Hilt Overall Length: 11 inches
Length of Handle: 8-5/8 inches
Guard Type: 1, curved
Pommel Type: H1
Center of Gravity: 3-1/2 inches from guard
Location of Blade Node (measured from Guard): 20 inches
Primary Hilt Node: approx. 1/2 inch from cross on handle
Weight: 3lbs 4 oz
Sword in the style of Longswords of the second half of the 14th C. The blade is Marquenched 5160 spring steel and is differential tempered in three zones- the first of which is the tang, shoulder and spine of the blade which is drawn back to HRc45-48. The edges from within 1 inch of the base of the blade to within 8 inches of the point are at HRc58-60. Lastly the 8 inches closest to the tip are drawn to approx HRc50-52. The first 21 inches of the blade (measured from the base) are of hexagonal cross-section. The hexagonal section of the blade has no significant distal taper. The remainder of the blade from there to the point is of diamond section and has a convex distal taper to the point.
The hilt furniture s of mild steel- the pommel is keyed to the rectangular section of the tang. The handle is sandwiched hardwood wrapped in laquered linen cord. The tang is 3/4 inch broad at the base and tapers to approx. 1/2 inch wide where it enters the pommel. The hilt may be dismounted using a 5mm Allen wrench.

Oakeshott found these sword 'unhandsome' and 'rather boring' but I've always had a bit of fascination for them. To me they seem severe and business-like- a soldiers sword, and not pretending to be anything else. Dating from the latter half of the 14th century it is reasonable to suppose that these swords came about as a response to the increasing prevalence of plate armor; they are a very rigid sword with a very dagger-like point for getting between the plates to defeat the mail underneath. They seem very well suited to the sorts of armored combat techniques shown in 'Flos Duellatorum" and other period fighting manuals. Indeed, though this is a rather heavy sword it flows through longsword passes beautifully.

Comments welcome!
I think I'll agree with Oakeshott here, but your handiwork is always impressive. How much does stuff like this normally go for, anyways?

M.
M. Eversberg II wrote:
I think I'll agree with Oakeshott here...

M.

These swords definitely aren't everyone's thing but that's OK. I usually only make a type XVII once every couple of years but I like to hit all the Oakeshott Types at least once in a while. Except XXIs and XXIIs- they scare me! :eek:
Here is one Tinker made for me based off the specs I sent to him back in 2005 and yes this is my favorite custom sword! I don't know what it is about this Type that I love so much, except for part of it being you just don't see them around...mine handles just like a dream sword should but then again I'm extremely biased towards this sword and this Type but yes it does handle great and no it is not for everyone as Gus said to me when I tried to get him to make me one many years ago "you want a sharpened crowbar?" Tinker nailed this one as he does on all of his swords, very rare do I come and make these types of posts but on this one I had to type out...Whoever the customer is who wanted this sword made...Great choice and I have no doubt your going to love it! Well done Tinker and congrats on the fine beauty I see!

[ Linked Image ]
Thanks Ben! I actually didn't make this one for a customer- just fancied doing it. Partly because you don't see them around- and partly because I wanted photos of one for my book!
Ben Sweet wrote:
Here is one Tinker made for me based off the specs I sent to him back in 2005 and yes this is my favorite custom sword! I don't know what it is about this Type that I love so much, except for part of it being you just don't see them around...mine handles just like a dream sword should but then again I'm extremely biased towards this sword and this Type but yes it does handle great and no it is not for everyone as Gus said to me when I tried to get him to make me one many years ago "you want a sharpened crowbar?" Tinker nailed this one as he does on all of his swords, very rare do I come and make these types of posts but on this one I had to type out...Whoever the customer is who wanted this sword made...Great choice and I have no doubt your going to love it! Well done Tinker and congrats on the fine beauty I see!

Now that one is damn cool...love the scent stopper (?) pommel!

M.
I'd love to see this one retail for about $350... with a matching blunt... Who's with me?

Great work, as always, Master Pearce!

-Eric

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: