Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > belt for mortuary hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Keith H.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: belt for mortuary hilt         Reply with quote

A question to those who know.
I am familiar with the rapier belts and baldrics of different kinds for rapiers. BUT, how were mortuary hilts hung from ones side? What was the style, and decoration?
I plan to make my own, for a Hanwei Cromwell I have, but I need some input on what to go for in style and decoration, and fittings.
I can't remember ever seeing an original piece anywhere in photo's, which is odd, compared to how many must have been in use.
Any help would be appreciated.
Keith H.

p.s.-I plan to wear it half of the time, over a full 3/4 cuirassier harness,---were there any issues which should be taken note of, historically speaking, concerning the "way" in which it was worn? Both plain clothed, and armoured?
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Mortuary hilt carrier         Reply with quote

Keith, if you have a copy of Neuman's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution, there is a page showing various drawings of sword suspension systems used in the late 17th to mid 18th centuries. Page 57, if I'm correct. This may give you inspiration for something. I would think a baldric with buckle type frog, maybe two or three straps would be period.
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Keith H.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mortuary hilt carrier         Reply with quote

Christopher Gregg wrote:
Keith, if you have a copy of Neuman's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution, there is a page showing various drawings of sword suspension systems used in the late 17th to mid 18th centuries. Page 57, if I'm correct. This may give you inspiration for something. I would think a baldric with buckle type frog, maybe two or three straps would be period.

Thank's.
Sadly, I do not have that book. However, your mention of a baldric seems very appropriate for the time period of the English Civil War. I will continue looking for photo's of examples, and configurations, etc.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another great reference book is David Blackmore's "Arms and Armour of the English Civil Wars".

here's a pic of a original typical ECW baldric....most did not have a buckle but were simply sewn, as you can
see from this example. Since mortuary's were mainly used during wartime, not much effort went into decoration. Maybe someone of status could have had a fancier one, but one would have seen that with those carrying rapiers or side-swords.

cheers,

Bill

Attachment: 25.35 KB
baldric.jpg

Attachment: 122.05 KB
carbine.jpg

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Keith H.

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, that has got to be the very definition of "simple".
Thank's for those photo's.
That clears it all up for me.
I'm sure someone of Cromwell's status would have something more ornate, and, of course, the royalist cavalry were known for tasty things.
It always made me wonder why Cromwell, who hated anything fancy due to his religion, would own a sword like that, and the other one said to belong to him.
I'm a Royalist by heart, and ancestry (the Heath's of Heath castle), so I'm going to at least have a few nice buckles and fittings on mine.
The above is my reason for interest in the English civil wars, because it was the supposed reason our family left for America.
I'm trying to build a complete collection of goodies of this time period for display.
This gives me a lot to work with, and I appreciate the replies.
Thank you.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most welcome....always happy to assist....especially when the topic deals with mortuary hilts,Cromwell and the ECW.

cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > belt for mortuary hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic