Go to page 1, 2  Next

Albion Valkyrja Handmade Scabbard
Hello myArmoury community,

I would like to share a recent project of mine. A custom handmade Valkyrja scabbard with wool lining, and custom tooling. The coloring features my 2-tone hand-dyed effect with some antiquing. No suspension was ordered with this one, just something simple yet complimentary.

Please feel free to comment, as always.

Cheers!

Brian

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
A beautiful scabbard for a beautiful sword.

I like the rich colour and the fabulous beast really sets if off without looking too ostentatious.

Very well done! :cool:
That's a great job. The beast on the scabbard fits very well with the ones on the hilt.

Do you have a close up photo of the chape?
Fantastic job. Looks terrific.

Is that a bronze Raymond's Quiet Press chape on the scabbard tip? If so, which one is it?

Terry
Thank you gent's. It's actually a Viking Shield chape.
Simple, complimentary, AND classy.

What was curious to me about my feelings when I had the chance to briefly
own this ( not THIS ) sword before the tradeback was how the relatively ordinary
yet impressive blade stood out against the ornate components of the hilt and
pommel. That said, I had a difficult time picturing a scabbard for said sword --
figuring it would HAVE to be a bit more ornate ... Not necessarily so, eh ?

Was this a collaboration, Sir ? or were you given the " simple yet complimentary "
commission and left to your own designs ?
Beautiful work Brian... and that sword is amazing also, I had not seen that one before. Together they are quite the pair.
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
Simple, complimentary, AND classy.

What was curious to me about my feelings when I had the chance to briefly
own this ( not THIS ) sword before the tradeback was how the relatively ordinary
yet impressive blade stood out against the ornate components of the hilt and
pommel. That said, I had a difficult time picturing a scabbard for said sword --
figuring it would HAVE to be a bit more ornate ... Not necessarily so, eh ?

Was this a collaboration, Sir ? or were you given the " simple yet complimentary "
commission and left to your own designs ?

I was given some basic guidelines and artistic design work to follow. The tooled celtic dragon was provided to me in a sketch, which I used as a design template to follow.
Beautiful work Brian, the scabbard has everything it needs and nothing it doesn't. I particularly love the color and texture in the leather finishing.
Oooo, that's gorgeous for how relatively simple it is! Very complimentary.

Well done.
Nice work Brian. It's always a pleasure to see what you've come up with as it seems to get better every time.
Is the wool lining a crushed felt type cloth?
Hi Brian,

I always wonder what the back of the scabbards look like. Is there a central seam that is sewn or perhaps glued?

Could you perhaps post a picture of the back of the scabbard as well and maybe a closeup of the chape? It looks like it really compliments the elements of the sword beastie knotwork.

Also, very impressive the way you seem to always come up with such really nice colorings on the leather. This one matches the grip perfectly, and I noticed what a great job you did on the colors of prior scabbards you posted. They always look great. Whenever I try to dye leather it always looks streaky. Yours always looks terrific often with a no glossy muted effect; really cool. I am sure dyeing the leather is an art in itself...

Terry
Terry - appears to be same chape, close up at... http://www.viking-shield.com/

Brian - well done. And Valkyrja is example of why you "really must have" swords sent to you to make scabbards :-). Besides skilled, lucky!
I don't believe I've ever seen a scabbard whose aesthetics more perfectly compliment the sword it was made for. Just beautiful; the chape and the design at the throat in particular. :)
Brian,
As usual your work is superb.
You really get the asthetic, and dont "over do" the details.
Very Nice!
Sam
viking scabbart
Outstanding work brian , ur truly a gifted leather smith :cool:
Valkyria Scabbard
Real beautiful work Brian and the color match is excellent. I've been waiting to see when you would do a scabbard for a Valkyria.
So, how much do you want for the two, I have check book in hand and waiting. Why do I think I'm going to have a long wait. :D :(
Re: Valkyria Scabbard
Nick B. wrote:
Real beautiful work Brian and the color match is excellent. I've been waiting to see when you would do a scabbard for a Valkyria.
So, how much do you want for the two, I have check book in hand and waiting. Why do I think I'm going to have a long wait. :D :(

I can't sell you the Valkyrja, but send me an email if you're serious about a custom scabbard. :)

brian@dbkcustomswords.com
Beautiful scabbard Brian, nice job ;). I love the Valkyria, came very close to buying one, but went with the Gallowglass instead. The gallowglass has not even arrived yet, and I can't justify the price of a scabbard from Albion, so when I am ready to buy one for my new sword I will keep you in mind.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: