Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Tinkerline Bastard SwordProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sun 08 Feb, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good to hear they are being very quick about the fixes Happy . Now if they can just get the edges right on the rest of their euro lines as well hehe.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I hope by the time I order mine this spring, I will be fortunate enough to get one with good edges. Getting a belt for it through CF, but it will be next fall before I do any further upgrades (the guard I want seems as if it will need a scabbard to go with it!

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, as far as I know the current shipment is sold out so by next fall the new edge ought to be worked out. I'd cut with mine and it worked OK, but I sharpened it before cutting yesterday and it definitely was a bit easier. When I examined it before sharpening yesterday there was a distinct bur on the edge, and this might tend to fold over during cutting making the sword seem duller than it actually is. This can be removed by slicing 7-8 ounce leather or with a buffer and the sword should perform better. Unfortunately most people don't have lots of scraps of heavy leather lying around, or a buffer either for that matter... Anyway if I am understanding them right the new sharpening method ought to take care of that as well.
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So is this new edge process going to be applied to all the line up or just your line only? Oh and will the fixed EMS and the viking sword be coming with the new edges?
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
So is this new edge process going to be applied to all the line up or just your line only? Oh and will the fixed EMS and the viking sword be coming with the new edges?

As far as I know just to my line, and I certainly hope so!

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Am I really the only one wondering how a paper shaving edge can be terrible for cutting?
New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Am I really the only one wondering how a paper shaving edge can be terrible for cutting?

Because the angle is so agressive that as you slice through a target like a bottle or mat, the target shears are a very high angle. This means that it take more force to cut through the target because you need to displace more mass because the angle is so steep. Appleseed edges displaces less mass so it cuts targets better. I can explain this with pictures if anyone needs me to Happy .
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually an appleseed edge may or may not displace more material. The relevant factors here are the thickness of the edge prior to sharpening and the angle of the edge after sharpening. If all other factors are equal in absolute terms an appleseed edge ought to cut better than a beveled edge but if both are done correctly either edge will work well enough that a human can't tell the difference.

The relevance of this to the present discussion of course is that the edge on this sword was NOT done correctly and that ought to fixed in future production.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 09 Feb, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Pearce wrote:
Actually an appleseed edge may or may not displace more material. The relevant factors here are the thickness of the edge prior to sharpening and the angle of the edge after sharpening. If all other factors are equal in absolute terms an appleseed edge ought to cut better than a beveled edge but if both are done correctly either edge will work well enough that a human can't tell the difference.

The relevance of this to the present discussion of course is that the edge on this sword was NOT done correctly and that ought to fixed in future production.

True enough...but a bevel edge at the right angle generally isn't sharp enough to shave paper. A bevel edge that is at an angle that is sharp enough to shave paper runs into the displacement issue I mentioned Happy . An appleseed edge can be made paper shaving sharp and still cut properly...which is what my sword now has. Along with a HT tough enough where the edge is fine after taking a 4 inch chuck out of a treated hardwood post that we are using as a stand. This makes me happy Happy .
Anders K.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it's not too much trouble, would you mind posting measurements for the diameter and thickness of the pommel?

Thanks! Happy
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:
[ Along with a HT tough enough where the edge is fine after taking a 4 inch chuck out of a treated hardwood post that we are using as a stand. This makes me happy Happy .

This makes me happy too!

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Tinkerline Bastard SwordProduct Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: