Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello all, and a collection pic... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Justin B.

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Feb, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R D Moore wrote:
Good to see you're back! As a newbie, I've always appreciated your contributions here on the forum and in the comprehensive reviews you've contributed. Thank you.

Welcome back, and a whole lot more of what he said! Happy
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 14 Feb, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Bartek Strojek wrote:
Awesome colection.

I've never particulary liked black grip on the sword, until I saw your Svante on this picture.

Looks great.

It looks even better in a decent photo....................................

As you see the grip is actually a chocolate brown, it's just my mediocre photography skills that make it look black. It does look sexy in black though.

Woah woah woah, what is this beauty and why have I not seen it before? You said it's called a Svante?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Woah woah woah, what is this beauty and why have I not seen it before? You said it's called a Svante?

M.

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/johnsson/...svante.htm

Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Douglas G.

PostPosted: Sat 14 Feb, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Patrick!
Too long no sharing, mi bonum amicum! Nice family shot of your collection! So am I
the only one who misses your Migration D sword in this picture? Some covets never get old!
Someday I'm going to scratch that Svante itch, seeing yours reminds why.

All Best, Buddy!

Doug Gentner
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

Here's a few more shots to drool over.

I love this sword, let me repeat I L-O-V-E this sword. I never tire of examining the complexities of its shape and I don't know of a sword that rates a higher cool factor. Several years ago I had the pleasure of handling Peter Johnssons original and it took my education in a different direction. The folks at Albion really have to be commended for bringing this one to production. As I said, it's a complex shape and there are so many opportunities to FUBAR it up during the manufacturing process. This sword is a testament to their desire to get it right.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Douglas G. wrote:
Hi Patrick!
Too long no sharing, mi bonum amicum! Nice family shot of your collection! So am I
the only one who misses your Migration D sword in this picture? Some covets never get old!
Someday I'm going to scratch that Svante itch, seeing yours reminds why.

All Best, Buddy!

Doug Gentner

Thanks Doug!

I do need another migration sword in there don't I? I love migration era weapons and I'd love to have Patrick Barta make one for me, but at this point the expense required to do it right is pretty prohibitive for me.
Adam S.

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:

M.

WOW! Not to be a jerk, man, but how have you hung out on this forum and not seen the Svante? Wink

The Red/Brown of the Svanta grip is a favorite at Albion. It's a challenging piece to cutler, but allot of fun too!

Patric,

I think I may be the one that put together the grip and rain-guards on that one. Either way, glad you like it!
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think I was struck with blindness when it was introduced...in fact, I've not seen it on the Albion site until I googled the name...weird.

M.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Concerning those depressions in the Svante's pommel - I thought there would be something over at Albion explaining their purpose, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps a small relic could have been inserted and glued into place? Patrick, have you ever thought of putting something in one or more of those cavities, maybe jewels, pieces of amber, etc? Or do you think that doing that would junk up the look of the sword?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Concerning those depressions in the Svante's pommel - I thought there would be something over at Albion explaining their purpose, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps a small relic could have been inserted and glued into place? Patrick, have you ever thought of putting something in one or more of those cavities, maybe jewels, pieces of amber, etc? Or do you think that doing that would junk up the look of the sword?

This has been discussed on the forums a few times. Have a look at what Peter Johnsson says in this post and check out what Jonathan Eells has done to his discussed in this topic.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So there may have been little statuettes of saints in those niches - that would be mighty expensive to recreate today. I wonder which way those figurines were facing - heads toward the guard or the end of the pommel?

The red jewels that Jonathan put in his Svante pommel looked good, but I'd have gone with something green.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

There go the property values.....................then again, they're plummeting everywhere else so Nathan probably decided "what the heck". Big Grin

Or he figured I was still here so he couldn't possibly do any worse... Happy I REALLY need to look at this post at home where the firewall is not stopping me from seeing your picture. It will be interesting to see what you've been up to for the last little bit...

Did you ever find that tablet weaving that you were looking for all that time ago?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
So there may have been little statuettes of saints in those niches - that would be mighty expensive to recreate today. I wonder which way those figurines were facing - heads toward the guard or the end of the pommel?

The red jewels that Jonathan put in his Svante pommel looked good, but I'd have gone with something green.

At a guess I'd say heads towards the end you wouldn't want those saints standing on their heads when your sword was in the scabbard... of course you could also say you wouldn't want them on their heads while you were bearing the sword either so... Happy a conundrum...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Patrick, have you ever thought of putting something in one or more of those cavities, maybe jewels, pieces of amber, etc? Or do you think that doing that would junk up the look of the sword?

Yes, I have thought about that and may very well do it in the future. I don't think I'd go with jewels or stones, probably gold or bronze insets with some kind of religious motif as I suspect the original had something similar. I think it would only enhance the look of the sword if done properly.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Did you ever find that tablet weaving that you were looking for all that time ago?

I did find a few sources but the expense was more than I wanted given the amount I'd need.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

At a guess I'd say heads towards the end you wouldn't want those saints standing on their heads when your sword was in the scabbard... of course you could also say you wouldn't want them on their heads while you were bearing the sword either so... Happy a conundrum...

Alternate them?

M.

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's a famous painting that shows two of these Svante-type swords. Can't recall the artist's name, but the last time I saw it I checked to see if there was anything in the recesses. IIRC, there was, but barely discernible. In similar pommels, I've seen the figures with heads at pommel end. If I can dig up the images I'll post 'em.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here we go--Mattias Grunewald's meeting of Saints Erasmus and Maurice, 1520-1525.

http://www.aiwaz.net/panopticon/st-erasmus-an...gi1177c170

You can just make out the head and body of a figure set in one of the pommel recesses of the sword at far right. Other details, too, including tacks, grip section, suspension, chappe etc. The grip is a blend of the Svante and Bayerisches XVIIIb.

Attachment: 149.92 KB
grunewald.gif

Attachment: 140.46 KB
grunewald2.gif

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hello all, and a collection pic...
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: