Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin Marquardo Von Randeck sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 28 Mar, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

O.K. as close as I can make out here is what is engraved on the guard:

Side 1) A.N. MCCCLXVI - - - - - - - - - DIEC. VI. IVL. ( Left side - - - - - - Right side branch of guard )

Side 2) TECMP rec MAR. - - - - - - - QVARDI. PATR. ( Left side - - - - - - Right side branch of guard )

In Cividale, Italy there is a ceremony called the Mass of the Spadone, that, in part commemorates the investiture of Marquardo von Randeck as Patriarch. The citizens presented him with the original of the Del Tin sword - July 6th 1366

http://www.epifaniainfriuli.com/cividale/index_civ_uk.htm

http://www.epifaniainfriuli.com/cividale/messa_uk.htm

MCCCLXVI is 1366. Could DIEC. VI IVL possibly stand for July 6th?

TECMP rec MAR---QVARDI. PATR. - Part of that is surely Marquardo the Patriarch. I've no idea what TECMP means.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
Maybe this wasn't true before the price bump, but at $560.00, the DT5146 is the most expensive of the 56 Del Tins at KOA, even more than the schiavona. I wonder why? The writing on the guard may be part of it, but what else?

The blade cross-section, pommel shape and decoration, guard shape and decoration, wire wrap, etc. It looks pretty complex to me.

Talking of the wire wrap: It feels real secure and it also is flattened, does this mean it was ground down a little after being secured or was it hammered flat ? My bet is that is may be mostly hammered flat and then lightly buffed to remove marks or sharp corners. The effect is to make the wire look like fish scales and maybe displacement of the wire lock the wire even more, a bit like a form of surface peening ?

In any case it's attractive and feels good in hand halfway smooth but still grippy enough to help in keeping a firm grip.

Oh, another detail: The guard is well filed in such a way that the shoulders of the blade are below the surface of the front of the guard so that there isn't a gap ( visible light ) to be seen if one looks at the sword/guard juncture.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean!

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
My holding point on the grip for the wiggle waggle test was on the handle almost but not on the guard itself, so I would say that your calculations are based on a point maybe 1/2 " away from where it held it ...... I don't think this should make a great deal of difference.

Nope, not a great deal... It brings the point mass right at the cross, and adds roughly 30g to the stick part.

Quote:
My impressions are that the RavenWolf rotates in the hand a bit faster than the Del Tin if one just moves the wrist up and down but this is well compensated by the fact that the Del Tin is lighter.

Yes, this quicker rotation could be an effect of the 'snap' I have described. It can be evidenced if you just measure the pivot point associated to the pommel. You should find that it is further down the blade on your Del Tin than on your RavenWolf.

Quote:
The RavenWolf might have more potential power in a thrust but the foible is more flexible than the Del Tin so that even with less energy the Del Tin would penetrate better as it's very " pointy "

True that, of course you need more than mass and energy to make an efficient thrust...

Quote:
Overall your description of handling based on your formula seems very close to my perceived impressions: If you could handle both swords yourself you might find some minor things that might surprise you but only in refining your impressions based on your calculations, but I think it would mostly confirm that you are on to something that is at least 90% predictive of handling character based on just the numbers.

Well, that's about the best I can hope for Happy I have a work deadline coming up soon but after that I'll be trying to put together an interactive webpage that would do the useful computations, so that more people can play with their numbers... I'll keep you all posted, of course.

Thanks again for your help! My understanding would likely be much lower without the data you brought forth...

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 29 Mar, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, I'm glad that you like the sword, that it's not difficult to handle or anything that would ruin the feel of it. Congratulations on taking one before the price got higher. Happy

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin Marquardo Von Randeck sword.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: