Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions Vigil arrives...Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,

Thank you for elaborating on your point of view, and taken from that perspective then I would say the comparison has merit. However, while the Knight may be somewhat similar in feel it's really quite different to the Vigil so discussing that will only take us so far. Please forgive my momentary frustration earlier, the original is a fascinating sword and the Vigil is equally interesting as a modern equivalent and there's much to discuss there. Unfortunately it's hard to convey such things on the internet and it doesn't help when no one else has the sword in-hand. Hopefully that will change and we'll get some interesting feedback from different perspectives.
Patrick De Block

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul, you're right, I'm European, measuring in inches isn't something I daily do. It should have been 4/32 or 2/16 inches.

Patrick, I'm sorry, I don't want to monopolize this thread with writing about the Knight. But since you were the only one who has one ... I'll shut up.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 30 Mar, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick De Block wrote:
Patrick, I'm sorry, I don't want to monopolize this thread with writing about the Knight. But since you were the only one who has one ... I'll shut up.

Please don't do anything of the sort. The fault is entirely mine. Since I am the only one with the sword at this point any questions should be seen as reasonable.
Troy Z.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Apr, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey all ,

The Vigil arrived this week. It is as impressive as I imagined and as Patrick described. I took a couple of quick photos and thought I would post them. I decided to go for the "antiqued" or aged look this time and asked for a darker than normal light brown grip. It is the sharpest sword I've received from Albion to date (this one being the fifth), and is well balanced for the type, on par with my squire knight.

Best regards,
Troy Zwicker

Attachment: 35.38 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 62.43 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 67.62 KB
3.jpg

tzwicker
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 14 Apr, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice looking Troy. So far you are only the second person I have seen here who has gotten one. How long did it take to receive it from Albion if I may ask?

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Troy Z.

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

The Vigil arrived on April 8, approximately 1.5 to 2 weeks after placing the order. I expect that requesting "aging" added some time to the to the production of it, and of course I live in Nova Scotia, so crossing the border takes time as well, to get to me that is.

This really is a stunning piece. I can't really add or say anything new that Patrick Kelly hasn't said already, far better than I could. I can only reinforce his comments that it is a fascinating, interesting and beautiful sword, and it's weight and handling belie it's appearance and physical dimensions.

regards,
Troy

tzwicker
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good grief, I ordered mine at the very beginning of March and I still haven't seen it.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Abe Zettek

PostPosted: Thu 16 Apr, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I ordered one in late March, and it was done in very short order (about a week I think?)! I just finished the payment plan, and so it arrived 2 days ago. I'll try to get some pictures up here soon; mine has 'blued' cross and pommel, with a black, standard spiral cord grip. Needless to say, it is an amazing sword, and certainly has a very 'strong' and 'fast' feel, in my opinion.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Abe, I am very interested in seeing your blued hilt furnture as this is something I am contemplating if I purchase a Vigil.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Wed 22 Apr, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow...you guys are getting your swords fast. i ordered an Alectus back in Oct and it took 5 months to arrive... WTF?!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Thu 23 Apr, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marcos Cantu wrote:
wow...you guys are getting your swords fast. i ordered an Alectus back in Oct and it took 5 months to arrive... WTF?!

When I ordered my Svante I also ordered a St. Maurice as a surprise gift for a friend. The St. Maurice arrived in two weeks but it took the Svante months to arrive. Such are the vagaries of the business world. Wink
Abe Zettek

PostPosted: Wed 06 May, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi everyone, here are some pictures of my Vigil with the black grip and blued fittings. I hope this is in time to be of help to you, Paul, but if not, here it is for everyone to see. I'm very happy with the 'bluing', and feel it was a $50 well spent that adds a little extra character to this already amazing sword.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403/3507956487_c55756103e_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/3507957601_ce67977c3f_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3305/3508765904_596e940e19_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3507954325_46a01f9376_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3415/3508765456_e7b633d49b_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3585/3508766960_7a610170f8_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3607/3508767754_bfcdcaa968_b.jpg
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can finally stop re-visiting the pictures in this thread because my Vigil arrived today. Big Grin I wanted to add my first impressions since there was so much curiosity inspired by some of the comments and comparisons made in this thread.

To begin with, I should state that my Vigil is a bit off spec, being 2 lbs. 10.2 oz vs. 2lbs. 8 oz. per Albion's spec. The COG on mine is around 5", vs. the spec'd 4.33", so mine perhaps differs from the norm in handling. Add to that the fact that I have not had any notable any type X's or anything comparable in my collection to compare it to, and take my thoguhts for what you will...
Some of the comments made here about the Vigil actually reminded me of my Laird, and the Vigil which I have is something else entirely. It is a brutal cleaver of a sword. I would not say that it is heavy, and when first going from looking at it to picking it up, you might find it lighter than you had imagined, because of the massively wide blade. Once in motion, though, it feels neither light, nor exactly heavy...powerful is probably the first descriptor that comes to mind. It does not float effortlessley, it definitely requires intent to get it moving. Although it changes direction smoothly, it is not steered from the wrist, if you will. A weak person would not wield it easily. In capable hands though, used in earnest, it would be a very fearsome weapon indeed. "Cutting machine" is a pretty fair way to sum it up, in modern terms.
I won't try to quantify it beyond that since I think there should be some mystery left for those who purchase one in the future.
All in all, I rather like it (understatement). I think I'll keep it Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albions Vigil arrives...Product Review
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: