Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Which mythical sword would you want to own? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Dave W.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got a couple...

Durendal : sword of Roland

Hrunting : sword of Beowulf (ok so it didn't work on the gigantic monsters...but when am I ever gonna run into Grendel anyway?

Sword of the Giants : ok so if I do run into a gigantic norse monster, I'll have Beowulf's other sword (the one that works)

Sword of the High King Peter : it just has a really great name

There are definetly others that I'm forgetting...
Josh Watson

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a difficult choice.

There's Conan's blade of Atlantean steel, always a favorite.

Can't forget Balmung, just for the sheer bad-assery imparted to the wielder.

But, in honesty I would have to go with Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber.

The first step to becoming wise is to know that you know nothing.
Joel Minturn

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The fantasy blades I would like to have?

If anyone has read the Steve Brust books will know these. If you haven't they are worth looking into.

god Slayer aka Lady Teldra would be a nice blade
I wouldn't complain about having Black Wand or Pathfinder either.
Those weapons are some the 17 "Great" weapons with great power and properties. Having a sword that devours the targets soul might be a bit much but still their impressive blades.
Bennison N

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...

3) Count Dooku's lightsaber, because I like the handle, which to me resembles a dao handle, and therefore seems ideal for dao forms.

2) He-man's Sword of Power, because I'd like to know what the transformation, the whole "Power of Greyskull", sword in the air thing, feels like. Although I'd probably wear quite a lot more clothes than He-man did.

1) The Zhan Lu sword, made by Ou Yezi, and which, the legends say, has the following abilities:
*The essence of all metal. (That's how it translates...)
*Glows in the dark. (Saves on the power bill, but makes it really hard to conceal your position at night...)
*Shines in the daylight, brighter than the Sun or Moon. (Note to self - Wear sunglasses...)
*Can roll into a coil or extend by itself. (That would be quite handy sometimes...)
*Gives the viewer a feeling of life when unsheathed. (An odd trait for a weapon, actually...)
*Gives the viewer a sense of awe when sheathed. (This is still the one I feel most inclined to believe... Sounds like an awesome... forgive the pun... psych-out tactic...)
*So sharp, it can be stabbed into a deep pool of water and emerge dry. (Because I plan to stab a lot of deep pools...)

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" - Confucius

अजयखड्गधारी
Darrin Hughes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jan, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another one for Stormbringer. Not too healthy for friend or foe, or Elric himself in the end, but even so it has to be the Black Sword.
Peter Lyon
Industry Professional

Reading list: 39 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, lots of interesting replies to this one!

I had been thinking more along the lines of mythical/legendary swords from history, but there are some great ideas coming out even if I don't know all the sources. I particularly like the idea of Stormbringer, I had a poster on my wall for years while at university and after, called "The Dragon Lord", painted by Rodney Matthews, one of a series of Elric paintings he did.

So, as well as your favourites, how do you envisage them yourself, EG Excalibur as a 6th century sword, or Excalibur as a high medieval royal sword, or Excalibur as a modern high fantasy sword, etc?

Still hammering away
Jim Adelsen
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Skofnung the sword of Hrolf Kraki. Taken from his grave a couple hundred years after his death and was still like new. Definitely a migration era sword. Maybe like a Del Tin 2070.
www.viking-shield.com
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Lyon wrote:
So, as well as your favourites, how do you envisage them yourself, EG Excalibur as a 6th century sword, or Excalibur as a high medieval royal sword, or Excalibur as a modern high fantasy sword, etc?

With Excalibur, I reckon its contexual. If you want a plausable historical Arthur, then a ceremonial spatha will fit nicely. However, if you like the Knights of the Round Table as fantastical high medieval superheroes, I'd go for a gilt hilted XIIa with a slightly stiffer blade than usual without crossing the border into XVIa territory.

Big Grin
Gabriele A. Pini

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For Excalibur the most convincing rappresentation is that of Jack White, a long spata with a short point, made of the metal of the sky (I. E. something in the order of a 4380 steel), but the one in my heart forever is that of the cartoon "King Arthur", a long knight's sword with cross and narrow fuller.
Julien M

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It would have to be a talking blade for me, as this particular feature had a deep impact on my imagination as a kid:

Neither Gurthang (Anglachel, Turin's cursed blade), nor Stormbringer were too talkative, but they would address their wearer shortly before taking their lives. I have always wondered how much Moorcock borrowed from the children of hurin when creating Stormbringer since there are many similarities between the two stories.

I remember and loved Rodney Matthews paintings too, but I never actually found a representation of Stormbringer that i would find suitable. I like to think of it as large bastard sword made of black steel with runic inscriptions on the blade, but not something featuring a guard that a black metal lead singer would wear as a necklace Happy

Now I don't know if that's going to ring a bell for some, but another sword comes to my mind: "Excalibur Junior", Pip sword featured in the "grailquest" fantasy gamebooks by J. H. Brennan. Now that sword would never stop babbling about, and in a quiet sarcastic fashion, always stressing pip's failures (beside from this very annoying ability, I don't recall the sword having any of the other usefull features usually found in magical artifacts Happy

Other than these, Excalibur seems to me to be the obvious answer (and I'm not talking about any "historical" Excalibur, but the sword I would picture in my mind as a child, which would indeed be a type XII, such as the one wielded by Gabriel Byrne as Pendragon in Boorman's movie).

Cheers,

Julien
Justin H. Núñez

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nat Lamb wrote:
I must join with others here and consign myself to the Moorcock camp. If I had to take up a fantasy sword , it would be one of the inferations of the Blacksword.
Failing that, Excalibur jnr from the "Grailquest" choose your own adventure books. Like a talking excalibur, only a smartarse Big Grin

You actually remember Grailquest? I thought I was the only one (probably was in very rural AZ) that read those.
Yes EJ was a great sword, but he hated, no, detested spiders. Happy

"Nothing in fencing is really difficult, it just takes work." - Aldo Nadi
Julien M

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just realized I didn't noticed your post Nat!

You're definitely not the only one to remember it Justin Happy
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, if we get to include sword from fiction, one of my all time favourites is Sikánda, Bastian's sword from The Neverending Story.

The blade burned with white fire and could cut anything. However, the weapon had a mind of it's own and would allow its owner neither to draw it from the scabbard nor command it in battle. Instead it would jump into his hand on it's own accord when danger thretened and fight on it's own with superhuman skill. Yet it would refuse to ever kill an opponent. (Which wasn't a problem, since it was practically invincible anyway.)

I belive Michael Ende described it as relatively short, double edged and with a saber-like hilt. When resting in the scabbard it looked worn, small and unimpressive.

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
My vote for "Tyrfing", the sword from the Hervara saga that by fate had to taste blood everytime it was unsheathed. Valuable enough for the Shield-maiden Hervor to claim it from the ghost of her ancestors. I.e tomb-raiding it Big Grin

Supposedly it also glowed when swung and could cut an anvil in half, IIRC.

Wasn't Tyrfing/Tirfing cursed to the point that everyone who ever owned it died a violent death, though?

Dave W. wrote:

Sword of the High King Peter : it just has a really great name

As a matter of fact, Peter's sword had an actual name: in the Prince Caspian novel he refers to it as "Rhindon."

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:

Supposedly it also glowed when swung and could cut an anvil in half, IIRC.

Wasn't Tyrfing/Tirfing cursed to the point that everyone who ever owned it died a violent death, though?

That is absolutey correct. "It shone like the rays of the sun"..the passage describing it in lovley old Norse:

"SIGRLAMI hét konungr, er réð fyrir Garðaríki. Hans dóttir var Eyfura, er allra meyja var fríðust. Þessi konungr hafði eignazt sverð þat af dvergum, er Tyrfingr hét ok allra var bitrast, ok hvert sinn, er því var brugðit, þá lýsti af svá sem af sólargeisla. Aldri mátti hann svá hafa beran, at eigi yrði hann manns bani, ok með vörmu blóði skyldi hann jafnan slíðra. En ekki var þat kvikt, hvárki menn né kvikvendi, er lifa mætti til annars dags, ef sár fekk af honum, hvárt sem var meira eða minna. Aldri hafði hann brugðizt í höggi eða staðar numit, fyrr en hann kom í jörð, ok sá maðr, er hann bar í orrostu, mundi sigr fá, ef honum var vegit."

The curse bit appears later in the Saga linked to some ill deed performed by its owner if I'm not mistaken. Have to read up on that. Still my favourite mythical sword though!

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hmm... even though I am not much for japanese swords - I'd take pretty much any of the 'soul slayers' from the anime & manga Bleach... they come complete with an anthropomorphic form and in some cases a serious attitude!

For crazy swords that I could never wield, it's tough to beat Guts' (as the Black Swordsman from the anime & manga Berserk) massive chunk of formed and sharpened iron (based on proportions as they appear in some of the images, the thing is about 6.5 feet long, about a foot wide and maybe 3 inches thick at the center of the blade... it varies quite a bit in different artwork though for effect). And it has a possibly malevolent spirit as a bonus!

where it gets real fun is mythical/fantasy armour! Big Grin

Unfortunately my knowledge of mythology is too limited to have a favorite sword from a more 'traditional' mythos

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi
Adam S.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Jan, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Lyon wrote:
Wow, lots of interesting replies to this one!

So, as well as your favorites, how do you envisage them yourself, EG Excalibur as a 6th century sword, or Excalibur as a high medieval royal sword, or Excalibur as a modern high fantasy sword, etc?

Oh... My vision of the Black Blade....

Lifting the lid of an old battered wooden box, the feeling of exaltation and dread filling my senses. To reach into the box and wrap my hand around the weather-worn leather of the scabbard and loft it to the air. To take in hand the hilt, the ancient leather somehow still soft and supple from centuries of handling. Draw the Blade forth. Watch as the the light catches only the gleam of the runes along the surface...

This sword, the one they call the Cold Sword, was the true Black Blade... HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

(Please pardon my paraphrasing, I can't seem to find my copy of The Silver Warriors)

And truly, who wouldn't want to visit Tanalorn?
Lou Weaver

PostPosted: Fri 30 Jan, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

kaor ! ah yes, what sword would one own? here are my choices. myth; kusanagi the grass cutter from japanese legend. excalibur , a late roman period spath/viking hybrid . from fiction tolkien's gurthang and narsil/anduril , moorcock's stormbringer , bulmer's krozair longsword ( a katana variant with european influence) ,stirling's draka layer knife , and of course, a barsoomian long sword ( toi-lakh) of heliyan (helium) make with that superb steel the jeddak na- jeddak'in (emperor of emperors) john carter , virginian and rakaj-shakar (warlord) of barsoom allways praised for it's strength and sharpness. ( some barsoomian words are of my own invention ,a weakness of mine so please forgive Big Grin )
'...you know best the promptings of yor own heart. that i shall need your sword i have little doubt, but accept from john carter upon his sacred honor the assurance that he will never call upon you to draw this sword other than in the cause of truth, justice and righteousness.'
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glamdring! Hicks may brandish their shotguns and shout "Get orf my property!" but I'd get to wave my (glowing) sword and yell, "You cannot pass!"
Joshua Connolly

PostPosted: Sun 01 Feb, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Glamdring! Hicks may brandish their shotguns and shout "Get orf my property!" but I'd get to wave my (glowing) sword and yell, "You cannot pass!"

*facepalm*
Malcolm A

PostPosted: Mon 02 Feb, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could I be really greedy and have Stormbringer and its sister blade Mournblade?

From what I recall of the books they could be wielded at the same time due to their magical / deominc properties.

Count Dooku's light sabre would be kinda nice too

It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom -- for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Which mythical sword would you want to own?
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: