Queations re. The Gilling-West sword.
Good morning Gentlemen.

I asked these questions elswhere, but received no neplies (as yet)

Can Anyone give me any information on the Anglo-Saxon sword, found at Gilling-West, in Yorkshire?

I have seen some photos, but only the same ones, from the Museum in York.
Can anyone tell me;

a, If the decoration on the hilt is the same on both sides?

b, On the grip, Are the silver 'bands' actually bands that once encicled the organic grip, or are they silver 'washers' remaining from a stacked grip ?

c, Is there any evidence of what organic material the grip was comprised of?
If not; What would be the most likely material?

d, Is there any signs of decoration on the lower guard?

and e, The niello decoration; Do you think the design was engraved into the silver, or was it punched/stamped ?

To me, with the straight angular lines, it appears to Possibly have been punched.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hear from anyone on this!

all the best,

Richard.
Hello Richard

I had the chance last year to see the Gilling sword up close as well as in the display case. I have a pile of photos of it, but passed up the chance to handle it myself as there is a patch of serious corrossion on the blade, and I didn't want to be remembered as the guy who broke the Gilling Sword!

Some the photos have confidentiality on them, but the ones in the display case I can send to you if you PM me. There are about 10 photos at 4Mb each. I will try to attach one here now and see if it works.

Briefly to your questions:
a. Not sure but I think so from a quick look at my photos.
b. They are bands that were originally over the grip itself.
c. No. Probably originally wood core, but don't know about any other coverings.
d. Not any more, if there ever was any, but it is heavily corroded.
e. Looks to me to be chiselled, but could be a combination of raised and chiselled.
No joy on the photo. I will try again when I get home from work tonight.
Just saw a limit of 150Mb on photos. I will reduce and send some tonight.
Thanks Peter,

You've been a great help already.
Will send you a PM.

The bands on the grip, Do you remember if they were overlapped, or a solid band?
Also, Was there any signs of how the bamds were held in place?
Why I ask, is that if the bands had piercings, where a nail or something might have been, then they must have slid up over the grip, but if they had no means of attachment, then possibly the grip was made in sections, with a band placed on each narrower 'neck' where the sections joined.

Thanks again, and I look forward to any pictures you might have!

Richard,
Gilling West Sword
Hello Richard,

I have a small booklet on this sword produced by I think The York Archeological Trust, it is perhaps over 15 years old, but has relevant information including x-rays of the blade core etc. P.M. me with you address and when I return home in two weeks if you wish I'll photocopy the booklet and post it on to you.

best
Dave
ps check out Patrick Barta's website there is I think his version of the sword on his website, Ivor Lawton also did a good copy a number of years ago but the only photos I can think of that version in the public domain are in Dan and Susanna Shadrake's 'Barbarian Warriors' book
Thanks for the very kind offer, Dave.

Will send you PM.
I'll have a decco at Patrick's site as well, thanks for the hint!

This is a great forum! always someone willing and able to help!

Many thanks!

Richard.
medieval archaeology article
Hey there guys

I know this post is a little bit off date but there was an article about the discussed sword in Medieval Archaeology:

ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/arch-769-1/ahds/dissemination/pdf/vol30/30_093_099.pdf

Glad if it helps a bit

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: