Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Use of Two Sword Fighting Style by the Roman Army? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Which book and which passage of Thucydides? I'd certainly be interested to check.

Anyway, while we're still on the topic, there was a Roman gladiator type known as the dimachaeri (probably from Greek dimakhairoi) that fought with a pair of swords. Like so many other gladiators, though, this type's panoply seems to have been specialized gladiatorial stuff and I've never read of it being used outside the arena, much less in a massed battlefield.
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette-It's "The Peloponesian War" by Theusidydes son of Olerus, his Incomplere book of history of the war.(he diled while writimg the final chapters). The reference is in section 8 the incomplete one.
Ja68ms
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Section 8 by whose numbering? I've seen several different section numbering systems in the various transcriptions and translations of Thucydides I've read, and it'd help greatly to know which system is being referred to in this case because it's obviously not the same as the one used in the translation sitting on my bookshelf...
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:

Anyway, while we're still on the topic, there was a Roman gladiator type known as the dimachaeri (probably from Greek dimakhairoi) that fought with a pair of swords. Like so many other gladiators, though, this type's panoply seems to have been specialized gladiatorial stuff and I've never read of it being used outside the arena, much less in a massed battlefield.

That is excellent info. I will try to follow up on this lead. I know from my knowledge of Greek that the term "dimachaeri" can only mean "two-sword". "Di" meaning two and "macheri" meaning warswords.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Jo Thomas

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:

That is excellent info. I will try to follow up on this lead. I know from my knowledge of Greek that the term "dimachaeri" can only mean "two-sword". "Di" meaning two and "macheri" meaning warswords.

Hi all,

I stopped lurking long enough to look the dimarhaeri up on google and found this page:
http://www.roman-colosseum.info/gladiators/dimachaerus.htm
Not the most in-depth piece ever written, but it gives us an idea of what they were up to!

The use of curved blades is interesting (in my limited knowledge). It implies that cutting is more important than thrusting, so it's more of a scrapping or skirmishing technique, perhaps, than would not have been widely taught or used in the more compact formations. i.e. It looks impressive but wouldn't necessarily work in battle conditions. Mind you, I would have thought 16-18 inches long would have been about the right length for more confined spaces than the colosseum. But what do I know? I'm just making this up as I go along Big Grin

Jo

Jo Thomas
http://www.journeymouse.net/
Updated weekly
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to Michael Grant's little book, Gladiators, “Dimachaeri were, as the word indicates, two-dagger men, unhelmeted.” Other sources define those weapons as the infamous sicas, or curved daggers. Sometimes two gladiuses were used. (Forgive me for not using Latin plurals.) Certainly one would seldom see a longer sword in the Ring. All contemporary pictures I’ve seen show gladiators sporting ridiculously short blades.

Just for fun, and veering off-topic, here are some gladiatorial types taken from Grant's book and copied from a post I wrote a long time ago on Netsword -

LIGHTLY ARMORED GLADIATORS

1. The Thracian - carries a sica and a small square or round buckler called a parma. His armor - greaves on each leg, leather bands on his thighs and left arm. No helmet.

2. The Retairius - this is the guy with the trident and the net. He also has a dagger. All he has to protect himself are some leather bands on his legs and a stupid looking piece of metal on his left shoulder called a galerus.

3. The Laquearius - Much like the Retiarius, except he uses a lasso instead of a net, with a dagger or short sword instead of a trident.

4. The Hoplomachus - has a gladius and a very large shield - no armor except a greave on his left leg.

5. The Velites - This one has a spear with a retrieval thong. If he misses, he can get it back.

HEAVILY ARMED GLADIATORS: all variations on the Samnite or Secutar (chaser)

1. The Secutar - armed with gladius or lance (hasta). Armor - Large rectangular or oval shield (scutum), leather or metal greave on the left leg, and a helmet with visor and a metal crest with plumes (galea). He has a mail sleeve on his right arm.

2. The Myrmillo - same as the Secutar, but with a fish crest on his helmet.

3. The Andabates - There is conflicting information on this type. A) He is very heavily armored with a blank visor - he has to feel after you. The only way you can get him is through the joints of his armor. B) He is a mounted, mailed catraphract with a closed visor, and will have to charge around blindly after you.

MOBILE GLADIATORS

1. The Eques -Mounted on horse with a lance and round shield, with armor on his thighs.

2. The Essedarius - Has an ancient British Chariot complete with a driver. Sometines this gladiator is a woman. Arms were probably javelins or a bow.

Usually lightly armed gladiators fight heavily armed gladiators, the essedarii fight each other or beasts.
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ladayette- I am ysing the Everyman Library edition, thanslated by Rex Warner and Edited by Betty Radice, The problem comes fron the fact that section 8 is just a rough outline with a bunch of notes ant memos thst the original publisher bsck in Greece didn;t understand, as Theucydies died before he finshed it and how it goes together is anybodies guess, He only finished as far as the destruction of the Athenian army at Syracuse,amd he was in his 60's then (old for that time.) Mr Warner says alot of comentary is on what was he saying in the later sections.
Ja68ms
Bill Tsafa

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jo Thomas wrote:
Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:

Hi all,

I stopped lurking long enough to look the dimarhaeri up on google and found this page:
http://www.roman-colosseum.info/gladiators/dimachaerus.htm
Not the most in-depth piece ever written, but it gives us an idea of what they were up to!

That is a Great link. There is a lot of good info starting to surface on this subject.

No athlete/youth can fight tenaciously who has never received any blows: he must see his blood flow and hear his teeth crack... then he will be ready for battle.
Roger of Hoveden, 1174-1201
www.poconoshooting.com
www.poconogym.com
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 27 Apr, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:

3. The Andabates - There is conflicting information on this type. A) He is very heavily armored with a blank visor - he has to feel after you. The only way you can get him is through the joints of his armor. B) He is a mounted, mailed catraphract with a closed visor, and will have to charge around blindly after you. .

A is almost definitely the correct definition. B was based on a dodgy translation of the root "anda-"
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Mon 04 May, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James R.Fox wrote:
ladayette- I am ysing the Everyman Library edition, thanslated by Rex Warner and Edited by Betty Radice,

All right. Thanks for the information. The table of contents for that one should be online somewhere, so I might be able to find a way to match it to other "chaptering" systems before long. It'll certainly be interesting if different translators turn out to have different opinions on this matter.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Use of Two Sword Fighting Style by the Roman Army?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: