Overall Length: 30-7/8 inches
Blade Length: 24-1/4 inches
Blade width @ Base: 1-5/8 inches
Blade Width 5-3/4 inches from point: 2-1/4 inch
Blade Thickness @ Base: .210 inch
Blade Thickness 6 inches from Point: .200 inch
Hilt Overall Length: 6-3/4 inches
Length of Handle: 4-1/8 inches
Handle Construction: Wood core, cord-wrap (linen)
Guard Type: 6 (m)
Pommel Type: J
Center of Gravity: 4-1/2 inches from guard
Location of Blade Node (measured from Guard): 16 inches
Weight: 2lbs 12 oz
This unusual sort of falchion is depicted in artwork of the 14th C. and at least one example survives at the 'Musee de la Armee' in Paris, France. The cutting edge is on the concave side opposite the fuller. The blade is differential-tempered 5160 spring steel. Hardness at the edge is approximately HRc59, hardness through the spine, tang and base of blade is approx. HRc45-48. There is vitually no distal taper for the first 18 inches from the guard. The stout point is reinforced for thrusting. The spine is left un-finished with a dark, rough appearance. The furniture is of mild steel and the guard is of a truncated triangular cross-section. The handle is sandwiched hardwood wrapped in laquered linen cord. The hilt is dismountable. The tang is 3/4 inch wide at the base with a rounded shoulder. The tang tapers to approx. 1/2 inch wide, and the final 5/8 inch of the tang is reduced in section and threaded for the pommel- nut, which is a 3/8 inch diameter 1/4-20 sleeve-nut keyed for a 5mm Allen Wrench.

This is a very handly little sword. Though not light it is compact enough that it remains quick and manueverable. It is suited to powerful chopping blows, but the point is easily controlled and quite stout. I almost made this with a peened tang- but it's likely to see heavy use so I opted for take-down construction.
This is a fascinating design that gives a heavy duty cutting profile with the bonus of having a nasty point at the end.

Are there variants of this style with slightly curved blades ? Blade top curving up and the edge side curving down a bit more ?

Also, longer bladed versions ? I do like this version and my question is more about variants you might make at some point.

( Stupid economy :( This one would be very tempting if I didn't already have commitments to other projects, but it is a type I might want eventually ).

Oh, with this blade profile it should have a very nast draw cut as well as just chopping. :eek:
Very interesting shape. I'd seen a few in period art, but never really took the time to see if anyone's made it before. Always figured it for another "chopper".

Nice work! Was this a custom order, or did you suddenly feel that a falchion was "now"?

M.
Hi Jean; unfortunately there's just not enough information to answer your question with a simple yes or no. I'm only aware of the one surviving example- the rest of the inspiration is drawn from artwork from the period. The other year I did one that was more inspired by the French example- this one is based more on period-contemporary art. There is variation between the two, and I would expect even more variation existed historically. For example one of the examples in art actually has the leading edge of the cross turned down at 90 degrees to form a knuckle-bow. Having the two edges curve slightly away from each other wouldn't be an unreasonable stretch- but it would reduce the utility of the point somewhat by taking it off-line of the hand.
M. Eversberg II wrote:
Very interesting shape. I'd seen a few in period art, but never really took the time to see if anyone's made it before. Always figured it for another "chopper".

Nice work! Was this a custom order, or did you suddenly feel that a falchion was "now"?

M.

Not a custom order; it was just time to make one because I felt like it! This is the fourth of these that I've made if you include the one that I made with a 'Messer' hilt.
I'm really fascinated by this blade shape. Hope you make a lot more of them so I can snag something similar in the future.

Regards,

Michael
No doubt I will! I have another blade blank in the shop ready to go...
Really cool stuff. :) I love that type of sword.
Michael that's great work. I remember first seeing this type of sword pop up in a thread a little while back, and I ran around the interwebs looking for a replica but was disappointed to find this very cool sword totally unrepresented. You've done a great job by the look of it; that thing is wicked. The spike alone would deter me, even in good armor.

Obviously if you built this thing wrong it would handle like a brick tied to a crowbar; was it a pretty straightforward build or did it require some tinkering to get the right balance?
Michael Pearce wrote:
M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

Not a custom order; it was just time to make one because I felt like it! This is the fourth of these that I've made if you include the one that I made with a 'Messer' hilt.

I wish I had such skill and privilege :p

The missus must be very accepting of the nose, in the least :eek:

I think a test cut is in order...though how expensive are those cutting mats in your area?

M.
Not too expensive... but it will have to wait; this one is sold already.
Michael Pearce wrote:
Not too expensive... but it will have to wait; this one is sold already.

That's a good sign that there might be a demand for this type and maybe other underrepresented types of swords.

Oh, and yes maybe too much curve in the top of the sword would put the point out of line but a very subtle curve combined with a little more curve on the edge side might be interesting to try.

The secondary point should tend to bite rather well in a target but the thickness there shouldn't be too small to avoid it being too fragile ? ( Not sure what to call the bottom point where the edge changes angle to form the main point ? It does sort of have axe like or bill hook possibilities ? ).
The leading edge point is fairly sturdy and it hits like an axe. Thunk! The COP is about 2 inches behind that point. There is some market for under-represented sword types but it's risky for makers to explore that; you could wind up with a sword sitting around unsold for a long time. When this happens once it isn't a tragedy, but if it happens regularly it can have a serious impact on a one-man cash-flow based business.
Tinker,
This is truly a great sword. I have to mirror what Jean said earlier about having other projects that are close to being done and others that I am starting to hatch as it were.

Keep up the great work!

Scott
Backwards Falchion
Just received it yesterday in perfect condition! What a beautiful little beast it is! Thanks, Mr. Pearce.
My pleasure, Eric!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: