Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norwegian mace head, 13th/14th c (with an attitude) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:

The other unexpected thing were the spikes; for me I would expect the anthropromorphic theme to run from the face through the rest of the piece and was not expecting it to be geometric at all.

The spikes are just part of the Bart Simpson theme!

Or, more seriously, decorative (or should that be "decorative"?) and effective, no compromises needed.

Without the spikes, it might not be officially a mace here in Australia, and thus not be a restricted weapon. Customs says "Maces or similar articles: (a) capable of causing injury; and (b) consisting of a club or staff fitted with a flanged or spiked head", but the State says "a mace or any similar article".
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 28 Aug, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My guess is that the wax model that became Mr Ugly was intended to be a regular, symetric mace head, but that the maker simply decided to "do something Fun" instead of giving it a smooth finish.
I can imagine an aprentice or somesuch having a go at a spiked mace, like other example, and, after cursing at not getting the ribbons and spikes symetrical, making a face instead.
Master:"You spent bronze casting THAT!?!"
Aprentice: "But I sold three allready..."

Another point (or lack thereoff) worth noting is that the spikes on Mr Ugly are quite rounded, unlike the ones on Spike. After trying them in hand, my guess is that Spike is made to be a weapon of war, while Mr Ugly could serve as a "walking stick" kind of mace, where sharp spikes would be unpractical, and hitting people without killing them could be a pluss.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Sep, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Elling Polden wrote.
My guess is that the wax model that became Mr Ugly was intended to be a regular, symetric mace head, but that the maker simply decided to "do something Fun" instead of giving it a smooth finish.

I think I read somewhere there are a few of these, so I figure it must have been a running joke/style if this is the case.

Quote:
Elling Polden wrote
Another point (or lack thereoff) worth noting is that the spikes on Mr Ugly are quite rounded, unlike the ones on Spike. After trying them in hand, my guess is that Spike is made to be a weapon of war, while Mr Ugly could serve as a "walking stick" kind of mace, where sharp spikes would be unpractical, and hitting people without killing them could be a pluss.

As a bronze object it won't really be armour piercing and these really are about mass impact and the spikes/studs are
really just about added mess at the receiving end, but to be hit by either would be devastating. I think they just reflect the taste of the user or maker.

Thanks again for getting the info on this.

Regards

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Norwegian mace head, 13th/14th c (with an attitude)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: