Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > If you could only own one sword... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have two albions to my name a beat up ol agincourt that I bought new and beat the living woo hoo out of lol and an awesome pristine tritonia but I fell in love with the agincourt so if only 1 sword I'd pick my beat up agincourt =D
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G K Pfingsten wrote:
If I had to choose a custom, it would be Jake Powning's Vardhllokur - Spirit Song.

If it were a production sword, it would be the Albion Valkyrja.

If my life depended on it, well I wouldn't use a sword if my life depended on it, but if it was absolutely mandatory, it would be the Albion Mercenary.

Yes. Certainly a sword similar to Spirit Song from Jake Powning.
http://www.powning.com/jake/home/j_homepg.shtml

"No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation" ...Gen. Douglas Macarthur
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
One sword...likely a Messer of some sort. Perhaps not a true Kriegsmesser like the Knecht but something a little shorter on dimensions along the Langes Messer type. That or a well done Falcata.

It is funny how over a year one's perceptions can change. While I DO like messers I would have to say after a years worth of thought that this blade type would not sustain me as my 'ONE AND ONLY'. I'd have to say that a viking era sword could only fit the bill. This era's swords have ALWAYS drawn me back and if there is a type I usually regret selling it is any sword from that time period (800 AD - 1100AD). So I see a Geibig 3 or 4 with a nice simple type H, L, K, Y or X hilt. I think that I would be quite satisfied with such a singular sword.

"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Tom King

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One sword- custom viking from jake powning in the style of Sindin. A weapon that could be passed down from father to son for generations

Attachment: 155.79 KB
[ Download ]
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Only one?! ooh thats a chin scratcher..most likely my battered and dented viking sword. It was my dads so it has some sentimental value. A good sword though, has some happy and often painful memories haha.
Richard Reading

PostPosted: Mon 15 Feb, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I pretty much never post, but for some reason was moved to this time. If it had to be one sword I would have to choose Jody Samson's personal Seaward. Can't say exactly why he let it go several years ago or why he sold it to me, but there are only 2 in existence (Howy has the other). It is an elegant sword that has substantial presence.

Attachment: 57.71 KB
seaward-scabbard.jpg

Attachment: 115.25 KB
[ Download ]
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: If you could only own one sword...         Reply with quote

I actually like many swords except for those with quite heavy or short blades. But I think I would like to own some, like the Royal Welsh Fusiliers Bandsman's Sword from 1850. What else can I say? I rather keep it than use it as a weapon like some sword owners do.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Austin D.G. Hill

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i would probably keep my masai short sword. it is light and very durable, it can cut very well too, better than my medieval sword at least. it could also double as a work knife for survival in a pinch.
AUSTIN DANIEL GLENN HILL
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I had to choose one I'd say the Brescia Spadona. It really was a perfect sword to me in every way. I miss that sword like I'd miss a brother. Crazy I know.
Winter is coming
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I could only have one sword it would be a longsword with a 36" blade 9" handle but I would have to think over the type but probably a type XV, XVII or some type XVIII variant.

I would also have to have it custom made and probably by Michael Pikula because of the quality of handling of his swords and well as the high quality of design and heat treat.

I already own two of Michael's swords but they are one handers and if I had only one sword and had to depend on it to stay alive in a fight it would have to be a twohander because I have 10 times the training with longsword compared to the use of one handers.

Of those I already have I think I would chose one of these:

A) A&A Black Prince.
B) Tinker Type XVII
C) A&A English twohander

Would be hard to choose which: The Black Prince is the most versatile and the fastest and agile of the 3 the Tinker has differential tempering and is very robust with substantial presence but still fast. The A&A English Twohander is huge, lots of reach but maybe a bit difficult to use in tight quarters.

Come to think of it a sword is not the best option for battlefield use: I think my minimal kit would have to be three pieces, a polearm backed up by my Cinquedea 18" bladed dagger + a buckler. This would take care of long range and up close and personal.

EDITED: Just checked on the previous posts and I see I posted an answer in 2009 that is very close to this post and sort of shows that I'm still thinking the same way but the details have evolved a bit. I also answered then as now thinking in terms of having a need for the sword as if I was in period and not just as a collector deciding based on aesthetics or value more than function.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bradley Starkey

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tough decision.

If I was looking at the blades currently in my small collection, I would keep my Windlass Towton Sword. I own several very good, solid Windlass blades, but that one stands out for weight, balance, and overal "feel".

If I was looking at current production swords that I DON"T own, it would be a tough choice between an Albion Regent, or an Albion Mercenary, with the edge going to the Mercenary. (I love those wide base-sharply tapering blades.)
Ben Bouchard

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I could only have one but it could be done from the ground up I'd probably go for a replica of the attached piece as I've been in love with it ever since seeing it posted here on the boards. Or some other form of broad-bladed medium-length sword like a type XXI, XXII, or XIa

Attachment: 87.83 KB
from The Bayerisches Nat_ museum.jpg

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I could only own one sword, I'd want an antique medieval sword in excellent condition, probably an Xa or an XI with a Type A Brazil nut, but I could also see myself owning a sword with a nice disk pommel, too.
William P

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if i could have ONE sword, including any antique, id choose the sword of goujian. a famous chinese bronze sword that was found in near perfect condition due to the increadibly tight fit on the scabbard, and it was found to be perfectly sharp capable of cutting a stack of 20 pieces of paper,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Goujian
the way that chinese swords have that sudden taper halfway down the blade in the types made during the han dynasty and prior is utterly gorgeous, it has that flat slicing cross section the viking swords possess
and the mettalurgy reveals it to be made of a masterful technique, the different areas of the sword, be it the flat or the edge or the tip have strikingly different chemical properties, indicating that these bronze swords were like katanas and viking swords, they had harder edges and softer bronze on the flat section

eiher that or an absolutely elegent han period jian, these swords had viking sword lenglth blades, but long handles, making it extremely versitile.
Josh S

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:

Wow, thanks for bringing this to our attention. What a find!
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My albion crecy...no question. That sword just feel right in my hands. Second choice would be a type XIV I got to handle in my archeology lab in college...man that sword was sweet. I of course don't remember the catalogue number for it and I'm not digging my notes from college out to find it Razz .
William P

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh S wrote:
William P wrote:

Wow, thanks for bringing this to our attention. What a find!

personally id be very surprised if most of the forum hadnt heard of this one by now. its easily one of the most eminent discoveries in terms of ancient chinese military eqipment aside from the terracotta warriors themselves.

but it is indeed a amazing sword,.

though i should add a caveat.. i think that no amount of money in the world could persuade the chinese government to allow me to buy a sword like this

the only thing that rivals this sword would be the famous kusanagi no tsurugi. which means grass cutting sword

the kusanagi is arguably the most valuable sword on the planet. it is one of japans three sacred treasures, essentially the equivelent of the british crown jewels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Regalia_of_Japan
and is said , in legend to be an item used by the gods to slay a ferocious monster in other words, finding the kusanagi would be looking at the spear of odin, gunginer, or thors hammer.
and noone is allowed to see it except the priests of the temple that houses it, as well as the emporer, thus, there are no photos of the sword.

i would give a LOT of money to see the kusanagi though im not the only one. the treasures are presented when the emporer has ascends to the throne.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
if i could have ONE sword, including any antique, id choose the sword of goujian. a famous chinese bronze sword that was found in near perfect condition due to the increadibly tight fit on the scabbard, and it was found to be perfectly sharp capable of cutting a stack of 20 pieces of paper,

Looking at the chemical composition of the bronze alloy I am surprised to see that there are traces of iron going from approximately 1% to 3.5%. Eek! Question

Didn't know that some bronze alloys can include iron and no idea if the iron makes for stronger or harder bronzes ?

Anyway, might be good to research and the subject of a new Topic to not derail this one.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Marc Ridgeway

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are quite a few swords that it'd be hard for me to part with...

I have a James Raw custom katana that has some of my soul poured into the design.

An Albion Regent that is an incredible sword.

An Angus Trim 1508 that I swear to God is magic.

The Longship Verrimus is gorgeous and very versatile and seems to do everything well.

If I could keep just one sword of all the swords I own though, I guess I'd have to keep "Laird' . It is such an amazing sword AND has a lot of my heart and soul poured into it....

Marc Kaden Ridgeway
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm happy that there were several votes for the Albion Crecy. I've never owned a sword before and I'll likely only be a "1 sword owner" for a very long time. After a lot of thought I went with the Crecy and have one on order now. I can't wait to get it (likely after the new year).

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > If you could only own one sword...
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: