Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Are you in the market for a Spear? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 02 Apr, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Might have this spear made as a full custom project or as part of this run: Mostly what I want is a lot bigger and more difficult to make so it would be too much for the $175 price that Michael has suggested ( asked ) at this point.

Oh, if people like the design I don't mind at all if they order one for themselves exactly like it or based on my design which is based on one I have in one of my reference books: If it generates more orders for Michael I would be pleased and happy if other people like my spear enough to want one like it rather than have an exclusive custom spear.

At the very least I'm on the " first dibs " list if I don't go full custom. ( We are in discussions about this at the moment i.e. custom or part of this run: It depends a lot on cost versus size/complexity don't fit in with what Michael is planning ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just bumping this one up as I wonder how much interest it has generated apart from my custom project which is official now.

I also think that hard to find polearms done in a quality way as well as axes would work well for this king of offerings.

I also think that this Topic should get a bump as people may already have forgotten about it and I think it is a great idea Big Grin Cool

Joel Minturn

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would be interested in this as well. It looked really good and solid. Looks like something I would want to have when going off to battle, or at least out on a hunt.

Jean,
I might have to follow your lead and order one of those early partizans. It looked pretty cool. Not a big fan of partizans in general but that one in particular looked good.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 29 Apr, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Minturn wrote:
I would be interested in this as well. It looked really good and solid. Looks like something I would want to have when going off to battle, or at least out on a hunt.

Jean,
I might have to follow your lead and order one of those early partizans. It looked pretty cool. Not a big fan of partizans in general but that one in particular looked good.

Well if you go full custom on spear do some research and look for a design you really like or one you always wished someone would make and have it made.

If you are serious you should P.M. Michael and discuss options and what you can afford: A project can be scaled up or down according to budget and Michael gave me a few options to choose from before we agreed on a ballpark price.

When this project gets started there should be more information forthcoming so that people can share the fun of seeing being made. Wink ( At least that's the plan ).

Everything I've seen of Michael's work so far here on "myArmoury " and the private discussions we have had about design convince me that the spear will be made exactly like I would like if I had to take it into battle.

Anyway, I'm not giving any details yet, so consider this a teaser about what I think will be a fun project.

Colt Reeves

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmm... I have some interest in a durable boar spear (Viking), but funds are limited for a while. I also can't seem to find anything online I really like (if I'm paying anything over $100 for a spearhead, it had better look good in my eyes) or is tough and durable, but yours looks good and solid. If you keep the offer open for a few months and can throw in lugs on the cheap, I may come running.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fair price suited to an evolute audience. Where I live reenactors tend to be scroungy so they would consider that lump of money fair for a sword .. but they still need to evolve as reenactors in anglo-saxon countries have made .

Here it is a fairly recent phenomenon so people still tend to invest far less
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the bump Jean, and thanks for the added interest. I currently have stock prepped for 7 spears and hope to have time to work on forging them out this weekend, and hope to get a chance to work on some tooling for the Jeans spear. I will probably play around with a few different shapes and maybe even try doing a 10inch hollow on one or two of them. I'll post some updates and progress shots as I work on them.
Andreas N.

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is my first posting at this Forum.

I’m interested in Spearheads.
What steel do you use? Some thing like C45 (German for steel with 0,45% C ) or more?

Do you know?:

Herbert Westphal:
Franken oder Sachsen?
Untersuchungen an frühmittelalterlichen Waffen
Oldenburg 2002
ISENSEE VERLAG

ISBN 3-89598-875-8
It contains several drawings of Spata, Saxes, and Flügellanzen (wing-lances?) ~450 to late 9. Century

I’m sure you know:
Manfred Sachse:
Damaszener Stahl
Düsseldorf 1993
Stahleisen

ISBN 3-514-00520-6
With exact measurement of a big Flügellanze, found in the Rhein at Düsseldorf and the holy-lance(?).

Hop you understand what I'm writing.
Confused
R D Moore

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Andreas!

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the forum. The two books you mentioned look very interesting, Westphal's "Frankish or Saxon? Investigations to early medieval weapons" looks particularly interesting to me at this time. I am looking for information on Frankish saxes and this looks helpful.

My German is not so good as it once was. Does Sachse's book look into pattern welding or damascus steels?

Thanks for your post, and once again, welcome.

Ron Moore

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
R D Moore

PostPosted: Fri 08 May, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to add that Michael will put you on a sort of 1st come list if you send him a PM. And his work is just going to get more expensive!!
"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
Andreas N.

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Hello Andreas!

Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the forum. The two books you mentioned look very interesting, Westphal's "Frankish or Saxon? Investigations to early medieval weapons" looks particularly interesting to me at this time. I am looking for information on Frankish saxes and this looks helpful.

[...] Does Sachse's book look into pattern welding or damascus steels?

[...]

Ron Moore

Thank you for the welcome.
What you are exact looking fore?
I can look it up and can, maybe, send you a picture of de book page.

pattern welding or damascus steels?
That is an old question

In Germany nearly all agree that Damast (Steel with some kind of patterns (in the old Books)) means every time the English “pattern welding” because it was well known and the first possibility to make patterns. If you distinguish between pattern welding and damascus steels you think of Wootz or may be Bulat?
In old (German) books I found it only named Damast if, in general, patterned Steel was thought of. In other Situations, the decided between Indian Steel and (normal) Damask steel. In early books the don’t decided it, at that time the do not know, how the pattern was made (of the Indian Steel) .

In Sachses book you can see both.
It has great pictures, if you want to make Damask, you should look in other books.

Please help with the language, if there is a problem to understand. I have to look up some words and have problems with the correct time.
R D Moore

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Damast or pattern welded. Agreed, when I think of Damascus I see Wootz or Bulat. We use Damascus here in the USA to refer to pattern welded blades in most circles that I am associated with. I'll send you a PM through this forum a bit later when I can get some pictures scanned.

We are sure off topic here, perhaps a moderator would prefer we continue under Historical Arms.

Prost, Andreas!

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

Feedback score: 100%
(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
We are sure off topic here, perhaps a moderator would prefer we continue under Historical Arms.

Yes. Happy This forum is for makers to announce products, info, sales, and market feedback. We have other forums better suited for the other stuff being discussed more recently in this thread.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Andreas N.

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there any tread about translation problems?
I can’t see a translation for pattern-welded in German.
The old “Wurmbund” means Steel with twisted pattern, most with welded on Edges.
Modern “Verbundstahl” is in use for industrial made Steel, like that for the Japanese laminated non stain kitchen knives. And also in use for general use, like Damast in the old books.
And so on.
Worried
R D Moore

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

PM sent.
Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 May, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone who has shown interest and has been talking about these spears. I'm attaching a "teaser" picture for you to take a look at. I left my camera at a friend's house last weekend so I can't get any more shots until Thursday or next weekend, but I think this shot will give you an idea of what I have been working on. Several of these are spoken for so if you are interested send me a PM. I will post better pics when I get a chance.

Michael

Attachment: 147.28 KB
100_3290.JPG

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pikula wrote:
Thanks for the bump Jean, and thanks for the added interest. I currently have stock prepped for 7 spears and hope to have time to work on forging them out this weekend, and hope to get a chance to work on some tooling for the Jeans spear. I will probably play around with a few different shapes and maybe even try doing a 10inch hollow on one or two of them. I'll post some updates and progress shots as I work on them.

Just another BUMP and I'm curious if there are still some spear points left from the original batch or if you have some new ones in stock ?

Oh, some more pics might be nice if available.

Since I think these are so " COOL " I wanted to re-bump this thread as forged steel spear heads at reasonable prices and high quality are hard to find and your work will only become more expensive in the future as your reputation gets more widely known and the economy eventually gets out of the dumps !

Note to all: I would be very tempted to get one of these if I didn't already have a custom one in production by Michael. Big Grin

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the Bump Jean!

I have to admit that I have been slacking off on getting pictures up. When dealing with digital media on my failing computer and dial up internet I often have urges to test my steel on the PC.

But, without further delay, here are the pics. and stats.

All the sockets are around 1inch inside and they are $175 EACH

1) Length overall: 14 1/4"
Blade length: 8"
Weight: 1lb. 9oz.

2) Length overall: 14 3/4"
Blade length: 9"
Weight: 1lb. 5oz.

3) Length overall: 13 3/4"
Blade length: 9"
Weight: 1lb. 5oz.

4) Length overall: 15 1/4"
Blade length: 9 3/4"
Weight:1lb. 7oz.

Blade length is measured by length of sharp edge as a referance point for the two that have rounded shoulders.

If you purchase a spear head you have one week to return it for a full refund minus shipping one way.

If the spear head is damaged under normal/period use, it will be replaced or fixed free of charge minus shipping one way.

Attachment: 48.88 KB
spear1.jpg

Attachment: 53.1 KB
spear2.jpg

Attachment: 53.79 KB
spear3.jpg

Attachment: 49.07 KB
spear4.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jul, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Michael for the update and I just P.M. my request to buy # 4 ( for sure ) and maybe a second one.

Just letting everyone know that the availables are going to be fewer as soon as I get confirmation about the purchase and it's a done deal.

Oh, love the shipping/presentation boxes and it makes buying a spear head very appealing even if one doesn't decide to mount it on a haft.

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jul, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Jean,

All spear are sold.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Are you in the market for a Spear?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: