a family emergency right now, so I will probably not be in this discussion for a few days. My wife's grandparents are in bad shape.

I will say that I see your point about Fiore. My personal project at the moment is to translate all of Fiore's axe material for my own benefit. I have some theories about exactly why he doesn't show these "bread and butter" axe techniques, but they aren't exactly too fleshed out yet. You can PM me for details.

As far as getting together, I'm in Oregon, but I plan on being at WMAW this year.

Well off to deal with life. Wish us luck.
Brian McIlmoyle

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Polaxe Shafts         Reply with quote

The trick is in the wood..

Quartersawn Ash is the proper material... or Ash Saplings ( we are going to plant some at one of the members farm so we will have a ready supply of shafts in about 3 years )

We never break a shaft in practice.. but always break them in tournaments...The recent tournament saw 2 shafts broken

The heads.. we are unhappy with the currently available heads.. we liked the Valentine ones with some mods... but they are no longer available

One of our members is a theatrical make up and prop artist.. she says she can cast whatever we want from high density metal filled rubber... so we have a prototyping project about to launch.

On the issue of Techniques.. Fiore has LOADS of techniques with the Butt end..

First remedy with sword in one hand... addresses covers with the butt .. many of the dagger plays can be done with the polaxe ..As can all the plays of the spear.. If you know the system everything is there.. I you are just looking at the polaxe plays and what you can see in the book Vs what is to be known in the book I could see how you would find it lacking..

But its not the system that is lacking.

I have Scholars who have been taught nothing but Fiore.. who in their axe play do everything that is in Le Jeu and everything that is in any of the German sources.

www.factoronto.com
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Polaxe Shafts         Reply with quote

Brian McIlmoyle wrote:
The trick is in the wood..

Quartersawn Ash is the proper material... or Ash Saplings ( we are going to plant some at one of the members farm so we will have a ready supply of shafts in about 3 years )

We never break a shaft in practice.. but always break them in tournaments...The recent tournament saw 2 shafts broken

Well, there you go. That's why we use rattan.

Quote:
One of our members is a theatrical make up and prop artist.. she says she can cast whatever se want from hifh density metal filled rubber... so we have a prototyping project about to launch.

Oh, that sounds as though it might be *perfect*. I hope you will post the results.

Quote:
On the issue of Techniques.. Fiore has LOADS of techniques with the Butt end..

First remedy with sword in one hand... addresses covers with the butt .. many of the dagger plays can be done with the polaxe ..As can all the plays of the spear.. If you know the system everything is there.. I you are just looking at the polaxe plays and what you can see in the book Vs what is to be known in the book I couls see how you would find it lacking..

Dagger plays to show pollaxe? No, sorry. And the first remedy of the one-handed sword? That doesn't address covers with the Queue (butt), it just shows how to swing a wide displacement. I teach Queue displacements all the time--in practically every class. They're a subtle but powerful two-handed action designed to deal with an unequal distribution of balance; viz., a light Queue will out-time a heavy Croix, and can displace it out to the side and return faster than the heavy Croix can, giving time for a quick thrust single. Sword on sword can't show these things.

Quote:
But its not the system that is lacking.

I have Scholars who have been taugh nothing but Fiore.. who in their axe play do everything that is le Jeu and everything that is in any of the German sources.

OK, In Le Jeu we learn that from the bind of the Queue we must feel the bind to see if it is hard or soft. If hard, we are to drop under the Queue and hook it from the inside to sweep it away. If soft, we are to push it around and down to hook it the other way to clear a path for attack. Please show me exactly where that play is in Fiore.

In Le Jeu we are taught to feint a strike to the head then drop down and hook the knee with the Bec. Please show me exactly where that is in Fiore.

If someone tries the knee hook, you are instructed to catch their Bec with your Queue and yank it out while thrusting them in the face. Please show me where, exactly, that is in Fiore.

In Talhoffer we are taught to counter a strike to the knee with an lower displacement in such a way that the axe passes behind the knee, then yank back with the Bec on the return motion and hook him off his feet. Please show me exactly which play in Fiore covers that.

Talhoffer also teaches us to displace an overhand blow to the outside while, in the same motion, we hook our opponent's neck with the Bec. Can you show me that in Fiore, please?

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Brian McIlmoyle

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh.... I can't make the blind see ... If I could.. I would not be puddling around in a forum at 1:30 at night.. half drunk on Port.

The plays are not "shown" but the lessons and skills that lead to these actions are learned in the study of the system.

The plays of Fiore are designed to teach lessons about fighting.. the insightful student will apply all the lessons to every fight regardless of the weapon in hand. When this is done a full spectrum of combative possibilites is realized.

If my Scholars can perform all the actions that you describe .. and they only system they have EVER been taught is Fiore.. clearly the lessons that lead to these actions is encumbant in the system.

Because you can't see that from your study does not mean that it is not true...

By the way.. it is nice to see that some things are constant in the world...

www.factoronto.com
Hugh Knight

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian McIlmoyle wrote:
Hugh.... I can't make the blind see ... If I could.. I would not be puddling around in a forum at 1:30 at night.. half drunk on Port.

The plays are not "shown" but the lessons and skills that lead to these actions are learned in the study of the system.

The plays of Fiore are designed to teach lessons about fighting.. the insightful student will apply all the lessons to every fight regardless of the weapon in hand. When this is done a full spectrum of combative possibilites is realized.

If my Scholars can perform all the actions that you describe .. and they only system they have EVER been taught is Fiore.. clearly the lessons that lead to these actions is encumbant in the system.

Because you can't see that from your study does not mean that it is not true...

By the way.. it is nice to see that some things are constant in the world...

So, in other words, you can't show where these plays are in Fiore. Exactly my point, thank you. If it's not explicit in the system then it comes from somewhere else.

I was very careful not to even seem to clash with anyone in this thread but rather to keep it on a purely academic level of discussion. Why did you have to stoop to attacks? OK, you win, I'll not post any more about this. I no longer respond to ad-hominem attacks on the internet.

Regards,
Hugh
www.schlachtschule.org
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Brian!

That's just it: a system uses plays to illuminate principles. Not every possible play need be shown. Some plays are inferred from combinations of others, informed by the system's fundamentals. But then you already know that. Wink

Such extrapolation is just as true in Liechtenauer's art as in Fiore's, despite the seeming completeness of the battery of surviving plays for the axe in German sources. For instance, it's trivial to perform the fundamental "Zornhau-Ort" play with the poleaxe, even though it's never described explicitly (I do it all the time). [For those unfamiliar with the term, this is downward blow with the sword against an opponent's blow, which then places a thrust into his face.]

BTW...How'd you break the hafts? - are these thinner than the Revival.us octagonal ones? I'm just curious because ours seem all but indestructible.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From the poleaxe poste, particularly the true cross, you get that same type of parry with the queue that is described in the Jeu, ending with the buttspike on line with the face in Posta serpentina lo soprano, although the grip is somewhat different. If you use a variant of the true cross, the bastard cross, it becomes even easier to get to that position.

It's a timing thing - parrying with the head puts you on the same plane, and is slower than the queue - as Hugh so aptly pointed out. This is the same motion used to set aside a blow in the spada en arme, which coincidentally is the same principle applied to the spada a una mano section of the MS - which is also the same lesson taught when blocking a dagger attack with the right hand and carrying it over to the left into an arm bar or other remedy from the 3rd master of dagger. You're isolating the opponent's right side.

You shouldn't need someone to spell it out for you perforce.

Like I tell my students - wrestling is dagger is sword is...

And thank you, Brian, for puddling around on the internet half-soused. I had never thought to include the una mano section when referring to the poleaxe. I usually stop at the spada en arme in my backward-reference. I'm enlightenend somewhat, although it doesn't change the system itself all that much, it's a small piece of the puzzle that had eluded me. Happy

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jason!

That's a thing, sometimes neglected by practitioners of diverse systems, that the guards/postae/leger are in themselves techniques and potentialities for them.

Cheers,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Jason G. Smith

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christian Henry Tobler wrote:
Hi Jason!

That's a thing, sometimes neglected by practitioners of diverse systems, that the guards/postae/leger are in themselves techniques and potentialities for them.

Cheers,

CHT

Hello, Christian!

Absolutely! If all Fiore had given us was a set of guards, we could still very easily infer a system simply by transitioning between them. A fact I find fascinating, actually.! Happy

Best,

Les Maîtres d'Armes
Member of the
Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

... above all, you should feel in your conscience that your quarrel is good and just. - Le Jeu de la Hache
Alex Spreier

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason G. Smith wrote:

Absolutely! If all Fiore had given us was a set of guards, we could still very easily infer a system simply by transitioning between them. A fact I find fascinating, actually.! Happy

Best,

Amen! That is what I was trying to get at in my earlier posts, but it's kind of a stressful situation right now, so my thoughts are kinda scattered.

I find that it helps to remember why these manuscripts were written; they were not written as modern "how-to" manuals, but as "spark notes" to aid the memory, so the masters did not need to show every single technique. How often when conducting a class do you find yourself saying "So now we can do what we did about ten minutes age, but from this position / with this weapon?" or something similar.

And anyways, no manuscript will feature every possible action with a weapon. At some point the student is just supposed to put two and two together and translate basic principles to other weapons. One example is in Le Jeu. The author describes the most basic defense against a blow, a queue parry (paragraphs 4,5 & 6), but he never describes how to counter his defense. The author of the Ravenna manuscript (the Anonimo Bolognese) does describe a counter to the queue parry, so we need to take in all available resources to really understand a weapon.

Just my 2cents.
Brian McIlmoyle

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From the perspective of attacks with the axe.. one has exactly the same 7 possible lines of attack as with the sword.. .. the lessons of the "seven swords" or Segno page should be applied to the problem. Just as it should be applied to all combative problems. ( this is indeed true as I use the Segno in my Firearms Combatives training as well)

Fiore does not show many hooking actions but plenty of opportunities to use the weapon to hook fall out of the play.. If you keep in mind the principles to fight from a cover, strike in the most vulnerable places, strive to tie up.. dislocate the limbs, disarm and cast your companion down where he can be killed... you don't need a play by play specific description... The axe play is late in the material.. because you must include everything that came before in its use.

When I say you may perform Dagger plays.. I mean the butt of the axe may be used to perform the same actions as your arm may ... you can affect disarms.. and keys in the same manner as you do unarmed. This takes substantial sensitivity to perform.. but experience has shown that it can be done.

The specific plays illustrated with the axe provide lessons that are true to the axe specifically.. the fact that there are so few illustrates just how similar the use of the axe is to the use of the sword and the spear. By the time you take up the axe you should already know what should be done. All you need do is integrate the character of the weapon into the fight. Fiore's axe plays are lessons defining the character of the Axe.

There is no such thing as "axe fighting" just as "sword fighting" is also a misnomer .. There is only fighting.. and it may be done with an axe.. or a sword...or a beer stein if necessary.

www.factoronto.com
Andrew Maxwell

PostPosted: Thu 13 Aug, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

with all due respect to Mr Tobler et al (and I do have the utmost respect for Mr Tobler and his knowledge of medieval martial arts), I have to agree with Mr Knight here. Plays which are not explicit in the manuscripts are not "part" of that system as far as we are aware. While we can extrapolate plays which are "likely", we can not be sure they were known by the authors, it's simply a guess (even if it does seem to be a probable one).

Brian McIlmoyle wrote:

This is a fallacious argument. If they had never had any martial training, would they somehow be rendered incapable of movement upon lifting a pollaxe? It is perfectly possible for them to work out some of the plays themselves (particularly with a little knowledge of biomechanics) without it being related to any specific training.
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Andrew,

Andrew Maxwell wrote:
with all due respect to Mr Tobler et al (and I do have the utmost respect for Mr Tobler and his knowledge of medieval martial arts), I have to agree with Mr Knight here. Plays which are not explicit in the manuscripts are not "part" of that system as far as we are aware. While we can extrapolate plays which are "likely", we can not be sure they were known by the authors, it's simply a guess (even if it does seem to be a probable one).

Given this line of reasoning, there are therefore many simple actions we must exclude, like how to strike a blow from above, which is never really detailed, but implied.

As a 'for instance', there's not one example of how to stab from above with the dagger in the Liechtenauer sources. Should a 'true practitioner' therefore never do this, instead always relying on defense, as per the plays? Well, we know from the system's philosophy that this is not so. Therefore, we must look to the way in which attacks are performed elsewhere to divine some more about to do this with this particular weapon.

I could go on and on about things that aren't explicitly described in one place wherein we must rely on other, related data. Without that willingness to 'fill in the blanks', we're left with gaping holes in the system.

A medieval combat system is *not* made up of plays. These aren't manuals, they're treatises, almost invariably written within the modality of the medieval Scholastic tradition, which means the primary function of the plays is to serve as exemplars for underlying principles. We can't read these collections of examples as the 'whole art'. That applies to any verse/gloss structured late medieval text on just about any subject.

If one studies only the plays, and is willing and trained to only perform them without adaption, they can expect to be bested everytime by someone who studies them as example material.

And, specifically to this discussion here, Fiore makes reference to the fact that his material is meant to be self-referential throughout the curriculum of various weapons he describes. Since he's telling us *how* to use his work, I think we should listen if we would claim to interpret and apply it.

All the best,

Christian

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Andrew Maxwell

PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Christian,

In the broad sense, I absolutely agree with what you are saying. I don't expect the manuscripts to be a complete fighting manual, as a person today might expect, with all the minutiae covered. They simply weren't written like that, and as a student of the Liechtenauer tradition myself, I am also aware of the need for interpretation and extrapolation to create more than a bare-bones system.

On the other hand, it is quite easy to move from extrapolation to addition or even invention. No two masters would have had exactly the same body of knowledge, and the suggestion sometimes seems to be that "master X knew this, therefore master Y knew it and just chose not to include it". To me this is quite different to "master X mentions this but doesn't describe it, therefore we'll perform it as master Y explains it because they probably did it the same way".

I don't know if I am explaining that very well; essentially I guess I am just trying to empasise that internal consistency of one system is not equivalent to consistency across different systems, if you see what I am saying? Also, partly what I was pointing out is that the contents of the manuscript is the only part we can be definitively sure of. That doesn't mean we should consider that the "entire" system, but we do need to be very careful how we extrapolate from that point if we are to maintain the original system and not simply create a hybrid of our own.

Best regards,
Andy
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Very late to the game on this thread.

The poleaxe material in the Anonymous Bolognese uses four guards: left and right guardia alta, left and right porta di ferro stretta (left and right vom Tag, left and right Ochs, for you German types). Although a reasonably short treatise - say twice the length of what is found in the text treatise of the second Kal Ms, it includes most of the basic actions of poleaxe combat. Besides some basic advice on striking with both ends of the weapon, you have:

1. a displacement with the haft and heel strike
2. the same done from the bind, axe head to axehead.
3. The collar throw with the haft, done from an initial parry, a bind, and as part of a winding action.
4. A counter to the same.
5. From a cross at the haft, a thrust with the heel into the groin or the top of the foot.
6. A collar hook with the "beak".
7. A knee hook with the same.
8. Using your beak to hook his axe from his hands.
9. A counter to the same.
10. A feint that draws a parry and falls under his weapon to thrust him.

That's most of the categories of material, from the top of my head. I am probably missing a play or two. But frankly, that is a pretty good summation of axe combat in a nut shell, and as much as I've seen in any one text other than Le Jeu.

With Monte the same feint appears, a disarm, and some rather nasty tactical advice about targeting the hands.

Fiore - OK, I will explain one it is contained and why I think this is just as complete as most other sources, and Hugh, you can come along for the ride or not as you choose. Wink Fiore's six plays of the axe are there to detail *one unique situation of axe play* - that is when the mass of both weapons being swung with a blow, bears both of their front ends to the ground. This is part of what makes it notably different from play of the sword in armour - the mass of the hammer/axe head can often result in a low crossing, rather than a high one. In that sense, the disarms, leg trip, visor-lift, etc that he shows are fairly unique in their focus.

When combining the Anonymous, Fiore (Vadi just shows a subset of his plays), and Monte, you have a poleaxe curriculum that teaches everything you need to know about the weapon, and is certainly just as full as the material we have from Kal, Talhoffer, and Falkner. Not better, just as complete.

Now, what *else* does Fiore have for his axe material? Well, first things first - buy Tom Leoni's excellent translation of Fiore so that you can see for yourself http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/fi...ia/7344691

OK, as has been stated, the armoured combat section is all one set of material, with each weapon's plays introducing unique emphases to that weapon.

So, first you begin with the axe poste, or guards. This section tells you what blows each weapon makes, how to step while doing so, and which guards oppose which guards. We are given tactical advice on how to avoid a blow, how to deflect one, and which targets to strike (including, yet again, Monte's advice to go after the hands). In essence, it tells you how to fight in what the Germans call the Zufechten.

Next, the spear section shows how to use a common play in the system - the exchange of thrusts - with a polearm. This is no different than a variation of an absetezen or Zornhau-Ort, just slightly different footwork. We are also taught the counter - displacing a thrust, with a rising strike of the queue.

Then there is the plays of the sword in armour, all of which can be done with the axe. Since the sword's hilt is the axe head and the point is the heel-spike (as Fiore has shown us earlier in the manuscript), we know which plays correspond to which parts of the axe. So, looking at these plays, here is what we have:

1. a displacement with the queue and thrust to the face with the heel spike
2. from the same, a collar throw with the queue
3. an elbow push, done with the hand or the queue, to turn the opponent.
4. an elbow lock from the same bind (in the axe section, shown from a low bind)
5. From the binding of weapons, a strike with the axe head to the face, and two follow-on actions, including the collar hook and throw from this side. (Think of it like two of the three wrestlings in German material - if the throw with the heel fails, you wind around in the bind and throw him from the other side.)
6. a feint and stop-thrust to the face with the heel-spike
7. a wrap-up and throw over your leg ("rear leg takedown")
8. Thrusting between the opponent's hands and winding over his right wrist, setting up several different options, including a wrist hook..

To which are added the aforementioned axe-plays, which include:

1. a throw, made using a face press, and the axe haft slipped between the opponent's legs to lever him over.
2. a counter-hook to pull the opponent's axe to the ground, followed by stepping on the weapon as you attack.
3. the axe variations of the elbow lock and the visor lift -as necessarily adapted from a low bind and a heavier weapon.
4. a two-handed disarm of the opponent's axe, followed by striking him with the same.
5. an unarmed counter to the same, or follow-up action, throwing the opponent to the ground, if he reaches for your knee to unbalance you.

That's a fair bit of axe material - certainly as much as in Kal, Faulkner or most of the Talhoffers. You have general advice on guards, attacks, parries and feints, 15 plays and counters, several with variations, that use both ends of the weapon, play into and from the bind, deal with what to do if the axe goes to the ground, and give a scenario or two for what to do if he disarms *you*.

The only core technique that I don't see a direct reference to in Fiore is using the beak to hook the knee. But it is mentioned against the neck in half-swording (with the cross), and it done as an unarmed grab in the poleaxe material, as well as done with leverage with the haft, so it is not a big extrapolation.

Finally, I should point out that it is not extrapolation by Fioreists to apply the sword and spear plays to the axe - Fiore tells us to do so.

In any case, certainly between Fiore, Monte and the Anonymous there is more than enough material for a complete axe curriculum - certainly as large as is found in German sources.

As to Le Jeu, well it is not my research, so I can't say too much on it, but I should point out that are best evidence suggests that the author was Milanese....

Ciao!

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com

Last edited by Greg Mele on Tue 18 Aug, 2009 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian McIlmoyle wrote:

There is no such thing as "axe fighting" just as "sword fighting" is also a misnomer .. There is only fighting.. and it may be done with an axe.. or a sword...or a beer stein if necessary.

Amen!

As to what simulator to use. For training I like the Purpleheart polehammers that use the rubber hammer heads. For sparring, the older-style "Rathbone" axe heads made by Windrose Armoury are a bit more "humane".

I have to agree with Christian - having used rattan and hardwood axe shafts extensively, the latter absorb impact because they flex, but they also distort technique. I have had zero problems with proper, ash or hickory shafts breaking, and feel that they behave notably better. Note that the blow will also land harder.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > practice pollaxe/beck de corbin
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: