Albion Poitiers Custom Scabbard & Metalwork
Hello myArmoury community!

I'd like to present to everyone a very special project put together by Edward Thyberg, who designed the whole project. Sam Haverkamp did the metalwork, and I of course did the scabbard.

The idea was approached to me from Edward, who then commissioned Sam for the metalwork. It had to be historically accurate for the last quarter of the 14th century as far as construction and design. It was also requested that an 'aged' or 'antiqued' process was applied to the leather.

Quoted:
"Our resident expert went over, in some detail, what is known regarding scabbard design for the last quarter of the 14th century. Evidently, when it comes to suspensions, our period was in transition. The wrapped and tied belt configurations ended the previous century. The few examples we get from effigies dated in our period show the sword hanging straight down from the hip, attached to a military girdle (plaque belt usually) by a mostly hidden hook, strap, buckle, or small rings attached to a metal locket/throat. The scabbard would be most often covered in leather, with a seam up the middle of the back side. The seam could be sewn or just glued to the wood core. There are no known examples of the core being lined but it is possible they used a wool lining. The leather covering might have been decorated with tooled/scored lines and possibly stamped motifs and/or metal mounts (similar to belts). The terminal chape could be cast but more often formed from sheet metal. A finial sphere or other shape would be at the tip. Both the locket and chape may have been decorated simply or elaborately with wire beading, engraving, open work, etc. based on the owner's desires and ability to pay."

The first pitcure is what I completed before sending it off to Sam for the beautiful metalwork.
[ Linked Image ]

Here is what the completed project looks like.
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
That is absolutely beautiful!

Are those pieces copper? I love seeing different metal types mixed. Any pics as to how it will hang once on the belt?
Justin,
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, its Bronzed Copper. There are 3 or 4 different height levels in the details, so it was especially challenging.
Ed is such a fantastic artist, he made it easy for me to follow his vision with detailed drawings.
Ed may want to chime in on how he will hang it, its his baby.
Cheers
Sam
My goodness! That is just lovely! That may be the prettiest scabbard I've ever seen. Well done to all involved!
Sam Haverkamp wrote:
.. its Bronzed Copper.

Obviously, all of the scabbard furniture is gorgeous as the sort of work you consistently produce is! (Compliments to the artist on his design as well.)
I am curious as to what bronzed copper is, and how you produce it? On my browser the photographs look silver/ tinned or stainless in tone... I would not have guessed it to be a copper alloy. Also, I had wondered if the black background was done with something similar to niello (lead sulphide compounds heated to amalgum and bonding point?)
Very nice. I love the detail work, particularly on the chape.
vry kool
outstanding craftmenship thx so much for shareing
cheers :cool:
Lovely looking collaboration.
I like it. :) Late 14th century/early 15th century scabbards often involved this style of metalwork and it's nice to see people producing it.
Such nice 3 dimensionallity to the sculpture and the simple lines of the scabbard complement each other as well of the sword perfectly. :cool:
I'm rather fond of bronze and copper, so it's doubly beautiful.

What is the significance of the letter "W" on that throat, though?

M.
Now here is a shape I really like. My own Crecy scabbard project is pending since I can't find a suitable shape yet.
It's really a shame you can't find "generic" affordable steel or cast shapes on the market!

J
Sam & Brian,

You two make an awesome team. It looks to me that what you could produce as a team is only limited by your imaginations.

I cant wait to see the next joint project.

Allen
M. Eversberg II wrote:
What is the significance of the letter "W" on that throat, though?

M.

It's the last name initial for Ed's La Belle Compagnie living history persona , Edward Walderne.
Like the rest of you, I've only seen the pictures. The scabbard (with sword) have been shipped and I should have it next week. I think it's safe to say that both Brian and Sam have done their usual excellent job. I talked to Sam about a simpler locket design but he insisted that it be "challenging", so challenging I made it. I hope I haven't ruined it for others, but after doing this job I think Sam will need to triple his prices to cover his time and effort. Brian's commission was more straight forward so no surprises there.

I can't document similar metalwork that treats an initial letter (in this case W) with the same scrolls, flowers, etc as seen in period manuscripts. I have seen letters used as design motifs in chains of office and plaque belts so I decided to do so on the locket. The shape and proportions of the chape and locket, I think, are pretty much in keeping with what I found depicted in monumental statues and brasses of the late 14th century.

As for belt/suspension questions, I plan to make a belt that can be worn at two lengths, one as a baldric for riding/hunting (Gaston Phebus inspiration) and also shortened to wear diagonally from waist to hip with long end routed behind the scabbard. http://www.themorgan.org/collections/swf/exhibOnline.asp?id=824 The offset of the mounting rings was done to encourage the sword to hang with a forward tilt against the left hip. I'll post pictures when I complete the project.

Ed Thyberg
This is fantastic looking, congratulations.
Hey thanks everyone for all the great comments :D (Thanks Chad! You made my day)
It makes the effort worthwhile.
Now as long as Ed likes it we will be in good shape!
He was a great guy to work with, I had some delays and screwed this up a couple times before it was good enough to ship, and in the midst of it got in a Car wreck and then electrocuted myself on 277V 30 amp service and lost the use of my arms for a few weeks.
So challenging, but all in all still a nice experience.
Thanks Brian for letting me work on this project with ya.
Cheers everyone
Sam
Brian and Sam,

Really nice work! Lockets don't seem to have had a huge life span, but they were just about mandatory for a while, and it is nice to see that reflected on this piece.

The only problem I see is that it reminds me that I have to finish my own Poitiers scabbard. But I guess that's my problem, not yours. :p

Again, great work! You even have the rings offset.

-Grey
Kudos to all involved in this project.

Ed for coming up with the great design for the metal work. I know I cannot wait to see it finished with the suspension/belt.

Brian for making such a nice scabbard for Sam to finish with his great metalwork.

All I know is that pictures like this sem to get me into trouble with my wife. Oh well. Such is life.

Keep up the inspiring work guys!

Scott

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: