Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > If you could only own one sword... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Jonathan Eells

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: One sword, one horse         Reply with quote

If I was suddenly in a "One Sword" world, then I would also be in a "One Horse" world, so that would mean I would want a sword to wield from horseback. So I would choose the one blade I have that is very clearly intended to be a horse-back blade, being modeled after a genuine historical instance of the same: The Ulvbane. The Ulvbane has the blade of the St. Maurice, but it's got a MANLY guard/grip/pommel and I adore the thing like no other movie sword in memory.

And when I wasn't on horseback, I'd be swinging an axe. So there.
D. Austin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a very tricky one.

If I had to give up all but one from my current collection, I think I'd keep my antique cutlass, just because it's authentic and very cool (and almost impossible to replace). My favourite sword though, is my Pavel Moc Embleton, as I do love my 15th C longswords, and this is a lovely example.

If, however, I was a lone swordsman in a "one sword world", and I could choose any sword in existence to have as my personal weapon, it would have to be a good quality antique katana. I don't have a particular one in mind, but it would be very nice blade mounted with tasteful and austere furniture with a lot of shakudo and a bit of gold involved - just my little dream.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If restricted to only one sword I would probably want to design one rather than choose one I already have.

It would have to be made by someone who would make it good handling in spite of any bad suggestions from me or rather I would take their advice if I asked for something not optimum for the sword type.

A bastard sword type longsword as I would want it usable one-handed and long enough to be an effective longsword.

I would choose some form of type XVIII or type XVIa ( A long XVI ) rigid enough for effective thrusting and still with enough width for effective cutting.

With only one sword one has to go for a jack of all trades sword not too specialized in the cut or thrust.

So the approach of one sword only is mostly deciding on type and then trying for an optimized representative of the type.

Since I have a bit of experienced with the longsword I am best to pic a sword I could use well or best if I was in period or had a time machine. Since I'm fantasizing in a sort of genie in the bottle 3 wishes way, I guess with the sword I would wish for superhuman skill in it's use and the nerve and courage needed to face combat.

Anyway, maybe the question is more about which collector's or using sword one would keep or want if one could only have one, but I sort of added the whole " In period thing " if I really needed the sword to fight and survive with. Wink

Anyway, the time travellers kit of stuff and skills is sort of an expansion on the original Topic but if we didn't fantasize a bit about this kind of stuff we probably wouldn't have as much fun or interest in swords. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I could own only one sword in my collection, it would be the Del Tin 2140 - which is pretty much the first sword I fell in love with. Now, It's not as flashy, performance oriented or well-made as some, but I feel that it's an excellent archtypial medieval sword example with alot of character.

If I had to pick a sword to have as my only weapon - I'd go for an ATrim 1520. Big Grin

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For a collection, as a one-hander, my choice would be Rob Miller’s Suontaka.

When choosing a one-and-a-half, I would pick the Albion Earl. Many of you will think that I have a severe brain damage, but I like it better than the Svante, even if they had the same price.

But for going to battle, I would get no sword, but Arms & Armor Danish Axe.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

given the variables presented...

from my own collection - would be a tie between my Armour Class mortuary and my newly acquired Del-Tin 5155 Gothic h&h

if only 1 production sword , out of all available production pieces - Albion Landgraf

if only 1 sword period (custom, production,etc) - John Lundemo's - Sword of St. Catherine

cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Last edited by William Goodwin on Mon 16 Feb, 2009 5:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Loose from the horrible vision of a world in which I could one just a single sword, it would definately be a shiny gold colored new version of a bronze Schalenknauf style sword, such as this one:
http://1501bc.com/page/limburgs_museum/1214014.JPG
http://1501bc.com/page/limburgs_museum/1214015.JPG
http://1501bc.com/page/limburgs_museum/1214017.JPG
Now bear in mind that that sword has seen considerable long use, with most of the hilt decoration worn off, the blade reattached to the hilt (riveted roughly) etc. And if I'd have to limit myself to the ones I already own, it would be the reproduction of the bronze Mindelheim from Kemmathen.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
Gordon Clark

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I could keep only one of the swords I currently own it would be this one from Patrick Barta. I would have to look at a lot more swords before I found the one I would take from ALL swords.

Attachment: 53.7 KB
HiltAndBlade_withScabbard.JPG

Sam Barris

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. That's a tough call. It would come down to my Albion Svante or Bugei Lion Dog. In the end I'd probably go with the Svante, though.

If we're talking about a choice of one sword that isn't already in my collection, I'd trade both of the aforementioned blades in a heartbeat for Peter Johnsson's Vorpal sword from the Masters of Fire exhibition .

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would probably go with a custom viking sword by Patrick Barta. I have one I've picked out from "Swords in the Viking Age," that I'd like to have him make for me one day, but I don't have the book handy at the moment. Something like this little number would fit the bill.

If I couldn't get my hands on a Barta, for whatever reason, I think a PJ longsword would be a pretty dang good consolation prize.

If you throw custom jobs out of the equation, and only deal with production swords, I think I would most likely go with an Albion Landgraft, with the Prince running a close second.

Kenton
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The XVIIIb

Attachment: 21.68 KB
bayerische_in_scabbard.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Eric W. Norenberg

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm definitely with M. Thibodeau, if it can only be one sword, it has to be flexible in its functions... so here goes:

Type XXa blade, 34 - 36" long, about 5" of ricasso, and basically a XVIa in profile and section the rest of the way down. Slight convex grind. About 11" of hilt, bottle-shaped grip with enough riser for a positive one-hand grip, with a type 11 cross (straight, not down-turned) and a V-1 pommel, slim enough at the neck for my left hand to slide down a bit, but chunky enough to deliver a good "thunk." Shoot for right around 3 - 3.25 pounds, total weight, and maybe just a little blade heavy.

Or maybe stretch the hilt out a bit, put on a wheel pommel and one of the beautiful, German- style recurved crosses. Same blade, but concave ground now.

No, wait! A late 15th cent. style XIIIA, with that, what's it called, writhen... arrrrgggghhhh.... WTF?!

-Eric
Jim S.

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I MUST only have one sword, it would be my ArmArt "Viking" with Type H hilt. It is a beautiful, rugged sword that, to me represents a tie with my ancestors. I have hopes of modifying it someday with a custom early type English basket-hilt.

The runner-up is my U.S. Army Model 1913 Cavalry Saber, dated 1913 and in excellent condition.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg50/alvin1949/My1913.jpg
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry but I have to say, turning such a nice viking sword into a baskethilt is a bit heretical idea. Wink I love baskethilts, don't get me wrong, but... Big Grin
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If I had to have only one sword, I would change it every 3 or 4 months. Happy But if it would be a life lasting relationship it would have to be something like Svante or Munich. Or maybe Crecy. I love viking and crusader era swords, but they don't have the flexibility of a good hand and a half.
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One sword...likely a Messer of some sort. Perhaps not a true Kriegsmesser like the Knecht but something a little shorter on dimensions along the Langes Messer type. That or a well done Falcata.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Clark wrote:
If I could keep only one of the swords I currently own it would be this one from Patrick Barta. I would have to look at a lot more swords before I found the one I would take from ALL swords.

Not to digress,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I love that sword Gordon, the work on the grip is a perfect accent, beautiful.
Travis C.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: only one sword?         Reply with quote

Sheesh just one? Well from my very humble perspective, I would have to pick the Viceroy from Albion because of its wonderful balance of power and agility, and its wonderful balance of cut and thrust ability (for me). (This conclusion is from my fairly narrow perspective of owning perhaps only a dozen hand-and-a-halfs and a few one-handed swords, and also from my being partial to the German longsword system.)
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Wed 18 Feb, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thats a hard topic... i would probably choose a mix of swords like the handle and the blade of the albion berserkr and the pommel and guard of the dyback sword. i don't know much about the handling it would occur but looks cool and it would inspire me to charge off my enemies. Laughing Out Loud
R Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 19 Feb, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi I'm new here and wanted to jump in and get my feet wet, so to speak. As others here have said It's a hard choice to make. It would have to depend on the situation and the purpose. I could narrow it down to three, my Albion Crecy, Windlass Type XIV, or Hanwei/Tinker Pearce Early Medieval Sharp. Yes I have one of the few Pearce Early Medieval Sharp swords that leaked out before Hanwei recalled them. I know they are not according to Tinker's specs but honestly it's a very well made sword and seems to be quite well balanced to me. If forced to pick only one of my collection I suppose I'd have to say the Crecy because of the versatility of the longer cut and thrust blade and hand and a half or single hand usability. This sword handles quite well either way. Glad I don't have to make the choice though.
Paratus Et Fidelis

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > If you could only own one sword...
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: