Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How would you have done the armoury, etc, in LOTR? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Though I had certain problems with the visual presentation of Tolkien's work I will say that the depiction of Grond was almost precisely the way I imagined it.

What would have made it extra cool if they showed the orcs operating it go insane and fall on the ground as described in the book.
Julien M

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I loved the visual impact of Grond as well, even if mechanicly it doesn't make sense that it should be hollowed at the impact point (the fire mouth) while used to take down such mighty gates as the ones of Minas Tirith.
Steven McIntyre

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My main problem with the films is how weak mankind is portrayed aside from the main characters. In the first film Gandalf and Elrond talk of how the fate of Middle-Earth rests on mankind, but in the other 2 movies they need outside help to win.

I didn't mind the elves being at Helms Deep, but the battle of Minas Tirith was too lop-sided in favour of the evil forces. No matter what the humans did, they would be countered and demolished until, as Julien said, the undead scrubbing bubbles came and wiped the battlefield clean. It's a shame because that battle had such great build up but felt flat.

As for the arms and armour, I fine with most, but I haven't read the last 2 books yet(next on my reading list). I'm fine with the older civilisations having plate armour, but I didn't like that every Gondorian had full plate. Especially since it didn't seem to help anyone one bit. I'd be ok with a very few higher ranking people having full plate, but I would have liked it better if they were more 13/14c (grieves, bracers, coat of plates, etc.).

~PER ARDUA~
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. your comments made me die a little inside. Laughing Out Loud Tolkein defined the entire genre of modern fantasy literature as we know it; all subsequent fiction either imitates and draws direct inspiration from his work, or consciously seeks to be different to avoid comparison. You simply must read the books before you make any grand pronuncamentos as to the story. You probably won't find the same magic that someone who reads it as a child, but I promise you will find it rewarding. The movies cut out significant amounts of excellent story to make room for some absolute drivel (Arwen replacing Glofindel, Arwen taking up vast and inordinate amounts of screen time in apocryphal scenes, Gimli as some sort of severely diminished comic relief, and so on )

From what I have read of Tolkein's intent was to create a uniquely English mythology (he found the body of British mythology to be lacking, apparently) to support and explain the three languages that he was creating. He drew heavy inspiration from the Norse sagas, heroic and dark age mythology, as well as dark age history in general. I've always suspected that the Dúnedain as an "imported" race of kings was a reference to the Rus and the Slavs, but I digress.

Anyhow I took it for granted that all of the weapons and armor would be akin to Migration or Viking Era weapons and armor.
I love a lot of the weapons and armor that they included in the movie, even though they part significantly with my imaginings. I never cared for the axes that they gave Gimli, but everything else was brilliant; better than I had imagined and well thought out. The elf swords were interesting and took a bit of convincing but ultimately I found them fascinating.

Overall then I say they got it right.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was very disappointed with the lack of Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir, and the rangers at the Helm's Deep. Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir are few remaining great elven warriors and would make great characters for the movie if depicted right. Elves of the wood like Legolas can't compare with them. And the Arnor Dunedain are fascinating to me as they remained true to original Numenorean people and the southerners, Gondorians became somewhat, I don't know how to say it, diluted, decayed? Remains of Arnor Dunedains are pure blooded Numenoreans like Aragorn and his ancestors, still tough people, wise, aware of the situation, and of course, powerful warriors. They would raise people's opinion on the power of men when watching the movie. Happy Similar with the Imrahil of the Dol Amroth. Powerful men, with some elven blood from the distant ancestors. Reminder of the old glory. Aragorn is not depicted with enough wisdom, kingly authority and not very noble looking. A bit wild and tough, but still nobel and wise looking. It should have been some other actor. And Boromir and Faramir are specifically for Numenoreans dark haired, not like in the movie. Faramir's decision about the Ring should be instant, immediately when he heard about the Ring he said he wouldn't take it even if Frodo offered it. He was more like a typical knightly figure, honorable and noble, doesn't have to think a lot to know what is the right and honorable thing to do.
Regarding the weapons... Although it all is heavily inspired by the Dark age legends and warriors, Tolkien did imagine equipment to be more later medieval. Imrahil and his men wore plate armour. Most of the elves and Gondorians are something like 13th century, mail with maybe some plate, Noble elves and men should use longswords, I think Anduril and Glamdring actually represent these swords well, elves in the movie doesn't wear them and that really bothered me. Gimli is very underrated, he should be much more powerful warrior, not restricted with his height. And he should always wear mail. Rohirrim were quite well represented, although at Helm's Deep, reinforcements should be Erekenbrand with infantry, not Eomer's cavalry. Eomer was inside the Helm's Deep. Orcs were quite good, just the lack of the wild men at Helm's Deep and men of the East at Minas Tirith is disappointing.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So for all that budget they couldn't get the story right?

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Ekelmann

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally, I was hoping for armour more like what The Lonely Mountain Forge makes. Inspired by the Migration Era and Eraly Medieval world. Mail, single hand swords, round shields, spears, spangenhelms, greave and vambraces on the men of Gondor and Dol Amroth, long handled axes. The Orcs should look like the old Grenadier miniatures.

Still, I appreciate the care and effort that PJ and WETA workshop put in to the production design of the films. It is a visually stunning cinematic expiriance.

But I can't forgive PJ for how he butchered and emasculated the characters in the name of relevance and modernity. Aragorn is a hero because he isn't full of self doubt as a person would be in real life. Faramir is a paragon, a throwback to the Gondorians of old, not a weak broken hearted wretch because his father didn't love him best. Gimli is a warrior who takes joy in the song of the axe, not some comic beer swilling blunderer. The hobbits are in the books to provide us regular folks a frame of reference, they are supposed to be afraid, have doubts, be filled with wonder at these strange sights, just as we would be, had we been transported to Middle Earth.

But that's just me.

“Men prefer to fight with swords, so they can see each other's eyes!" Sean Connery as Mulay Hamid El Raisuli in The Wind and the Lion
Wade Casto

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Michael Ekelmann"]Faramir is a paragon, a throwback to the Gondorians of old, not a weak broken hearted wretch because his father didn't love him best. [quote]

Great point! Faramir is my favorite character because of his pureness. He's not tempted by The Ring and happily moves the hobbits along their way. Although, I did like the look of the Rangers of Ithilien. PJ and crew did well against Hollywood constraints. I have always said they got more right than wrong, taken some acceptable artistic liberties (the Elves @ Helm's Deep), but overall read the books.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
So for all that budget they couldn't get the story right?

M.

That's right. The movies were something like nine hours long in total (maybe longer), so props for that. I was stunned that they got financing to make the movies as long as they did, but even then much was left out. That was understandable, but to add fake scenes at the cost of actual content was befuddling.

With a budget that huge, the pressure to make a movie for every segment of the populace was just too great; hence the added romance, the cheesy Gimli jokes, and so on. It's like they had a checklist: the special effects crowd, the kids, the girlfriend who's only going because you insist, the hardcore fans, the Enya fans...

Anyhow I was amazed at how well the costuming was done, and the weapons were a great surprise. No clunky barbarian swords, what a relief.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:
No, the pikes are (unusually) quite close to Tolkien's vision. Read Unfinished Tales and you'll find his account of the battle at the Fords of Isen, where the Orcs overran the Rohirrim with pikes.

I am not sure of the passage you are speaking of. I would think that they were not all armed this way?

Maybe a few with some long spears I could stomach. But it's more than just the pikes, it was their discipline and organization. They looked like the equivalent of veteran Swiss Pikemen, that strikes me as a bit off for Orcs. They may have been a bit more disciplined than a normal orc (I think I remember reading this in the books maybe?) but there was way to much of a difference for me.

Unfinished Tales. It's a posthumous publication, not part of the Lord of the Rings book. And the Uruk-hai's discipline and organization was quite strongly emphasized there. Even in The Two Towers (the book, not the movie) the image I got of them was more like some sort of dark, twisted Roman legionaries than the ordinary barbaric Orcish rabble.

(And it's hard to find a battle-cry that can top "We are the fighting Uruk-Hai!")
Stephen Renico

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
(And it's hard to find a battle-cry that can top "We are the fighting Uruk-Hai!")

"Ayo Gorkhali!" ("Here come the Gurkhas!") is pretty good. Happy

As far as the films went, Aragorn would yell the name of his ancestor, "Elendil!" as a war cry. Having an ancestor with a name regal enough to be a war cry is just indescribably cool.

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." -Thucydides.
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:
Personally I think the movie improved on Tolkien's books in a number of ways.

I guess it's what you are looking for. I would have liked them to be more true to the books, but I see your points.

It also depends on who you are appealing to. For the historians who disike non-period arms and armour being used together, it may not be as appealing, but I'm sure to the general audience the mixing of these was not a problem.

Just kills me a bit that Gondor is 14th-15th century, Rohan seems to be more 10-12th century.

Quote:
The depiction of elves with light long curved swords has been a popular theme ever since the 80's and those types of weapons seem far more appropriate for a bunch of pampered nancy boys than blades which often involve a lot more up close and personal work

This I have to disagree with. One problem is elves made Glamdring and Sting - why are they making straight swords when they use exclusively the curved Katana's? The portrayal of elves as pointy eared samurai killed it for me.

I do think there could have been ways to clad elves, gondorians and Rohirrim in mail but give them a different look. Could do distinctive surcoats worn by one or the other, different helms, different style shields, make certain plate accessories common among one but not the other (long mail hauberks for the Gondorians, short hauberks for the Rohirrim, use a lot of vambraces and greaces for the elves for instance)etc. etc.

You have to take into account that Glamdring and Sting were made in Gondolin during the First Age. Thats puts them being made at least 6,500 years before the events of LotR. Thats a lot of time for styles in weapons and armor to change.

I think the difference in armor styles between Rohan and Gondor is appropriate. The Gondorians are descendants of the Numenorians, who were the most advanced of all human races and had many skills taught to them by the elves of Tol Eressea. The Rohirrim (afaik) were descended from men that had never left Middle-Earth or had much/any contact with the elves of the west or the Valar so their less advanced armor makes sense.
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Marcos Cantu wrote:

Quote:
You have to take into account that Glamdring and Sting were made in Gondolin during the First Age. Thats puts them being made at least 6,500 years before the events of LotR. Thats a lot of time for styles in weapons and armor to change.

There is no indication in any of the books that there was much of a change in armour or weapons from the Silmarillion to the Age of the War of the Ring. About the only thing changing I read was the facemasks the dwarves sometimes wore in the first age were not really worn by dwarves in the time of the War of the Ring.

Otherwise, descriptions of armour and weapons are very, very similar.

Middle Earth was not Terra - things did not seems to "evolve". The first elves seem to have changed after exposure to the Ainur, and the Wood Elves of the First age did not seem to wear armour in their first conflicts with Orcs, but then after this they did, though throughout the books they always seem to favor being lightly armed.

But as for styles and types of weapons changing, there is no indication from the books. My guess is Tolkien would turn over in his grave at the idea of Katana armed elves.

Quote:
I think the difference in armor styles between Rohan and Gondor is appropriate. The Gondorians are descendants of the Numenorians, who were the most advanced of all human races and had many skills taught to them by the elves of Tol Eressea. The Rohirrim (afaik) were descended from men that had never left Middle-Earth or had much/any contact with the elves of the west or the Valar so their less advanced armor makes sense.

The "technology" of Middle Earth and even in the Silmarillion seems to come from exposure to the Valar, which then is given to the Noldor and Vanyar, the Noldor returning to Beleriand and "giving" this technology to some extent to other elves that never went to Valinor, and man.

There is nothing in the books that I can recall that indicates any of the Valar, Vanyar, Noldor or any others wore plate, particularily not articulated plate. As this was much of the source of technology, I see no reason why Middle Earth would have gone to plate.

Even the Numennoreans received their inspiration and technology from other elves, and perhaps proximity to Valinor. Their descendants were probably closer to the "source" of technology at one time than any in Middle Earth at the time of the War of the Ring other than the Noldor, of which there were very few.

Since there are no example of plate in the books, and even the most advanced are either wearing mail or the sometimes mentioned "armour like the scales of fish" which would imply a scale or lammelar type, I cannot see why the Goindorians would be wearing plate/
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Imrahil's shiny plate is blurred with Eowin's breath when she is wounded by Witch King and he realize she is alive. I think that is the only place mentioning plate specifically. A few other parts where I imagined plate but it was not specifically said that it is. I'll try to find them. I think they are all in the Return of the King. But I read the books in Croatian so they might be interpreted wrong by the translator.
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Imrahil's shiny plate is blurred with Eowin's breath when she is wounded by Witch King and he realize she is alive. I think that is the only place mentioning plate specifically. A few other parts where I imagined plate but it was not specifically said that it is. I'll try to find them. I think they are all in the Return of the King. But I read the books in Croatian so they might be interpreted wrong by the translator.

the English version says, "And he held the bright-burnished vambrace that was upon his arm before her cold lips, and behold! a mist was laid on it hardly to be seen."
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I thought it could be something like that. Well, that confirms the theory of 13th/14th century equipment rather than the film version. Happy
Gary Teuscher

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Or Carolingian era equiment as well, or Roman for that matter. Vambraces were not uncommon during these times/cultures as well
Tim Ormsby

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hate to be this guy but the Tolkien nerd in me just kicked in when I read this:

Elling Polden wrote:
However, their heritage has been asexulalised in the movie. In the book they where ork-human hybrids, made in the good ol' fashioned way in the breeding pits.

Actually they weren't. Uruks are just a breed of large orcs that appeared in the third age. You're thinking of half-orcs which Saruman was breeding in Isengard and were separate from the Uruks (but also fought in Saruman's army). The Southron the Hobbits saw in bree is thought to have been a half-orc.

I agree that the elves should've been equipped with straight swords and mail, but goddamn if they're naginata ginsu-knife line didn't look impressive at the start of the first film Laughing Out Loud
Gene Green

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw LOTR well before I found out about this site, so I must've missed a lot of things. Anyway, even now, the wild-donkey armor and arms don't upset me at all in a fantasy movie (unlike in 13th Warrior which was supposed to take place in a historic setting). I have no problems with "samurai elves", nor with "gay spartan" elves of the earlier battle of Mordor. Heck, I could even believe that Legolas would stab with an arrow. What did make me cringe, though, were the insults to common sense.

1. Gondor plate armor was made of paper. Otherwise I can't understand why it could be cut through with a single light slashing motion. Why wear armor if it makes no difference ? I have no problem with XV c armor on Gondor and X c armor on Rohan but please, make it work.

2. Why would an Orcish army need long pikes to attack a fortified walled fortress ? What use are these pikes in a siege ?

3. Why did an attack of Rohirim cavalry on a piked Orcish formation go through it without as much as slowing down ? Were the pikes made out of straw ?
Ian Hutchison

PostPosted: Fri 20 Feb, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
regarding specifically the swords, my main complaint about the movies (in addition to others already voiced) is how the FOTR completely glosses over how the hobbits got their swords.......... the four hobbits suddenly pop up in bree skipping a substantial piece of the story and this is particularly strange as Merry's sword plays a very important role later on ..... not just any sword could have done what Merry's did. tr

Yeah, that's one of my least favorite parts about the films as well.

In the books there is way more story behind their swords and how they got them, in the films Strider just gives them some random swords in the wilderness after Bree.

Also, the omission of certain characters. I can understand leaving out Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir and the group of Dunedain and Ruddergast because, to be honest, they had a really small role and one line (or less) each (introduction lol).
However, the omission of Tom Bombadil really annoys me. He was easily one of the most interesting characters in any of the books.

'We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose.' - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > How would you have done the armoury, etc, in LOTR?
Page 3 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: