Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 18th Century Venice Arms Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Susan Fisher

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: 18th Century Venice Arms         Reply with quote

Struggling writer needs help with historical accuracy! It seems the members of this forum are extraordinarily knowledgeable, so I thought I would throw in a real stumper. Does anyone know what kind of sword would have been likely to be used by civil authorities/soldiers in 18th Century (around 1725) Venice? Specifically, by local magistrates/ law enforcement such as the Dorsoduro Night Guard?

If you know the type of sword, what would the approximate blade length and overall weight be?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is the heyday for a sword type called a "hanger" (aka, "cutlass," later "briquette"). It was a common infantry sidearm of the time and persisted in civic use long after it became obsolete for military use. If I remember correctly, hangers were used by various police forces well into the 19th c. Lacking evidence to the contrary, it's what I'd put in the hands of fictional 18th c. Italian cops.

There are fine examples, but the typical hanger is a very simple weapon. Short, narrow blade, slightly curved. Cast brass hilt with knucklebow and globular pommel. Typically worn in a baldric (wide belt worn across the body, from shoulder to waist). Size? Maybe 30" overall.

In earlier times, the Italians would have called this a "storta," but I don't know for sure what they called what we call a "hanger".

Read this post, in which I describe a reproduction "Model 1742" German/English hanger:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...light=1742

I'll check around and see what I can find for you.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 18th Century Venice Arms
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic