Rivetting tips
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me ... I'm in the proces of rivetting spiderleather in the inside of my sallet.
I only have basic tools.

How do you guys prevent the round shape of the rivets being squashed when you hammer them. I have a few rivets I had to file flat so they wouldn't hinder my visor. These I can rivet perfect because I can use a little anvil.

But the unmodified round rivets keep getting damaged. I tried hard wood, so they can sink in it. It works a little but the
wood is to soft.

Any ideas.

Best Regards
Krist
Hello Krist,

Some people have a stake with the dimple for the rivet that mounts in the hole of their anvil.

I have 2 dimples in my small armouring anvil for the two most common sizes I use with my simple projects.

If you don't want to try to drill & shape dimples in your anvil face... you can reshape the misshaped rivets with
your ball peen hammer for that hand made look.

That's what I did before I had the dimples it my anvil.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

David
Thanks David

I tried drilling a dimple in a piece of metal, but its more coneshaped, not a half ball.
Maybe its better to use another maybe more round drillbit

Thanks for the advice :)
A stake with a dimple works. I use a small piece of Aluminium (I don't even have a stake or an anvil). I made a dimple in the aluminium by squeezing a ball bearing into it in a bench vice, but that turned out to be unnecessary, as my iron rivets are harder than the aluminium.
Another great Idea,

I'll give it a try as well.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: