Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next 
Josh Warren

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:

"Despite his elaborate armour the Earl of Douglas took five deep wounds".

And it is worth noting that the only place on the Earl's body that the chronicle chooses to name specifically as being wounded (the eye) is a spot behind a well-known gap in typical harness. It would be nice to know where his other "deep wounds" were, but note that none of them killed him--indeed he fought again at Shrewsbury just months later. I've always felt that this passage was a testament to the effectiveness of his armour rather than its failure. The guy suicidally charged headlong into a barrage of arrows and--wounds or not--lived to tell about it. His armour worked--it preserved his life even against his own deadly stupidity. Wink

Randall Moffett wrote:

Thomas Ruthal, Bishop of Durham, in a letter to Thomas Wolsey dated 20 September 1513 states it was not the armour but the fact the Scots were prepared with a plethora of things to defeat the English Archers:

"The said Scots were so surely harnessed with complete harness, German jacks, rivets, splents [forms of body armour], pavises, and other habilments, that shot of arrows in regard did them no harm..."

This still sounds unequivocally as though he is still attributing the Scots' survival of the arrow barrage at least in part to their armour.

Nobody's claiming that plate armour made its wearer 100% invulnerable to arrows; but it can certainly be demonstrated to have performed much, much better than the longbow crowd seems to want to admit.

And I still want to see an account stating unequivocally that a man was killed by a longbow arrow through his breastplate.

Most of the modern "longbow vs. breastplate" tests one sees the longbow guys posting on YouTube are flawed: the breastplate is almost always either a low-quality mass-produced Indian reproduction (and thus probably 18ga), or it's a poorly-shaped piece of metal. They clearly don't put anywhere near as much effort into the accuracy of their target as they put into their precious shooting tackle. I am reminded of one video in particular, which purports to show arrows shot from a 120-pound bow piercing a 2mm breastplate, but actually watching the video reveals that their "breastplate" is in fact a simple tube-shaped piece of sheet metal, and even with these inaccuracies, the metal still successfully repels more arrows than it allows to pierce it, and even those that pierce it do not do so to any great degree, often falling right out of the shallow holes they make in the metal. I wasn't impressed. I really think I'd trust a 2mm breastplate to save me from a longbow-shot arrow at all but the closest range and highest end of the poundage range. I'd trust my own 3.5mm+ cuirass against even the most powerful bow out there.

Non Concedo
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh Warren wrote:
[Nobody's claiming that plate armour made its wearer 100% invulnerable to arrows; but it can certainly be demonstrated to have performed much, much better than the longbow crowd seems to want to admit.

And I still want to see an account stating unequivocally that a man was killed by a longbow arrow through his breastplate.

Agreed. Cliff Rogers has been trying for years to put together a list of accounts where men were killed by arrows that penetrated plate armour. He hasn't found any that are unambiguous. Most of them either say that plate was penetrated but nothing about the wearer being killed or that the wearer was killed but nothing about plate being penetrated. Or else he relies on fanciful poems such as the "Lydgate Ballad" (Agincourt Carol). Find a single eye witness account where the writer says that a person was killed by an arrow punching through plate armour.

FWIW I'm sure it happened on rare occasions. I can see a fluke arrow punching through the temple of a helmet or the thin plate of a visor or a flawed breastplate but the odds of this occurring in a particular battle are so low as to have a negligible influence on the outcome of that battle. There is no way that anyone can make a coherent argument that the English won battles because warbows punched through armour.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think every one is focused on killing too much here. This is not the end point of a weapon or warfare. It is to get advantage over your enemy via force. Whether killed or wounded the arrows influenced the outcome of the battle on many occasions, at times not even by killing. Since many weapons work this exact way this should not take away from its effeciacy.

I disagree that there are not cases of armour pierced and killing men. There are not many but there are. Walsingham in the Homildon states of the men at arms many were killed right after his lovely coupling about the wonder arrows. We see very little accounts saying the arrow penetrated his tunic and then his skin and his muscle and heart but we have to be careful we are not taking away from relatively clear accounts. The majority are vague, no need to make more or try forcing them to say something they do not. And I think several of Cliff's examples did indeed prove armour penetration and death. The Castillian in France that got hit in the head and the arrow penetrated his helmet was fairly clear.

The issue is I agree. We have very little direct evidence but this is true on both ends that are crystal clear. As well I think the idea these arrows could most of the time penetrate armour and kill a man is wrong. But equally I think we have enough evidence to say it happened. Considering thaqt much armour was likely in the 1-1.5mm range I think it likely this happened more than infrequently, but I agree there is no way to make an argument on armour penetration being the way the English had such victories. That said I think that applies to warfare in general. Few battles work wth such one sided factors.

RPM
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Aleksei,

The sooner people get away from the agrument of I have sources that says it is or it is not and figure out how they all work together the betterour understanding works. Plate armour was at times compromised. That is the sad truth. The real issue is how often, what situations, etc.. For the most part I think by careful consideration of the accounts and testing it looks like armour was often effective at repelling arrows but clearly not always.

RPM

thank you for cutting to the truth of this whole issue maybe if instead of arguing we work on putting together these accounts preferably with as close to firsthand accounts as we can find, with truly accurate dimensions of plate including thickness shape of different types used in the 13th- 14th century’s along with accurate arrows that includes shaft weight, material and head shape, material and weight fired from the whole range of war bows from 70 lbs. bows all the way up to 170 lbs. ones in 5 pound increments made of varying materials (hickory, yew, maple, etc.) at varying ranges. This will give us as accurate results as can be managed without putting a plate covered person on a charging horse and having people shoot at him and see if he survives or going back in time and it would finally end this debate among reasonable people.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
The Castillian in France that got hit in the head and the arrow penetrated his helmet was fairly clear.

I forgot about this one Randall. I agree that it is fairly clear. But no, Walsingham is definitely not clear at all. He basically says that men at arms were killed by arrows. Very few of these were covered head to toe in plate. There were plenty of places where an arrow could cause damage that wouldn't even scratch a piece of plate.

I have no doubt that a rare arrow compromised a piece of plate armour far enough to kill the wearer. I seriously question whether there were enough incidents during a battle for it to be a contributing factor to the outcome.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan,

Can you prove they were not in head to toe plate. Walsingham is fairly clear they were armed in the best armour of the day stating, 'they had spent three years' in acquiring such good armour. Everything in his account indicates state of the art armour of the early 15th. That said you are right there are places other the arrows could hit but the fact this is the following sentence to the penetration sentences strongly strengthens armour penetration being part of this, though I'd never say all those Men at arms were killed thus, Walsingham is clear this was a part of the casualties.

To me the small number of these accounts is not an issue as most of the accounts simply say the archers loosed and killed or wounded these men, how exactly, around or through is left open, but the clear fact remains archers can kill armoured men.

But once again I agree with your statement how much would it have proved the turning point in a battle alone, arrows penetrating armour, not likely. But you add the arrows hitting unarmoured places, horses and such these would all add up.

Josh,

Walsingham states Douglas was hit in the eye (face shot) and the head (not likely face or he would have said this, the word he uses is specifically head). Unless Douglass took his helmet off in the battle (unlikely unless he was nuts) I'd say Walsingham is indicating penetration here.

RPM
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Mon 27 Feb, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think everyone agrees that arrows sometimes can penetrate plate armor. For instance, legs and arms are usually covered with plates between 1 and 1.5mm thick as opposed to breast plates and helmets that are often as thick as 3mm. Look at this helmet

It clearly shows very thick "main" plates while semicircular plates that cover the gaps seem to be much thinner as they have rusted through. Here is another similar example:

And yet another one

There is also a similar style kettle hat in our local museum that is at least partially made of steel over 2mm thick. Now if the thinner plates are rusted through, we can safely assume that the thicker plates have lost some metal due to corrosion as well and originally were about 0.5-1mm thicker. These helmets if hit into the thick plate should withstand most modern handguns let alone bows. But I wonder if the thinner plates that are now rusted through could be penetrated.
Mackenzie Cosens

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This has been a very interesting discussion. It has caused me to go off and read a thesis on the physics of the Bow to clarify my understanding of some of the things discussed.

Now just for fun, here is a speculation: when you think about the economics of 14th and early 15th century English warfare in France a weapon that does not kill but only wounds your high status well armoured opponent is preferred to one that actually kills him. If he is wounded he becomes much easier to capture and hold for ransom but if he is dead he has little or no value. The same weapon will be very good at killing most of the low status poorly armed men who are trying to defend their stuff that you will soon be stealing. So if the longbow only wounds rather then kill the well armoured high status individual and kills the low status poorly armed ones, it is a superior tool for the English Chevauchee business model then a weapon that kill the high status income source.

Mackenzie
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie Cosens wrote:
This has been a very interesting discussion. It has caused me to go off and read a thesis on the physics of the Bow to clarify my understanding of some of the things discussed.

Now just for fun, here is a speculation: when you think about the economics of 14th and early 15th century English warfare in France a weapon that does not kill but only wounds your high status well armoured opponent is preferred to one that actually kills him. If he is wounded he becomes much easier to capture and hold for ransom but if he is dead he has little or no value. The same weapon will be very good at killing most of the low status poorly armed men who are trying to defend their stuff that you will soon be stealing. So if the longbow only wounds rather then kill the well armoured high status individual and kills the low status poorly armed ones, it is a superior tool for the English Chevauchee business model then a weapon that kill the high status income source.

Mackenzie

While that falls into the "theorising" end of the spectrum, that speculation made my brain stop in its tracks, pause for a moment and then go "oh yeah." Dificult to prove, but logical, sensible, takes multiple sources of information into account. Really interesting idea, and also has an in built reason why it might not be expressly written about in period texts "We slaughtered some schleps and shot some rich bastards in the legs so we could sell them back to their families" doesn't make for good heroic poetry.
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think bows were used to snipe in open warfare like is assumed a lot in threads like this. I support the theory that units of bowmen were used for area interdiction, so you can steer enemy troop where you want them or don't want them to be.
The chance of getting a fatal wound while wearing armour is pretty minimal from a distance. At point blank range I wouldn't like taking a shot from an experienced archer with a proper warbow and matching heavy arrow. The thing with massed volleys and tight units is that no-one wants to be the one guy that does get hurt, even if you're chances are good.
That's all I have to say in a thread like this.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mackenzie,

If it had been a 100 years earlier maybe but even during the period we have men lamenting the number of men of higher status killed by lowly archers and other 'low born' soldiers. I suspect they did wound and cause more injuries than killing of men at arms though and we do have the occasional non-knight taking a knight and up captive for ransom though.

Ben,

I think what we are saying it that they likely were used in a number of ways, though I think most of use agree sniping was not their primary role.

RPM
William P

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i asked the question before, about what armour wold knights at crecy, in particular, have worn.

im assuming they were mostly in coat of plates like the ones at visby, though likely not the same model.

i wonder though how much protection coats of plates give against arrows, though, of course i also assume that, thse who had coats of plates, would have a maile hauberk underneath.

but it is a good point as to why archery among the yeomen and lower classes, why not spearmen instead. clearly, there must be a reason for having that many archers, and not having more spearmen recruited.
Graham Shearlaw

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if the plate of the coats of plates are the same quality as a breastplate or helm then it is just as good at stoping the arrow.
but as the plates can move a bit more and have a covering arrows are more likey to grip and dont side off like with plate armor.

a plate of the coats does cover the main flat spots or the body and it keeps all your organs safe, and as we all know deep wounds to the chest are bad news now, back then .. well the words a death sentence come to mind.

one reason from haveing more archers and not spearmen is that archers are payed more.
one of the other reasons is that archers give more bang for your buck and can still be use as spear men.
Randall Moffett

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Graham,

I think you are right. I have never heard any evidence that the COP was less effective against projectiles than a solid breastplate. When we consider how much overlap there is as well between the two once solid one piece breastplates come into being common seems to have remained fairly popular. I think the argument that the reason archers did no well at Crecy is the current armour is a red herring.

It is interesting as it seems spearmen in English armies are actually largely pushed out except on the very large armies, but even here they remain minorities to archers. Similar to hobelars getting pushed out by mounted archers as well.

RPM
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From one side coat of plates should be made of thinner metal to weigh same as a breast plate because of all the overlaps. But from the other side coats of plates are flexible and thus are more difficult to penetrate. So overall they are about as effective. The only difference is that a person wearing a coat of plates would be hurt by hits that didn't penetrate more than a person wearing a breast plate. But I can't estimate how much more.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One could argue that the cloth cover and overlapped plates reduces the deflective properties of the armour. One-piece shiny plate is the most difficult surface for a weapon to find purchase.
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a coat of plates or scale armor I think would make it easier to stop an arrow if it’s over a padded garment like a gambeson or other kinds of cloth armor because it would collapse in on itself and absorb some of the force before it actually started to penetrate the steel like the "dragon skin" body armor modern soldiers wear today. That does however cause more blunt force damage it would not actually pierce the armor but if you had thick enough padding you could continue to fight after taking a direct hit albeit with a nasty bruise if you survived the battle.
William P

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

when i asked bede dwyer, a expert on , mostly oriental archery, but also had knowedge of western bows, he told me that gambesons supposedly didnt stop the effect of a bodkin (although i realise needle bodkins are useless against solid plate armour

as for lamellar, i forget who it was, but someone on this forum in a thread said that when it came to lamellar, one issue with its properties of taking damage was that the lacing got cut even if the plate stopped the blow, or projectile which weakened the overall ability of the lamellar to take more hits.

also, the book about knights by christopher gravett, talking about the evolution of the knight in england, asserted that tests had shown that arrows DRILL, or bore into a plate... forgive me but that seems an absurdity to the highest degree.
but otherwise it was apparently very capable.
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. Kolick wrote:
a coat of plates or scale armor I think would make it easier to stop an arrow if it’s over a padded garment like a gambeson or other kinds of cloth armor because it would collapse in on itself and absorb some of the force before it actually started to penetrate the steel like the "dragon skin" body armor modern soldiers wear today.

Exactly what I meant by "coats of plates are flexible and thus are more difficult to penetrate"

William P wrote:

someone on this forum in a thread said that when it came to lamellar, one issue with its properties of taking damage was that the lacing got cut even if the plate stopped the blow

When I shot my 90lb bow at a lamellar at point blank range leather laces got torn and plates twisted though none of the plates were penetrated deep enough to cause an injury. Blunt trauma though would probably be significant, none of the full-force blows with a one-handed sword (delivered in combat, so not the strongest blows I could possibly deliver) could cause such damage to the armor.

Dan Howard wrote:

One could argue that the cloth cover and overlapped plates reduces the deflective properties of the armour

What I noticed to my great surprise is that when a well-hardened sharp object, be it a sword point or an arrow, hits a piece of softer steel it digs into this steel even when coming at an angle. Standard "quarrel" type heads would be deflected because they are not so sharp, but narrow broadheads and sharper bodkins don't. Unfortunately I haven't done enough tests to make any authoritative conclusion, but I tend to think that against hardened sharp arrow points deflective properties of armor would play far less role than its thickness and hardness.
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William P wrote:
the book about knights by christopher gravett, talking about the evolution of the knight in england, asserted that tests had shown that arrows DRILL, or bore into a plate... forgive me but that seems an absurdity to the highest degree.
but otherwise it was apparently very capable.

The fletchings on arrows are set at an angle, causing the arrow to spin in the air (this is primarily to increase accuracy) so it’s not that absurd that it could also cause a sort of drilling effect

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Arrows vs armour
Page 11 of 21 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: