Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sneak Preview - The Vigil Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Funny thing is, and this might be a surprise given what reproductions I own, but the Witham sword is one of my favorite antiques out there. I was lucky to see it at the British Museum a few years back and even in the case, the characteristics come out. It's beautifully proportioned.

Here are photos I took while visiting the British Museum:

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric McHugh with the original.

This gives you a good sense of the swords scale.

I was green with envy when Eric sent me this photo several years ago. To have the opportunity to do a hands-on examination of what was a favorite for both of us must have been a real thrill. I'll speak for Eric here for just a bit and I hope I'm not giving away any secrets. Big Grin

When Peter and Eric made that particular research trip it was blind luck they happened to show up when this sword was out for a routine cleaning. To anyones knowledge they are the only modern sword makers to have the opportunity to do a detailed hands-on evaluation of this sword. Others, like the smiths I've commisioned for this sword in the past, have had to look at it through a pane of glass. Consequently, if this is a favorite like it is for me, this is the best opportunity one is likely to get to obtain an example as close as possible to the original.

I've been dealing with this stuff for a long time and anymore it takes a lot to get me excited. This one excites me.
Vincent Le Chevalier

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
It is always tricky to describe handling, heft and performance over the internet. Whatever I write will be understood from the perspective of the one reading.

Some limited number crunching with pivot points can go a long way towards a more objective description of mass distributions... That's exactly why I've been studying them Happy

Sorry for the relatively off-topic remark, couldn't resist Wink

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a lovely sword and I am glad to see someone doing justice to this original. Even though it isn't supposed to be an exact copy, the lineage shows clearly.
It is exciting to see that new designs are still in the works at Albion but I can't help but wonder how/why a model that has just been announced will be in production in only a few months when there are models that have been availible for reservation for a few years and are still not being produced?
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is tempting to me as well, gentlefolk. I've been in a holding pattern with regards
to ordering a blade from Albion, and I have that similar " gut feeling " I had when I saw
The Baron and The Duke for the first time in their drawing stage ...

It would be interesting to see a picture of the sword its based on ...

( Too bad Albion doesn't do sabers ... hehe )

Editting note : Ask and ye shall receive ! Thanks for posting some pics ... B-)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if Albion will offer an alternative version of this sword with the text on the blade?
Stephan Johansson

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting sword.
I think that a sword like this really is outside the typical Oakeshott description system

Best regards
Stephan

Best Regards
Stephan Johansson

IN NOMINE DOMINI

Last edited by Stephan Johansson on Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I really like about this sword and the Oakeshott is the fact that they are very close to signficant swords. As Peter has pointed out for various reasons there are some minor diffeences that exclude them from being Museum Line, but for all intents and purposes the handling is the same as the respective original swords, which for me is the most important aspect of the swords design.

Peters post also makes me realise that the more I think I am learning about swords, the more I need to learn and for every question that gets answered, several new questions are usually raised.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albion Oakeshott has been mentioned a couple of times on this thread. I have one, and I have to say that it is as fine a sword as man could conceive. If the Vigil is even close to its quality, then it will indeed be a great sword.
David Sutton

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An excellent choice for Albion to recreate, I'm going to look forward to seeing the prototype of this sword.
'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I wonder if Albion will offer an alternative version of this sword with the text on the blade?

The text on the original is inlaid in metal, not just engraved or etched. So even if they engraved the text, it would still be missing something for me. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

The text on the original is inlaid in metal, not just engraved or etched. So even if they engraved the text, it would still be missing something for me. Happy

Agreed. If it can't be inlayed I'd rather have it like this, and I placed my order. Big Grin
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow I cant wait to see the finnished product. I've always been a fan of double fullered blades and this is my favourate example.
Éirinn go Brách
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can they inlay metal without forging?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

Yep, the original inlay is probably copper alloy (Oakeshott also suspected gold) which would be inlayed after heat treat and is secured by undercutting, in contrast to iron inlay which is done before and is welded into the blade.
I hope this helps,
Dan

P.S. Also, a tremendous round of applause to Peter and the Albion crew. The original has been my favorite Medieval original since I first stumbled accross Oakeshott's SAOC in middle school. I'm definitely getting this one Happy
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

I do believe that brass, silver, and copper can be cold inlayed into steel. Iron or steel is a different matter. I believe the sword that the vigil is based on is inlayed in latten or brass (well latten is very similar to brass).

If one could find a smith willing to do this for the vifil I think it would be really cool.

Jeremy

Oh sorry I just noticed that Dan covered this. Happy
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good picture of the full inscription? The first one Nathan posted has a bit of a glare obscuring the end (otherwise a great photo though Wink )

EDIT: D'oh, never mind...I somehow missed the zoom-in picture that Nathan also posted....

www.addisondelisle.com

Last edited by Addison C. de Lisle on Wed 04 Mar, 2009 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't want to say too much because I do not speak for Howy, Peter or Albion. I want to be very respectful of that relationship because we are all very close friends. With that said, it is hard to not comment about this sword.

First, this is not an exact repro of the mentioned sword. The British Museum claims the rights to the mentioned sword, so obviously this is not an exact repro of the mentioned sword.

With that understanding, I need to say that this sword is sublime! To me it is the quintessential "knightly" sword. It shows a high level of craftsmenship. In addition, the maker had a keen understanding of sword balance as well as a good understanding of edge geometry. The maker managed to combine several elements that are not often seen in similar swords. At approx. 2.6 pounds (1.18 kilos), this sword is light for its size; but the maker did not allow the reduced weight to compromise the swords cutting ability. When you examine the blade, it is clear that the maker gave this agile blade a brutal, complex cutting edge. The balance of the sword is another indication of the makers expertise. This sword is very responsive. As Peter mentioned, it would be excellent for sword and buckler. But make no mistake about it, this sword would be just as well suited as the weapon of a knight on horse back...perhaps at the Battle of Lincoln. Who knows?

In short, if you are drawn to the "knightly" sword, this is the sword to get. Peter has done a outstanding job of translating the essential elements of this sword. Sword lovers will not be disappointed.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What Peter and Eric have said given their respective knowledge and the opportunity to handle the sword this is based on makes me look at swords like this with less emphasis on their typology and stats. I know that the typology is a very important modern research tool and helps us define swords for the purposes of study and helping us understand what they were made for and why, but this is one of those swords that seems to blow all attempts at definition out of the water and to try and encompass it within a certain type seems doomed to failure. For example one of the things I thought I knew about the difference between type X or Xa and type XII was that the later represented a big leap forward in sword technology with regards to thrusting ability and responsiveness, yet we have two examples (and many more that I am not aware of) being Xa.1 and the River Witham sword that the Vigil is based on, that are apparantley earlier swords, but show distinct characteristics that do not fit neatly into the broad descriptions given for their respective typologies, and that are also as responsive if not more so than maybe a typical XII. All I know is that the Vigil is another on my must have list.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Stephan Johansson

PostPosted: Wed 04 Mar, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll add these old pictures from another thread as a little taster for you who haven't seen them:

Attachment: 27.51 KB
vigil-1.jpg

Attachment: 78.8 KB
vigil-3.jpg

Attachment: 89.39 KB
vigil-2.jpg

Best Regards
Stephan Johansson

IN NOMINE DOMINI

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sneak Preview - The Vigil
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours