Dragon Braid Seax
Greetings,

Just finished this one and thought I'd let you all take a look at it.

The specs are:

Blade: clay coated, oil quenched 1095
Handle: cherry wood, bone.
Sheath: saddle leather and brass.

Length
seax 9 1/2" (24cm)
handle 4 1/2" (11cm)
in sheath 10 1/2" (27cm)

Weight
seax 4oz. (100g)
in sheath 6oz. (175g)

Balance point: at the bone bolster.

Enjoy

P.S. this one is up for sale PM me if you are interested. I'll be posting more pictures on my website soon.

Attachment: 46.38 KB
dbs1.jpg

Attachment: 43.13 KB
dbs2.jpg

Attachment: 18.2 KB
dragonbraidseaxtext.jpg

Beautiful carvings on the handle. That is some truly great work. The blade is nice to, but the handle is truly a work of art.
Being the one who is constantly intrigued by the little "bobbles" on object (I often see the hinges and buckles on an armour harness before I take note of the general form), I notice the scabbard on that piece and see what looks to my eye to be dragon heads. Very nice detail!
Beautifully executed from tip to tail

Very well done

Tod
Beautiful work Ben!

You put this together in a very harmonious way.
A nice and understated mix between traditional form and personal take on the theme.
Ben, you should be proud of your work.

Excellent !

And I believe, a close up will always show your carving in all its glory.
Ben, This is an amazing piece. I was about to pick up a handle I'm working on carving but after seeing your's I'm thinking of starting over! Really nicely done.
I keep finding myself coming back to this thread and looking. I can't help but stare. Incredible work!
That's really a beauty! Fantastic carving.
Impossible. I call hacks!

But on the serious end, that's breathtaking. The piece AND the photo...did you take those yourself, or do you know a particularly great photographer?

I like the hamon(?) pattern on the blade. Something like this deserves an epic purpose.

M.
Quote:
I notice the scabbard on that piece and see what looks to my eye to be dragon heads.

Not only on the brass Nathan, I just realized that the knotwork terminals on the handle are overlapping dragon heads of the same style; what a clever theme. This is just a great little piece.
Thanks for all the kind words.

Yes I did take the photos, Still need to get the close ups done and post it on my website.

And, yes that is a hamon (japanese method)
I posted some close-up pictures of the grip and dragonheads HERE on my website.

Enjoy.
This piece is sold.
Ben Potter wrote:
I posted some close-up pictures of the grip and dragonheads HERE on my website.

Enjoy.

Like I was saying Ben : a close up will always show your carving in all its glory.

Impeccable carving !
Yes very nice work as everybody seems in agreement to say. :cool:
Dragon Braid Seax
I just received the Dragon Braid Seax today, and it's in perfect condition, thanks to the excellent packing! It's even more impressive than the pictures. Thanks, Mr. Potter!

Eric
Re: Dragon Braid Seax
Eric Sherwin wrote:
I just received the Dragon Braid Seax today, and it's in perfect condition, thanks to the excellent packing! It's even more impressive than the pictures. Thanks, Mr. Potter!

Eric

Glad to here you are happy with it.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: