Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Black Saber by Paolo Abrera Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sa'ar Nudel wrote:
Matthew, referring to your former post from Feb 1st, assuming the saber in the line drawing is a historical one, it is interesting to see this dated mid-17th century saber with a complex blade and its hilt almost fully enclosed, a forerunner of its 18th century direct descendant.

In addition to Paolo's note, I recommend to check Michal Dziewulski's short book Eastern Influence on Polish Arms, it can be found in pdf format on vikingsword.com.

On your last post, if you take saber #5 and remove the thumb ring you'll have a Bedouin saber per-se...

Please pardon the late reply, Sa'ar. I do indeed visit the ethnographic forum at vikingsword.com, and while
aware of Mr. Dziewulski's status -- he actually lent some comments privately on another project from a few
years back -- I hadn't been aware of his short book. So, a thankyou to you for getting me to dig around for
it. B-)

For others who might be interested ...

http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/Dziewulski01.pdf

PostPosted: Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Let's bump this back to the top for awhile, cuz I think this is such
a unique sword to look at ... B-)
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Sun 15 Mar, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unique it is.

I just got a new book today, inside I found a highly unusual Polish/Magyar saber: combined with a wheel-lock pistol Eek!

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 15 Mar, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sa'ar Nudel wrote:
Unique it is.

I just got a new book today, inside I found a highly unusual Polish/Magyar saber: combined with a wheel-lock pistol Eek!

This one?

From our spotlight article on Combination Weapons.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Mon 16 Mar, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes Chad, this is the one. Thank you for linking to your article, I didn't notice it before. The 2nd photo of the sword (the thumbnail one the right) may be the same photo from the book, after retouching the background.
It is Kombinations Waffen, by Heinz-Werner Lewerken, DDR 1989.

Combination aside, the blade looks excellent. I wonder how much weight the pistol adds; the scabbard must have been bulky.

Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.

PostPosted: Sat 02 May, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to bump this back into my fellow forumites' consciousness. Maybe for some who
haven't had the chance to see The Black Saber, and also for those who've seen both
of my Polish War Sabers ... B-)

Gotta excuse the sunny day, however.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 02 May, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
I'd like to bump this back into my fellow forumites' consciousness. Maybe for some who
haven't had the chance to see The Black Saber, and also for those who've seen both

The best way to bump up a topic is to add something of substance to it. Happy Gratuitous bumps of this kind assume readers can't find it on the forum pages or using the search function.

The best way to keep a thread relevant is to make sure relevant things are being added. Happy

Happy

ChadA

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

The best way to bump up a topic is to add something of substance to it. Happy Gratuitous bumps of this kind assume readers can't find it on the forum pages or using the search function.

The best way to keep a thread relevant is to make sure relevant things are being added. Happy

It IS gratuitous. Mea culpa, as the saying goes. And so it this post, for that matter. BUT, be assured,
my actions assume nothing of what you suggest about my fellow forumites.

Frankly, what appears relevant and substantial to one person may not appear so to another. These two
swords represent -- given that we are just talking about swords here; archaic objects; in fact, irrelevant
artifacts -- my personal grail quest in the sharp and pointy world. At this moment, no other sword I
have recently looked at -- the Albion Vigil comes to mind; when offered at an extremely reasonable
price of $ 900 -- comes close to exciting a " questing feeling, " if you follow me.

And that I wish to share as many views of either sword with my fellow forumites really isn't a bad thing,
I think ....
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Frankly, what appears relevant and substantial to one person may not appear so to another. These two swords represent -- given that we are just talking about swords here; archaic objects; in fact, irrelevant
artifacts -- my personal grail quest in the sharp and pointy world. At this moment, no other sword I have recently looked at -- the Albion Vigil comes to mind; when offered at an extremely reasonable price of $ 900 -- comes close to exciting a " questing feeling, " if you follow me.

And that I wish to share as many views of either sword with my fellow forumites really isn't a bad thing, I think ....

They are indeed your grail. And they're lovely. But when there is no activity in a thread, it can be assumed that interest has waned in the subject. Whether that waning is temporary or permanent is another matter. Happy

I have a thread showcasing the Latest Additions to my Collection. I'm proud of my new babies. Sometimes it's disappointing when people don't seem to notice or care and while the temptation (which I've succumbed to once or twice) to bump it is always there, I usually do my best to resist. If people were really interested in my items, they probably would have chimed in. If not, oh well, it's their loss. I collect what I collect for me, not for everyone else's approval. Happy

Think of it this way: who wants a newspaper that publishes the exact same story 10 times? Turn the idea into an ongoing series of articles, adding new info and understanding with each publication, and the interest increases, though.

You're welcome to share your sword, but feel free to make the sharing an additive, rather than repetitive experience for everyone else.

See what I'm getting at? Happy

Happy

ChadA

Jake DiVeronica

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great sword, the curve on it is so deep though that it gives me some "reach anxiety."

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jake DiVeronica wrote:
Great sword, the curve on it is so deep though that it gives me some "reach anxiety."

Thanks for the compliment., Jake. The curve IS quite amazing, and was totally
Paolo's doing -- if you've seen a couple of my other posts you'll note the curve
of those swords isn't quite as pronounced.

By the way, I appreciate that you raised this post from the quiet depths of
this forum as I feel the saber is often an under-represented sword and this
piece by Paolo Abrera -- one of the gems in my small collection -- should be
seen again ... B-)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Black Saber by Paolo Abrera
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: